Maybe I'm just not a cat person... can anyone give me tips on these kittens?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rearrange my house for my pets. I only have 2 plants, up high. I do not have nick nacks, or hang things on the wall that look like toys that they can get to. I have 3 cats right now. 2 I got as adults because I already learned having a kitten is like having a toddler around, but they climb curtains and get on top of EVERYTHING. But, a little 5 week abandoned was dropped off here and I of coarse kept her. She has had my house in an uproar since the day she got here, wich was September 15th of last year. She is starting to calm down and I expect over the next year she will be sleeping all day (on my furniture) and only bugging me for some food and a warm lap to sleep on. Kittens are cute, but they are also alot of work. You may be a cat person, just not a kitten person like me.

Here is a perfect example of one of my pet peeves. I get annoyed when people say "I love kittens but then they grow up to be CATS".

I hope you are not referring to me because of my post. I love cats. That's why I have 5 and donate hundreds every year to rescue. I don't think Cassi meant it either otherwise she wouldn't have 4. Kittens to me are STILL fun. I don't think they are annoying at all. If someone doesn't like kittens, then adopt cats. There are tons currently sitting in rescue and they bond just as quickly. The plus is you know their personality. With kittens it is guesswork.

EDIT: I want to add that sometimes kittens taken away from mom too early or orphaned tend to be more of a challenge since they did not have the discipline of their mom.

Last edited:
Yes, that's kitten behavior. The chewing and stuff they will grow out of. The table knocking you can train them not to do. A large cage isn't a bad idea for now, but I'd say if they're still like this after a year, you've probably got a hyper kitty. :)

Scheduled regular play time at night can do a lot toward calming them down. The fosters I have love Da Bird and similar fishing pole/wand type toys. A lazer pointer can have all of you enjoying the heck out of yourselves (that cats with something to chase, and you watching them climb walls and go head first into furniture).

Oh yes, the laser pointers are the best for cats! It will also help them get some of their energy out. You can normally pick them up at Walmart. I've seen them in the toy department.

By reading your posts I truely believe that you are very unhappy having these kittens around. I really don't think that kittens are right for you and that you should find them a happy, kitten loving home ASAP. In the one post you even stated that you had them closed in the bathroom while you were on here. Why? I know if you're on the computer you can't directly supervise them, but if you "kitten proof" your apartment then you wouldn't have to directly supervise them. I think that it's pretty mean to sit on the computer and listen to them cry and jump at the door, too. It's one thing to keep them in there while you're gone, but not while you're home. You should be playing with them. Do yourself and these kittens a favor and find them a new home. If you can't spend time with them and they annoy you that much, then give them away. Deep down, I think that it's really what you want to do anyway. You've had an excuse for not being able to anything, that anyone has posted.I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just being straight forward.

Ok, I want to note, I had them closed in the bathroom because I was typing a reply to this thread before I left to go to the store. I didn't think closing them in a few minutes before I left would make much of a difference... and they start jumping at the door and meowing the second you put them in, it's not like they were just sitting in there while I was just lounging around the place...

I'm not trying to sound defensive... but I am trying here. I went to the store and bought some of those Petstages chewing toys, some more little toys for them, and a floor-type cardboard scratching post. I have some of those new chew toys in the freezer cause it said if you could freeze em and the cats could like that and it'd help with the teething. I am trying the foil, although I realized while I was gone, they knocked it off of the counter, so I now have it taped down.

On that note... I have a question about that. When they're closed in the bathroom, ok, the bathroom counter is small and can be covered with foil easily. But.... I mean am I really supposed to cover every counter and every surface I don't want them to get on with foil or tape? I mean the bathroom counter and the plant soil, no problem... but if I cover everything, I mean that's gonna make the place a little hard to live in for me, no?

I could see the argument that if I kitten proof the apartment I don't have to directly supervise them... but I kind of think to some extent I still DO have to... because the apartment can be fully kitten-proofed, so nothing breaks... but my aggravation is them getting up on the furniture... which requires supervision to stop....

I DO play with them. Did you read my posts? I just stated that I don't have several hours every night to play with them. Like I said, maybe my life isn't suited for a lot of pets, but I just don't have several hours to sit around and do nothing every night. Even without the cats/dog, I'm always doing something.

The attitude here kind of reminds me of another post on this forum about how some rescues assume you can't leave for 8 hours and own a dog. While I don't think you should leave for 8 hours with a border collie, I think everything can be done to some extent. Most people I know work like this: get up in the morning, go to work for 8 hours, come home, eat dinner, maybe run some errands, watch tv or do something else for an hour or two, and go to bed. And they have cats and dogs... and they don't have 2 hours per animal to play with them every night.... I mean most people I know with dogs walk them every day.... but that's about it.... the dogs just lounge around the house the rest of the time I guess.

And no offense to anyone, but if people are going to say "you need several hours per pet per day" then, do you think no one but stay-home moms and wealthy people should have pets? I'm honestly just asking, no tone implied, because most people I know don't have hours on end to devote to their pets. I mean I think to some extent, a lot of it depends on the person and the pets with that family... but let me give you an example... I have one friend who has 4 outdoor cats and an outdoor dog. They throw the ball for the dog maybe once a week, and that's it. They now have two indoor kittens (they keep them in the garage) which they play with for maybe 30 minutes a day and that's it. These animals are all vetted, spayed/neutered, healthy, and up to date on everything. The cats/dog love the owners. Now, do you think they shouldn't have pets because they're not spending hours with each animal every day?

I mean I do understand that in a perfect world, all we'd do is play with the pets. I would love to play with my dog all day long.... but I don't have time. I do play with her, don't get me wrong, but at some point I have to say, ok, mommy's got to get her real work done.

ETA: Thanks for the link to the about.com site about the cats and the behavior and all that. Very informative. I bookmarked the page. :thumbsup:

At least when it comes to exercising kittens, a lot can be said for dove-tailing. Your dog will be offended or sad if you don't make eye contact, etc. when he plays. Right now, one of my foster kittens is on his back kicking the shiz-nit out of a sparkle ball, and the other is watching him like he's the kid wearing a helmet on the playground. But, if I grabbed the string wand and waved it around... they'd both be on it (the wand, not me). Stick the pointer in your wrist watch band so the light moves as you move. Keeping them stimulated is the key; it doesn't *have* to be the same kind of intensive one on one time a dog usually needs.

Here is a perfect example of one of my pet peeves. I get annoyed when people say "I love kittens but then they grow up to be CATS". I point out to them that kittens are very annoying and get into everything, climb the curtains, etc. When I have a kitten I can't wait for it to grow up and be a cat when they act like civilized beasts. I like cats way more than I like kittens but I can tolerate kittens until they grow up.

What I'm saying is once these kittens grow up they will certainly settle down and become civil. Only you can decide if you want to deal with them lovingly and patiently until then.

I just have to say, how can you not like kittens...lol.. i love them.. but i have been lucky, I never had the problems that Ashley is having and I never had a curtain climber either..

I have had cats all my life, and I know all cats/kittens are all different. But I never had any kittens as bad as you mention, yes alot of it is because they are kittens, but like I said, none of my kittens were did as much damage as yours are. I feel bad for you because it can be frustrating. And since you have two, they should be playing with each other and getting tired out. I think you might of mentioned something about getting them fixed. While that is a great idea, it won't help calm them down in any way.

Just drive them over to me, and I'll take them of your hands they are way too cute...lol.... Do you ship...just kidding...

OK, well, I am going to play devil's advocate here. It really depends on how much kitten crap you can take and for how long you can take it. Our youngest turned 1 today. She is better. She still attacks anything that moves. She still turns her nose up at every toy designed for a cat. Feet are much more interesting. She still gives us that LOOK when we tell her to get down from somewhere and takes her sweet time thinking about it. You can't just reach to grab her without thinking or you will get hurt. And we have raised her since we found her abandoned at about 4 weeks old. Barely able to eat. We were so excited that we were getting a pet without baggage that we could raise to be a sweet, sociable, nice cat.
She has not broken anything, but it has been a very trying year. I did respond to someone who asked how she was doing that there was nothing a few swirlies would not fix.
So I get your frustration about the kitten behavior. It will get better, but how much is part of who they are. Neela is a Siamese mix. She has all the characteristic naughtiness of a Siamese. She likes pill bottles and shiny things. She will get up on any surface and paw at everything until she finds something to steal. She did this to the batteries to my toothbrush the other day. OOOPs, it fell off the counter. And drinking out of my glass. YUCK. She helped herself to my apple juice while I got up to check if they had food.
But this evening, she jumped on my lap and licked my hand, trilled at me and sat down on the back of the chair and stayed with me for an hour. So it comes down to you. If you don't think you can do it, then don't. Yeah, I don't approve of getting a pet and deciding you can't live with it, but some people just have a limit and that is really ok. If you are happy with you dog, then that is your personal limit. Don't feel bullied into keeping these kittens. They are still at a wonderful age to find new homes and adapt very quickly. Good luck.

I have to say I think ChiliPepper said it pretty good. The people that know you, know you don't just go out and get animals and then say, i don't want them... You don't have to answer to anyone. You never had kittens before, and you thought it would work out, but you got a couple of real devils there and you have tried to work threw these problems [and i know you have] and it's not getting any better for you, then it might just be time to find them a new home.. [not trying to sound cruel..], but i just want to say this cuz i know how you feel about your babies... just try to give it alittle more time before you decide.. just don't be too hasty...[not a long time, maybe a few weeks] hate to have you regret it later thinking that maybe it would of worked out if you gave it more time. i know if you decide to rehome them you will find them a good home and won't just give them to anyone. you tried your best and that's all anyone can do. there is a limit for all of us as to how much we can handle. [and again, not being sarcastic or trying to sound mean..just saying..]

I hope you are not referring to me because of my post. I love cats. That's why I have 5 and donate hundreds every year to rescue. I don't think Cassi meant it either otherwise she wouldn't have 4. Kittens to me are STILL fun. I don't think they are annoying at all. If someone doesn't like kittens, then adopt cats. There are tons currently sitting in rescue and they bond just as quickly. The plus is you know their personality. With kittens it is guesswork.

EDIT: I want to add that sometimes kittens taken away from mom too early or orphaned tend to be more of a challenge since they did not have the discipline of their mom.

Brenda, I was not referring to you. I was just saying I think it's funny that people like kittens because they are cute yet kittens can easily drive a person NUTS. Personally, I prefer lazy old cats. Though I do have a 4 year old black and white cat that is the goofiest cat you could imagine. Kittens are a handful and sometimes very challenging. They'll knock over your Christmas tree, climb the curtains, jump on your leg when you're not looking, attack your toddler as he/she walks past the cat, hide under your bed and attack your feet when you get up or go to bed, try to steal food off the counters, etc. My older cats never do those things.

When we got our kitten, we put him in a large dog crate while i wasn't home. It was mainly because we had 3 dogs and were afraid he would get into trouble. He didn't like it at first, but got used to it. That might help keep these two guys out of trouble.

They'll knock over your Christmas tree, climb the curtains, jump on your leg when you're not looking, attack your toddler as he/she walks past the cat, hide under your bed and attack your feet when you get up or go to bed, try to steal food off the counters, etc.

WOW... you nailed it there. Have met my kitten? My son thinks we have a special "kitty scratch" medicine because she thinks he is a big toy. At first I didn't think he was telling the truth that she would just attack him for no reason, but sure enough she would fly across the room at him. She stopped doing that to him but not to the poor dog. My family is afraid of her when they visit. But she loves me, sleeps at my feet, and sits with me while I watch TV. The bad things she does are cute and makes me laugh (most of the time). I can't even list all the things she had broken. I would imagine the kitties in question here are much like this one. Just mischevious and poster kitties of the old saying "curiosity killed the cat".

So.... I opened the bathroom day this morning (cause I can't watch them while I sleep, and they're up all night) and they got under the foil on the bathroom counter and in the sink). They chewed the foil into pieces as well, and yes, their chew toys are in there with them, the teething ones... So...the foil isn't fazing them. I'm going to work on getting the tape on the counter when I go home...

So.... I opened the bathroom day this morning (cause I can't watch them while I sleep, and they're up all night) and they got under the foil on the bathroom counter and in the sink). They chewed the foil into pieces as well, and yes, their chew toys are in there with them, the teething ones... So...the foil isn't fazing them. I'm going to work on getting the tape on the counter when I go home...

How many hours a day are these kittens locked up? From the sounds of it it is about 22 hours a day? If that is the case, you really should rehome them. It sounds like they are being overly destructive and mischievous because they aren't getting enough socialization and running time. While your bathroom is fine for some time, kittens need to run and burn off some energy.

Kitties love to jump up on stuff as much as chins do, can you imagine putting tape or something so a chin couldn't get on his ledges. I don't think these kittens are getting the enviroment they need.

There are plenty of things in my house that I don't care if the kittens get on. I don't care if they're on the couches (for the most part, except when they start to knead the fabric with their claws), or if they're on the bed, and so on. There are only three tables that I don't want them on and the counters. I'm allergic to animal fur, I mean I take medicine which helps tremendously, but I'd prefer to not have cat fur on the tables where I eat and the counters where I make food. I mean... is that so horrible of me?

I wouldn't want my chins on my counters either, I don't have a problem if they hop on the shelves in their cage. To me, the chins getting on their (appropriate) ledges in their cage but NOT on my kitchen counters is akin to saying I don't care if the cats get on the couch but I don't want them on the kitchen table. I don't feel the cats should have to get on every and all furniture to be happy. Again, most of the people that I know that have cats, do not want the cats on the counters or kitchen table. Maybe the only people should have cats are the ones that don't care? Just saying... cause I don't want them where I eat... sorry....

They were only in the bathroom for the 6 hours when I slept and they've been in there for the last 3 hours today cause I haven't been home. When I get home they'll be let out... I want to note--when I HAD them out in the entire apartment for 24/7, they were still destructive, which was the reason people said to put them in the bathroom. People have said put them in there when I can't watch them... well, when I'm asleep is typically when I can't watch them... and when I'm gone... I mean I'm trying what people said, but I can't stay home from school/work and not sleep because I don't want to close the cats in, I mean that's just not an option, sorry.

I mean, my dog stays crated when I'm not home and at night, because while I don't have to watch her 24/7, she still isn't ready to have the run of the place when I'm not there... and even more so when she was a puppy cause she had to learn what not to do, should I not have her either? Because she's crated at night, and then if I'm gone 8 hours she's crated, and so on....

Back