Mad Chin Farts?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chub_Chub

Okay, that title was taken from a reference on another site in regards to what my question is about... It was mentioned on there that occassionally chins will emit a smell, similar to "burnt almonds" (again, that sites wording) when they are upset or angry.. Anyone experience this besides me?

I thought at first that my boy smelled like vitamins, but I guess it could also be interpreted as burnt almonds (I've never smelled burned nuts of any kind tho?). He only smells like this when he gets angry at being caught, he will come right up to my face during playtime and I never smell anything then. And on very rare occasions, one of my other boys will also smell vitamin-y. What is this? Is it really a mad chin fart, or is it just a pheremone or something boys give off to exert dominance, etc?

The chins are just releasing their scent glands in their anus. It isn't gas, but a strange aroma that isn't all that bad - I can't imagine a predator running away from that. They release it when they are scared...but I think that some chins will release it to show annoyance towards something that is happened to them or around them.

It's totally normal. Probably once or twice a month someone makes that stink here.

My girl makes a smell when she's bouncing off the walls hyper and I accidentally scare her by moving or talking louder than normal. It smells bad. I have no idea what burnt almonds smell like either so I can't tell you that's what it is, but I never noticed it smelled like vitamins.

Chinchillas cannot fart, which is why they get bloat.

The smell you are experiencing is a scent gland located just inside the anal opening similar to a dog's anal glands. It's white and when a chinchilla becomes upset or stressed they will push and essentially make the gland roll out and emit the odor you are smelling. Each chinchilla has a different unique smell I've noticed. Generally they smell the same but there are small differences.

The day I brought Carlos home I immediately burritoed him up so I could have a closer look at his parts to make sure he was in fact a boy. I took him in from a shelter on the mainland and they 'thought' he was a boy but they were not 100% sure so I needed to look asap.

He gave off this odour that was kind of like a vitamin smell of some sort but I'd describe his smell more like a cheesy popcorn smell. I'm assuming he let this odour out b/c he was really scared: new home, new people, airplane/car ride etc.

I also think it smells like vitamins. I smell it in chins which are frightened or trying to get away when held. There is a scent gland in the anus which you can see protrude when they emit this smell. I honestly don't know what the purpose is though and my guesses would only be speculation.

My boys do this...........the smell they emit is sorta vitaminy, or like very strong urine. That is what I thought is was until right now. thank you so much for explaining this to me. The upstairs 3 do this almost every night as they run up & down their cages and sorta play fight between the cages. unless they are actually urinating??

Thank you everyone for the responses. I did a search on here before I posted since I didn't remember ever seeing the topic before.. And I was beginning to think I was the only person having this happen, LOL. I wasn't worried since my Lil STINKER is healthy otherwise, just curious what everyones take on it was :laughitup:

I always thought that it smelled like burnt almonds, but I heard someone refer to it as the "pasta" smell, and then I thought, hmmm it DOES smell like pasta, too!!!

My boys emit it when they are startled.

Yup, Cheddar emits a weird smell shen she is scared.

I thought at first that my boy smelled like vitamins, but I guess it could also be interpreted as burnt almonds (I've never smelled burned nuts of any kind tho?).
:laughitup:!!!!!!

Ahahahaha...ahaa...ahhh. -wipes tears-
In other news, Sonya does this when she is scared or annoyed, usually when I try to pick her up. Never had Mork do it, and I can't recall for Rodya, though his scent could be the same as Sonya's. But I did notice this about Sonya, but never actually thought, "Hey, where does that smell come from and why?" ...thanks for the info!!! Love this post. If this was craigslist I would put it up as a best of.

Also, when i first read your title, I just assumed you were from the Massachusetts area, and were using 'mad' instead of 'a lot of', rather than 'angry' as you did mean it. Then I read your name and I was like, 'hey, maybe the burrito-ed chinchilla has gas because of the mexican food.' :rofl:
:laughitup:

Chinchillas cannot fart, which is why they get bloat.

Sure they can. Gas is produced in their intestines and moves through, eventually being expelled through the anus. Chinchillas cannot BURP, and the gas produced in their stomach can cause bloat. (Chins, like other animals, can also get bloat from excessive gas in the intestines, but it's not because they lack the ability to fart.)

Omg...i will never look at my chins the same....that was freakin hilarious

I have 2 chinchillas & one of them, Tubby, often emits this onion-like smell when he's getting frisky. My other chinchilla hardly ever does it & when he does emit this odour, it's not as bad as Tubby's.

Agreed with minirex. Chins fart, not burp or vomit. If they didn't fart ( which is simply gas leaving the digestive system ) they would never get over bloat.

Does anyone have any actual research information regarding chins having anal sacs, or is this based on assumption? I've never smelled a burnt almond chin... but I'm not doubting they do left off a smell in some way or another, what I am curious about is if this has a scientific basis to it, or if it's based on the knowledge of other animals, primarily carnivores, having anal sacs.

I've seen white on the inside of the anus, but I've never distinguished it as a gland. Usually if you grab a chin and it wants to get away. I've never smelt any nuts or pasta though...

Perhaps I don't pay enough attention to my chins' butts? I searched earlier but was unable to find information about chinchillas or rats either having anal sacs.

Latest posts

Back