knot?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cindy

my beige chin Holly has a weird knot on her left side. When I got her, the lady that adopted her to me said that she's had it since she was born (i thought that was weird, but didn't think it was a big deal). if there's an easy fix that anyone knows about i'd be willing to try it

DSC01113.jpg

DSC00778.jpg

By knot do you mean matted fur? Or is it some sort of cow-lick type deal?

If it's a mat of fur, you can usually just tug on it and it will come out in a "fur slip". Or try combing it out.

If it's that mat on the side there, give it a gentle tug and it will come out. The fur will grow back in very quickly if you do this. It's hard to believe that she's had that since she was born...but who knows, I would think that it would have come out on its own when the adult coat was growing in...

if it's that bad I wouldn't suggest pulling it, unless it slips easily. It may just be a bad matt that keeps getting worse instead of slipping. Hold the fur with your fingers and slide a small pair of sizzors between the end of the knot and the skin. Be careful not to clip the chinny! ;)

by snipping it out, with dust baths and maybe a good comb through your little one should be all set...

Most of the time mats slide out very easily with just a little tug. If you snip out a mat, there will be a depression in the fur for a long time. Slipping out a mat will allow for the fur to grow back VERY fast, usually within a few weeks.

ive tried tugging on it but i it doesnt come out...maybe i'm not tugging hard enough? i just don't want to hurt her cause everytime i try she squaks at me runs into her house and peers out like "wtf?!?"

I think I'll try the fur slip one more time...if not i guess i'll just try to snip it off...i don't think i'll mind if there's a depression since she's had this knot for longer..although she might be mad i gave her a bad haircut....

thanks everyone!

You can actually tug pretty firmly. I'm not saying yank, but you don't have to be super gentle. It might be easier if you have someone hold her while you tug so she can't run away.. A comb might help too if you have one.

You can pull it pretty firmly and tug it out ..... or it may be like someone said like scar tissue and the hair just grows in funny there.... because it doesnt look like a normal little knot.

Looking her with the fur tuffs on her rump looks like she could use a good combing! Looks like she has thick dense fur, and I agree with Cathy it looks like a weird type of knot.

I would personally try to slip it, if you pull too hard she'll let you know. If it grows back the same way, probably an injury as a kit or being born!

With some persistence I was able to pull the major knots out..and they were HUGE chinne dreads..I just had to take a picture...

DSC05412.jpg

now the only thing is Holly's super PO'd at me even though I made sure to give her treats!....i guess no one told her beauty is pain?

Latest posts

Back