kinda strange question LOL

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marinewifey4433

So I have seen on here before, the confusion about male and female chins. ( their sex parts ) Well I've seen lots of pictures of males and females and I have two males ,and I don't see how people get confused or are my males just weird? Their balls are HUGE! And hang down far. Is this weird?

Not all male chins have big balls. I was confused with my first chin who was female, but I thought she was male because of the female cone which I thought was a penis

Actually those aren't its "balls" as people think of them. All chins have them and they're generally all the same size. And the word you're looking for is testicles I believe. My dog has a ball, he plays fetch with it. Technically what you see in the scrotal sac is the epididymis not the testes.

Usually if a male is "hanging low" it's because he's warm, if you see the sac large all the time then you are probably keeping them at the higher of the acceptable temp range or above. If the sperm gets too hot they will die, so the epididymis is able to descend into the scrotal sac to keep the sperm cooler or move up against the body to keep them warmer so they don't die from cold.

Actually those aren't its "balls" as people think of them. All chins have them and they're generally all the same size. And the word you're looking for is testicles I believe. My dog has a ball, he plays fetch with it. Technically what you see in the scrotal sac is the epididymis not the testes.

Usually if a male is "hanging low" it's because he's warm, if you see the sac large all the time then you are probably keeping them at the higher of the acceptable temp range or above. If the sperm gets too hot they will die, so the epididymis is able to descend into the scrotal sac to keep the sperm cooler or move up against the body to keep them warmer so they don't die from cold.

I call them balls, LOL and no the temp is 62 degrees in the room they are in.. i keep a therm. in there. so they are not too warm for sure. plus their marble slab that i keep in the freezer is changed out every 2 hours just in case.

ive always assumed they were the testicles as well. i've noticed 2 different hanging sacs on mutliple occasions and i also keep him at the required temperatures. for instance, right now it is 54 outside and we do not have the ac or heater on in my apartment. its literally freezing in here (in texas, 54 IS freezing).

ive asked a few of the other breeders here and they say that some male chins do tend to have larger scrotums than others. i dont think it's anything to worry about.

thanks. good to know.

Or it could be he's just really relaxed. My basement is around 60-65 right now and Cuda's are almost always hanging, unless I pick him up and upset him, in which case they are retracted back up.

All of mine will show off their LPCB's when they are in their cages, but often in pictures they are being held on their backs and they can move them up into their body(and usually do from my experience) when you hold them. If they are relaxed and not stressed you'll probably see them.

Correct me if Im wrong Riven.

ETA: my chin room is at 57-58 degrees and I still often see them.

I have 3 boys, 2 of them have their testicles showing all the time no matter the temperature. A couple days ago my room was at 55 degrees and 2 of the 3 had testicles resting on shelves. One boy has never, ever displayed his set and I am positive he is a boy.

I have to agree with Nicole. Most of my chin's testicles are not visible unless it's warm (after playtime). I have maybe one or two that are noticeable all the time.

I have to agree with Nicole. Most of my chin's testicles are not visible unless it's warm (after playtime). I have maybe one or two that are noticeable all the time.

Apparently all of our chins are going to die of heatstroke then(even though they're not above 65), since their "man bits" are always hanging down because they're too hot... Just like only pregnant chins lay on their sides, I guess... :rolleyes:

Apparently all of our chins are going to die of heatstroke then(even though they're not above 65), since their "man bits" are always hanging down because they're too hot... Just like only pregnant chins lay on their sides, I guess... :rolleyes:

Umm i'm pretty sure I said most ;) I'm speaking from my experience, no need to be snarky.

Latest posts

Back