Kilts and Culture

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Opinion on kilts...

• They are silly and no one should wear them

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They should only be able to wear them at certain cultural events

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Only people of that culture should be able to wear them

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Kilts for everyone! Stay out of peoples' business!

Votes: 22 84.6%

• Total voters

Jeanette

From Q to H
I saw this news story about a principal who forced a boy to change out of his scottish kilt because he thought that it promoted cross dressing.
http://www.cbc.ca/cp/Oddities/090517/K051704AU.html

I was really upset at the fact that the principal would do this. I mean, it's just as bad as telling a girl to not wear their hijab to school.
In my opinion, no one has the right to tell you that you can't wear something if it's part of your culture or religion.

Let's see what other people think!

Was it causing a distraction? If yes, how badly was it distracting people, and which people were distracted (the students or the teachers)? Unfortunately for administrators, they have to walk the lines between happy parents, happy school board, happy teachers, and "productive" children, which has to be one heck of a balancing act much of the time. However, from my experiences with public schools both as a student and an adult tax payer, I think that public schools turn out a lot like what Duke Acton said, "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."

The fact that this principal thought a traditional garment was tantamount to cross-dressing leads me to believe he/she was never introduced to much history, and certainly doesn't raise my opinion of public school administrators by any means. That said, if it could be determined whether the kid was enjoying being Scottish and wasn't wearing it completely traditionally (i.e.: no underwear and only the leather belt to hold it up), I don't see a reason it shouldn't be worn. If he was doing to get attention, though, the principal should have spoken with the boy, and then his parents, to ask that he not wear it again. The urge among teachers and administrators alike seems to be to pigeon hole students in the attempt to get as many through the system at acceptable levels as possible. I don't feel that education should be as anonymous as it seems, but to give each child what she or he needs to excel in a school environment would be a monumental task-- and require a complete 180 in terms of how the country's entire system is structured, funded, and managed. I'm probably too young to be this jaded, but I have a feeling we'll have a national 'aye' or 'nay' on gay marriage before our public schools get the reform they need.

I feel if the school wants to control what kids wear they need to go to uniforms. No pigeonholing as mentioned earlier. In WA it was very rare you saw school uniforms, here in the south they are required everywhere.

I have a friend that wears a kilt. He wears a utilikilt for normal everyday use. Went skiing in one a couple years ago, haven't figured out if he's brave or just a wee bit crazy.

I am sorry, but Spoof, that utilikilt ad with the shadow of the man in the background wearing a skirt is just hilarious. As much as I want to say it should not distracting, I think it would be. I agree on the uniform comment. Otherwise we are going to have a new lawsuit every year about what exactly counts as a "shoe" and whatnot.

Some of the ads are really funny. The ad that was up when I linked the page was one of a guy walking out to get his paper - bent over and the neighbor lady fell over her trash pile. I just about died laughing.

I think a guy in a kilt is certainly distracting, but not more so than your confident guy in shorts. Being confident makes you give a guy second and third looks regardless of body style.

Then of course you've always got to wonder if they're wearing anything else, shorts don't go anywhere in high winds, but kilts do. :p

I think wear what you want. It is your life and if someone showed up in a kilt by me, yes I would take a second look, but after that move on....

Yaaaa - Wear those kilts whenever you want!

And believe me, I'd take a second look, a third look, a fourth look.........

Attachments

• gerard kilt.jpg
    gerard kilt.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 87
hahahaha of course peggy had to put up a picture of gerard!

Kilts remind me of this song about kilts, but I'm not sure if it's appropriate, so I won't post it for you all :D

Since Tara was complaining in chat :)

A few random, and then Kiefer Sutherland - cuz he's a baaabe.

Attachments

• men-in-kilts-kilts-645814_300_400.jpg
    men-in-kilts-kilts-645814_300_400.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 72
  • men in kilt6.jpg
    men in kilt6.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 70
  • kieferkilt.jpg
    kieferkilt.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 71
That is terrible! I lived in Scotland for 4 years (went to university there) and I'd think one could argue this is cultural discrimination. Who would think it has anything to do with cross dressing? The principal should definitely apologize.

Kilts are not cross dressing and to think so is just ludicrous. Wearing one's "plaid" is a great honor and should never be dismissed so lightly! Shame on that principle. May William Wallace kick his butt someday over the great beyond!

Found this just for you Peg. I'm digging the leather jacket combo.

Attachments

• GB.jpg
    GB.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 70
Hang on, is this a public school? If so, I am far more offended by the fact that the principal forbids cross dressing than the fact that he forbids kilts.

No, it is a Christian private school, and they signed a code or something dumb when they attend, promising not to do anything pretty much, no dancing, etc. And Rebecca you are right but I cannot even in my wildest dreams imagine a Christian school being ok with cross dressing.

Okay yeah if it is a Christian private school then I still don't like the policy, but it is their right.

Somewhat off-topic, is it legal for private schools in the US to discriminate against people with certain ethnic backgrounds?

Latest posts

Back