Just one Kit

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mable

Chin Mommy :)
I have recently adopted a female chinchilla from an animal shelter 2 weeks ago. i woke up this morning to see that she had pushed out a kit. only one. i am not sure if she has another in there or if it takes time between births? please give me some advise i am close to just taking her to the vet to make sure she only has one kit.
thank you

There are many chins that only have one kit. As long as she isn't still laboring, and is acting normal and not lethargic, she should be fine. That said, I believe a member on here had a chin go 24 hours between births.

There are many chins that only have one kit. As long as she isn't still laboring, and is acting normal and not lethargic, she should be fine. That said, I believe a member on here had a chin go 24 hours between births.

Great thank you for the information .. I have separated the mother and kit from the other girls I got so she can rest I will keep aneye on her to make sure shes alright ... Just worried :(

Sounds like this was quite the surprise. Here's a link the the Breeding & Babies FAQ's http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=864. I've never had kits, but I've heard they become mobile within a few hours of birth, so if you don't have a baby safe cage you may want to get on that ASAP.

Thank you for the link I will deff check it out and yes it was a big surprise when I woke up and saw this little kit running around lol

well i have checked back and she did push out another kit but it was stillborn :( i tried to help it but i guess it wasnt meant to be but i still have one beautiful baby kit :)

Last edited by a moderator:
And to think animal shelter folks laughed at me when I picked up two rescues from them.First thing I did was grab a tail and do a "hair ring(really a penis) check!!! One of the girls even commented on why I did the tail hold.Tried to educate a little since she thought I was being mean to them.I am a strict male only owner and I will check appendages always!I told her "yes they may be upset a little with me for violating their privates,but all will be forgiven when they are spoiled in the luxury of my Hundred Acre Woods Gang".Then I showed her a few pics of my guys/cages/etc .It helped alot when I got ready to load them up that I had my little two chin special chin cage all ready with matching mini liners,a little hay bag,a wood stick and a small bit of pellets in each side for them!

I would not take a female to the vet unless it's an emergency, especially while birthing. It is un-needed stress. If there is signs of severe fatigue, continued labor, troubles pushing, etc. then it would be ideal. But without any signs of concern it's just stressing her out more, especially after a recent move.

Chinchillas can have 1 - 6 ( I've heard of more once I thought too ) so she may have another, or she may not.

Make sure the cage has small wire spacing or you will have a baby that is missing and comes back injured or you find dead. 1/2" at the largest.

Good luck, and for some reason the photos didn't show up... :p

hey yall thank you for your responses and help... i have attached photos of a healthy now 5 day old kit. sadly the other one was pushed out too late and was stillborn :( but this little kit is active and happy and getting bigger by the day :):)

Attachments

• baby.jpg
    baby.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 73
  • mommyandbaby.jpg
    mommyandbaby.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 77
  • baby day 1.jpg
    baby day 1.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 69
awwww! baby chins are the cutest lil things. :))

i'd be thinking about switching out the carefresh bedding to pine shavings though, since carefresh can cause impaction if ingested.

My Chin has been pregnant 3 times and 2 out of three she has only had 1 kitt. As long as she seems to be acting fine, she is probably done. My Chin, when in labor was at the bottom of her cage and her head was in the corner. You would definately be able to tell if she was still in labor. She would be very uncomfortable. Also, another sign is if she is letting the kitt nurse yet. The one time she had 2 kitts, she wasn't much interested in the first born until she was finished. GOOD LUCK!!!:thumbsup:

well here is an update mom is healthy and the baby kit is now 7 weeks and its a boy!!!!.. cuter then ever.. thank for all your information and help.. also i did use to use carefresh bedding but reading up on it from this site . i found it was not good for the chinchillas as i watched them eat a few pieces.. i now stick to pine.. i have to clean the cage more often but it worth it for the health of my chins :)

Congrats on a healthy baby!! Make sure to separate the kit from mom at 8 weeks since he can get her pregnant at that age.

Latest posts

Back