Just got two new Chins, ready for breeding

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am more than a little skeptical about the background on these chins. I agree completely with Sumiko. When you go to the show in PA you should bring all of your chins and have them evaluated - there are plenty of experienced people who could look at these chins you bought and tell you what they think. I would hold off on doing any pairing until you get a mentor and get to a show :) Trust me judging fur quality is much more complicated than most people think and takes a trained eye.

Thats a good idea! I didn't think of that, I'll try and bring them. Maybe enter them in the show to see how they do.

Since no one else has asked...........
How much extra cash to you have saved in a separate from your other bank accounts, special 'just for chin emergency' account just for vet bills just in case something were to go wrong........

Since no one else has asked...........
How much extra cash to you have saved in a separate from your other bank accounts, special 'just for chin emergency' account just for vet bills just in case something were to go wrong........

I have $1,000 saved up for chin emergencies. I know a c-section can be over 500 and medications are expensive in case something happens.

I'm kinda skeptical, I don't believe that you could learn everything that you need to know about breeding in a week or less, but that's IMOP

Your right. But it wasn't a week it was a few weeks, and I'm still learning I admit. I know textbook thing but I don't have the experience, and theres only one way to get that.

He was $250 I believe. However, I've paid much more for some very nice standards which were worth it to me. This isn't to say you have to shell out hundreds for a good quality chin but most good animals will be more than $100... I recommend a mentor to help you choose your first breeding pair so they can show you the qualities and faults in each and how the animals compliment each other.

Okay thanks, I'll save up to get some nice quality chins at the PA show. I thought they were more, I know a good Ryerson chin is $400. Is anyone here going to go to the PA show? Maybe someone could possibly help me find some good chins there.

Your right. But it wasn't a week it was a few weeks, and I'm still learning I admit. I know textbook thing but I don't have the experience, and theres only one way to get that.

But there are other ways to get experience other than doing by your self, like having a mentor who breeds chins where you can go to their house and learn with hands on so you know what's going/could happen and what everything looks like before you go off and try it all on your own. Atleast that's what I would do before getting serious about breeding.

I have $1,000 saved up for chin emergencies. I know a c-section can be over 500 and medications are expensive in case something happens.

When I took a chin in for an emergency c-section 3 years ago they wanted $1800 up front. Calling your regular vet and your emergency vet to get an idea of what a c-section cost in your area may be a good idea so you'll know how much you should have saved.

I have nothing other than to say Wow and I think we all saw this one coming a mile away.......

i still dont see how you could just trade your chinchillas for other ones if they were your pets??? i have a few chins that i cant or wouldnt imagine even breeding for as long as they live but id never trade them for something else...they have a special place in my heart and i love them...

i still dont see how you could just trade your chinchillas for other ones if they were your pets??? i have a few chins that i cant or wouldnt imagine even breeding for as long as they live but id never trade them for something else...they have a special place in my heart and i love them...
Exactly! My babies are just that, I couldn't imagine just trading them in like a used car.

Ok I was trying to just not say it but you are making a huge mistake and aren't ready. You are 17 how are you going to hand feed babies?
how are you going to handle finding peices of kits in you cage? Can you handle seeing a kit torn to bits with its intestines out but still breathing. Do you have the strength to end its suffering right there or are you going to drive 30 minutes to an hour to the vet?

What happens the first time you come home to an appendage hanging from a female to find she prolapsed?

What happens when you come home to find your favorite male or female with so many bite marks that when she/he is given fluids to try to save them the fluids leak through the skin?
Are you ready to stay up all night checking on a kit, feeding kits, then going to work/school?
What happens when you feel the wonder of babies moving, watch momma pull them out only to either have them born dead or if you manage to revive them and hand feed them and love them have them die?
Why are you breeding? you say to improve but do you even know what you want to improve?

Weeks...weeks of research and you are still asking basic care questions. You have not been to a show...all chinchillas have nice soft fur it doesn't make quailities? What are you improving? do you know what to improve in your animals?

I realize that many of us were young when we started but you have not really shown much responsability or maturity you seem like a very very impulsive young person. Weeks isn't a long wait or a long time to research at all yet you make it sound like it was forever. You are repeating mistakes we have all warned you against...

and really you flippen tradded you beloved pets? My first chinchillas werent worth breeding they stayed here loved by me for 19 years, I would have never dumped them off and I sure as heck would not have bred animals from a breeder willing to trade"breedable" females for pets.

I have 100 chinchillas..they all except a few come to my hands with no treats and can be handled..

Last edited:
I could tell you stories about chinchilla breeding that would make you reconsider...well, they should make you reconsider. Don't do it unless you are fully prepared to spend a ton of money just to have your heart broken. Just because someone only has a couple females in breeding it doesn't make them immune to serious problems of all different types.

I have 250 chins. This is the most stressful job I have ever had with worrying constantly about everyone all the time. The chins that aren't in breeding are much less of a worry.

If you do not want to be worried and stressed all the time because the babies aren't eating, the parents aren't getting along, etc, just keep chins as fun pets. Leave the breeding up to people that are already stressed and can handle any issues arising from breeding.

At this point all I can say about it is that you have no idea of what you are in for and any that can go wrong will go wrong... Kristy already asked you all the questions I would have asked...

Star, I know I am 17 but I still believe I can do this. Yes I am prepared for that, I have seen worse things before. I am prepared to drive up to Cornell Veterinary if needed. And those questions are what every breeder must face.

I want to eventually get to the level of everyone here but right now I want to improve the chinchillas in my area. Pet stores sell low quality chins for $250 and people buy them, they then get sick and die. That happened to a friend of mine. I want to breed healthy good conditioned chins for the people in my area. We mostly have sickly chins with teeth problems, fur biters, ect.

I understand that everyone here has formed their own opinion about me, that is pretty clear. And I know nothing I say or do will change those opinions so I'm not gonna try. I'm just going to be honest. If you want me to just leave this forum then tell me, I know my difference of ideas might bother some of you.

No one asked you to leave we would rather you stay and learn but I can say after 14 years of breeding many many more of owning you have no idea what you are in for...

I wish you all the luck in the world, but you have been warned and each time you hold a dying baby or dying breeding animal in your arms you lose a peice of yourself..

It would question the quality of those females and I think it is just cruel and Crappy dumping off your first pets like that frankly....to be honest. But maybe it is just the hormones I am suffering from But I sure as heck would feel really guilty. You remind me of all the others that get a whole bunch of breeding animals breed them into the ground then dump them off after a year or two and the novelty wears off

I am done posting here as there really is no point and I would have skipped it all together but I just couldn't I have seen so many people just not want to listen at all maybe someone else will see this and wait...

Last edited:
How can you breed good quality chins if you are starting with poor quality animals who don't even have a full pedigree. They could be descendents of pet store animals carrying malo for all you know.

You can't start with crap (genetics-wise) and produce quality.

No one asked you to leave we would rather you stay and learn

It would question the quality of those females and I think it is just cruel and Crappy dumping off your first pets like that frankly....to be honest. But maybe it is just the hormones I am suffering from But I sure as heck would feel really guilty.
its best to stay and learn i promise...ive had my fair share of looking horrible on the forum..i stay to learn all that i can learn...

i agree.....i could never dump away my 3 females that look like ugly little chinnie rats...they were my first chins...they mean the most to me

Well see we aren't going to ask you to leave the forum because when things go wrong and you don't know how to care for them...and not to bring up painful memories, but you already lost a chin from improper care...we want to be the ones you turn to for help...because we love the chins. That's why we breed and that's why we try to keep unprepared and uncommitted people from breeding. We love the chins, especially our pet chins or our first chins, and because we love them we would be willing to give up that feeling of "wow I really want to do this" and NOT breed when all the people who know better than us tell us not to.

If you were really and truly convicted that the quality of chins needed to be improved, you would not rush in and potentially make a mess of things...you'd take our advice, separate those chins until they can be shown and their quality determined by people who know what they are talking about, and not by the guy trying to sell me his crap chins for my pet chins, and wait until you could really help better the species, not contribute to the mass of young breeders like yourself who are only producing more and more low quality chins because they don't even know what makes a quality chin.

I know it is hard to get over that urge to go full bore into something that seems so fun...but please please do :) Quench your thirst by going to shows, visiting reputable breeders and learning, and playing with your pets...because you should not be breeding an animal you have not even kept as a pet successfully.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back