Just got two new Chins, ready for breeding

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Takuraktty

Okay I've done my research and feel ready. I just got two girls, both 1 1/2 from a local breeder. They are a little shy so I'll work with them. I exchanged my pet quality boys who were real lovers. I still have my lovely little Howl who I got as a kit from another local breeder. I'm pretty excited, and so is Howl. He's in a cage next to the ladies and is barking at them non stop and running around his cage, show off.

The large girl is a standard and is 800 grams. The other is a homo beige and is about 600. I'll post pictures of Howl and his new ladies soon.

Congrats on your new chins! However, if you just got them you really should have observed a 30 day quarantine so that they can get used to your household and in case they carry any illnesses, but unfortunately it is now too late for that with your boy right next to them.

What qualities do they have? What are their faults? How do they compliment each other? How far back do their peds go and what lines are they from?

The questions Sumiko put forth are good ones. When researching into breeding, you need to not only look at size and what can go wrong with the breeding, you need to understand quality. Unless you went to a reputable breeder that has been to many shows and has a quality herd or you went to a show, you would not be able to spot these traits that make a chinchilla "quality". I know you are eager to breed and you have to start somewhere, but we don't want you to start the wrong way and get in too deep too fast.

How is the fur density of all three chins? What color is Howl? Have any of the chins been shown? Have you seen them under show lights to better judge their color and clarity? Conformation? Clear bar? Strength of fur?

What qualities do they have? What are their faults? How do they compliment each other? How far back do their peds go and what lines are they from?
The standard female has a great coat, and good size. The beige female also has a good coat but is a tad small, luckily Howl is a decent size. All of them have good coats and the two girls seem to have good personalities they're already eating from my hand.

The beige doesn't have the thickest coat but it has good texture.

Sadly the ped don't go back to far, but they're from the breeders lines that I got them from. The girls are from a local breeder who doesn't have a website and Howl is from a woman named Terri, who calls her breeding Lovable Chins.

I'm looking at one more female from Lucky Mountain Chinchillas. She is also about 1 1/2. Shes a nice standard.

The questions Sumiko put forth are good ones. When researching into breeding, you need to not only look at size and what can go wrong with the breeding, you need to understand quality. Unless you went to a reputable breeder that has been to many shows and has a quality herd or you went to a show, you would not be able to spot these traits that make a chinchilla "quality". I know you are eager to breed and you have to start somewhere, but we don't want you to start the wrong way and get in too deep too fast.

How is the fur density of all three chins? What color is Howl? Have any of the chins been shown? Have you seen them under show lights to better judge their color and clarity? Conformation? Clear bar? Strength of fur?

Yeah I agree, I'm using these as starting breeding stock and will try to continue to improve them.

Howl is a white mosiac. The beige was shown and took 2nd, the standard has not been shown though.

Man, wasn't it just a week or two ago we all told you we did not believe you to be ready to start breeding, and you told us how sincere you were when you realized that yourself and decided to hold off...Not much conviction or commitment for a person making a life-long choice to breed these animals...

Man, wasn't it just a week or two ago we all told you we did not believe you to be ready to start breeding, and you told us how sincere you were when you realized that yourself and decided to hold off...Not much conviction or commitment for a person making a life-long choice to breed these animals...

I'm still doing research and I'm not gonna put Howl with the girls for some time. I also get a lot more information on what I'm getting into. I also got supplies such as a heating pad, powdered goats milk (in case I need to bottlefeed), life line and other medications.

Good coat as in dense, good clarity when viewed under grading lights, strong and straight fur shaft, bright white bellies, bright white bar, even veiling without a halo around the neck? Are they of good conformation?

Good coat is not a term to describe the qualities of a chinchilla.

Have the parents or grandparents of these chins ever been shown? I've never heard of that breeder. Why is the pedigree limited? If from good lines and a good breeder, you should have extensive ped info on them... maybe the parents were from petstores or rescues?

none of his chinchillas are tame?????? that should be a red flag

No, I mean they are decently tame like they eat out of your hand and let you pet them. He wanted two that love people, his don't run to up to you unless you have a treat. They like to be pet but not held, like the two I traded.

You don't want to be at a "starting point" with chins that are not of the very best quality. You buy the absolute best you can afford, from good breeders, with complete pedigrees. Even better if you buy them right off the show table. Then you go up from there. You don't get whatever you can get your hands on (or trade for) and then try and improve them. Unless you want to be a back yard breeder I suppose.

You don't want to be at a "starting point" with chins that are not of the very best quality. You buy the absolute best you can afford, from good breeders, with complete pedigrees. Even better if you buy them right off the show table. Then you go up from there. You don't get whatever you can get your hands on (or trade for) and then try and improve them. Unless you want to be a back yard breeder I suppose.

No, I don't want to be a backyard breeder. But your right..that is my idea. Start with some decent stock then go up. I'm going to the show in PA this year and plan to get better stock there to improve.

I know you're going to feel like everyone is jumping on you. Yes, everyone started somewhere. Five years ago, I was new to breeding too.
However, the reason I didn't get hassled is because I saved up my $ for good quality chins, researched for months, visited a rancher and went to a show before breeding. At my first show, I bought the Grand Show champion, a beige male, and a very strong/densely-furred standard female. I asked lots of questions and got the help I needed since I couldn't be expected to know anything about quality yet - I was just a newbie! You should start out by going to a show or visiting a rancher or experienced REPUTABLE breeder and buying the very best you can!

Why start with low quality? You'll never be able to catch up to the quality of everyone else as they also improve their herds. We don't need more pet quality chins.

well he doesnt sound all that great by him wanting "tame" chinchillas.... all of my chinchillas are tame....some will run up to me and some i have to get myself, but they are all tame in my opinion... i still dont see why if you are a good breeder, that you would down grade by trading to beautiful quality chinchillas for a poor quality chinchilla for your children , when you have your own chinchillas for them that are suppose to be great quality...i know not all of my chinchillas are of the best quality, but id never let one of my good ones go for a bad one just over personality.... so he sounds really fishy to me..

As I said I am going to get better quality when I got to the show. aznmexaggie do you remember how much you paid for the Grand Show Champion? What is a good estimated price for a high quality breeding chin.

I know I'm just starting and I do appreciate all of your advise. I might very well end up keeping these girls as pets, and upgrade in the future.

I am more than a little skeptical about the background on these chins. I agree completely with Sumiko. When you go to the show in PA you should bring all of your chins and have them evaluated - there are plenty of experienced people who could look at these chins you bought and tell you what they think. I would hold off on doing any pairing until you get a mentor and get to a show :) Trust me judging fur quality is much more complicated than most people think and takes a trained eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back