Is Neve considered Mosaic?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Walker

Cincillà italiano!
I always just called her that White Wilson breed for the last 2 weeks I had this amazing girl, but I know she has some odd colored fur.

What would you guys say she is, I am looking to all you intelligent breeders out there.

God she's so cute it hurts...

100_1475.jpg

100_1493.jpg

100_1492.jpg

Now, the way she looks , she could be called a mosaic? But she also has a faint gold stripe on her back, isnt there one called a gold bar?

Also, what are all the letters and numbers, like..TOV...T66, and so on..

oh, and for good measures...

100_1495.jpg

Neve is mosiac. White Wilson is just a desriptive term used to describe where the shading is on a mosiac. I hope that makes sense. Wite Wisons typically have shading to their ears and to the base of their tail. Neve looks to be a white wilson, but she also has a little shading to other areas of her face and body which would make her mosiac in my opinion. She's really cute. Chins are so funny! Looks like she knows she's got you wrapped around her finger in that picture! She walks all over you- Litterally! LOL!

FYI - You guys have it backwards, it's Wilson White, not White Wilson.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

YEah, she LOVES the computer, whenever I am on the floor she crawls right on my back, then either lays on my head or on my shoulder.

Maybe she is narcissistic and knows I'm on this website finding her new toys, and food and dust.

I cant get over, for after almost 2 weeks how much her personality opened up, shes a energetic little love nut now.

I always hear that term Wilson White, and I just thought it was a Breeder name of a white chin...duh!!!:laughitup: glad I read this thread.

by the way, she is adorable.

Last edited:
TOV means touch of velvet and means that the chin has darker veiling on the top of their fur...also called blacks, black velvet (TOV on standard coloration) brown velvets (TOV on beige) etc. Any color can be TOV...it's a genetic trait meaning the chin has to have one TOV parent to be a TOV. TOV is also a lethal gene meaning putting two TOVs together will result in 25% of fertilized eggs from developing (doesn't mean dead kits are born, means eggs just dont develop).

The numbers and letters are a way for breeders to keep track of kits - the letter is the year and the number is the number that kit is for the year...so for example this year is X and I have just had X11 and X12 born so those are my 11th and 12th kits for the year. Some letters are not used because they look like numbers like O...

Quite the collection of comedies there Rob! I think Neve likes them as well. She is a beauty!

The yellowing to her fur could be pee staining or it could be yellow fur. For breeders, yellow fur is undesirable and would be considered a pet quality animal. IMO, it is yellow fur and not pee stain. She is definately not a goldbar. Just a white mosaic.

She's cute.

Volunteer, thank you so much for that post, and for everyone.

Eroom, I agree! Their little paws feel so nice on your scalp.

Neve is mosiac. White Wilson is just a desriptive term used to describe where the shading is on a mosiac. I hope that makes sense. Wite Wisons typically have shading to their ears and to the base of their tail. Neve looks to be a white wilson, but she also has a little shading to other areas of her face and body which would make her mosiac in my opinion. She's really cute. Chins are so funny! Looks like she knows she's got you wrapped around her finger in that picture! She walks all over you- Litterally! LOL!

Wilson white does not describe markings. It just gives you an idea of where the mutation originated. Which means some of the first whites popped up in the Wilson herd way back when. Wilson White and Mosaic are pretty much interchangable terms because they both give a broad idea of a "white" chinchilla. Things like panda mosaic, silver mosaic, and extreme mosaic are descriptive terms that let you know what the markings are and where they're located on the body.

You definitely have a cute little white girl there!:thumbsup: I agree with what was mentioned above about the yellow fur, though it does seem to me that it could also be largely due residual pee staining from wherever you got her from. She does look to be off color though, so not all that yellow is pee that will come off. I'd give her a few more baths with a high quality dust like Blue Cloud and see if that doesn't help the color! ;)

Wilson white does not describe markings. It just gives you an idea of where the mutation originated. Which means some of the first whites popped up in the Wilson herd way back when. Wilson White and Mosaic are pretty much interchangable terms because they both give a broad idea of a "white" chinchilla. Things like panda mosaic, silver mosaic, and extreme mosaic are descriptive terms that let you know what the markings are and where they're located on the body.

You definitely have a cute little white girl there!:thumbsup: I agree with what was mentioned above about the yellow fur, though it does seem to me that it could also be largely due residual pee staining from wherever you got her from. She does look to be off color though, so not all that yellow is pee that will come off. I'd give her a few more baths with a high quality dust like Blue Cloud and see if that doesn't help the color! ;)

Just adding onto this, the terms like "panda mosaic" "extreme mosaic" etc are more for a selling point than anything else. It doesn't make one white chinchilla different from another. Breeders just use the terms to try and entice people to buy their animals. A panda mosaic and an extreme mosaic are still just "white" on the show table.

Back