is a 6 month old chinchilla too old to be rehomed ?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drum136

lucie <3
I understand that by buying a really young chin makes it easier to adapt to human interaction i have nothing against the older one but id much rather have one as a baby and watch it grow.

6 months old is fine for an age to purchase a chin. Usually chins are weaned and ready to go to a new home at 12 weeks some even younger depending on their size. So 6 months is fine.

And some chins never like people no matter how young it was handled at. Each chin has a different personality. Some like people some just want to stay in their cage and chomp down on wood then come out.

Plus a chin no matter the age has to adjust to a new owner. They are prey animals, it's part of their nature to be afraid/nervous of a new bigger animal than it(and yes humans are animals).

6 months is by no means an "older" chin when you consider that these animals can live for 15+ years....

Older chins can bond to you the same as young chins can. A lot of people like babies because they're fuzzy and cute, but you never know the personality at that age. I've had babies here that did not like me from the start, but I've gotten in adults sweet as pie. I once rehomed a 7 year old chin, and from what I've heard from the new home, she has bonded with them just fine.

Older chins, 2+years, are wonderful in my book! They are more settled, often friendly or easily made friends with, and outgrown the baby antics. Needing to get a baby in my mind does not apply to chinchillas. I don't understand why so many people "must" get a baby. Give me an adult or senior chin any day.

6 months is not old!

I've gotten mine around the 6mo mark.....they've done fine. :)

I got mine as adults and I'm so glad I missed out on the teen years. Honestly much younger than that and I wouldn't want a baby. I'd want them to have lots of time for weaning and growing with mom.

I understand that by buying a really young chin makes it easier to adapt to human interaction i have nothing against the older one but id much rather have one as a baby and watch it grow.

That is not true about the human interaction. I require people come to my house and play with the chins before they buy. They always want the youngest, cutest baby. Then they get bit by the baby - babies put their teeth on everything until they are about four months old. Then they pick 6-8 month olds that are calm and like to be held because they have had 6-8 months of human handling and are already corner potty trained!

Happens 90% of the time. The other 10% are dead set on the cute baby and call with catching/biting issues later on.

My recommendation - don't be ageist! :p Go visit someone that has several chins available and pick the one you get along with best.

wait a minute...the terrible teen years END?! i got Giz at 6 months...he's about 2 1/2 now...he's as terrible as ever! lol

but no really, the babies are cute and adorable (and btw, at 6 months, they still have that cute baby face) but its possible for chins to bond and interact at any age.

Back