Increase in feed prices?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riven

Bad Chin
Has anyone else seen an increase in feed prices? My last ton of feed was $100 more per ton than the last... and that was BEFORE the drought set in! I'm not looking forward to seeing what it will be like this winter!

Anyone else seeing increases yet?

My alfalfa cubes went from $16 to $22 for a 50lb bag so I found Stanley hay cubes at Buckley Brothers for $13.79 a bag. I am getting ready to order 36 bales of Stanley loose timothy hay and I am worried about how much more it will be this time. My feed went up 50 cents per bag.

Well I've heard of people already having to pay near 3 times the normal amount for hay. I'm sure the increased prices are reflected to the feed. Yeah this winter anything hay related is going to go up. :(

The feed store up the price of feed by $1.40 a bag and .70 for a 9 pound bag of loose hay as of last month. So a slight increase at this point but I'm expecting much higher my next run.

In my area the prices for chin food have gone up a bit, I also noticed they quit carrying manna pro sho so now I feed just the pro. Also cat and dog food has jumped a few dollars over the months.

LOL! I just figure it's the cost of owning chins...I never look at the price :( I go in, get the same bags each time and off I go. I really need to have a looks see next time around. I know my total was around $32 for a while (50# feed, 40# cubes) but I think last time it was closer to $34? But then again, to me it seems prices have been creeping up since I've owned chins...though after 8yrs maybe time has something to do with that LOL!

I just placed an order of feed. I can't remember what I paid the last time, i'll have to look for the slip and compare the prices.

I know our horse feed jumped last winter, I am expecting it to jump again this winter. The price of corn is supposed to sky-rocket so that will increase our feed prices as well.

Thankfully, we grow our own hay so that is one thing I don't have to pay for.

I feed the same chin feed as Che so ditto to what she said. I will say however I about had a heart attack last time I bought cat food (Purina One) which jumped up about 3-4 bucks for a 16lb bag. Wasn't happy there. Haven't bought dog food recently (Pro-Plan) so I am afraid about next time. Not on sale that is usually around $38-39 depending on where I get it so we'll see what happens.

Do you have a tractor supply near you? Their store brand (4 health) ranks up near the top as far as quality feeds go, it's pretty much similar to taste of the wild (grain free, no fillers etc) and is $25 for 35 lbs dog food, and I think $18 for 16 lbs of cat food. I switched after totw hit almost $45 for 30 lbs

Yes Tractor Supply is right down the road. I'll def check it out thanks! I am veeeery leary of dog/cat food brands. About maybe 5-6-7 years ago (can't remember) I lost a suuuper sweet cat when Diamond pet foods had an aflotoxin (sp?) contamination. Before they announced the press release about the recall the vet thought it was pancreatitis but progressively it got worse then finally the vet figured it out when they made the announcement. I was crushed and still to this day I think about Mitten when I hear that Sarah McLaughlin song "Angel".

Diamond pet food sucks - always has. I don't know anybody who recommends it except the vets who get a kick back from the company.

The stuff at TSC is really good. I had a dog with severe food allergies and I had to get him the potato and duck mix and it was around $50.00 for 28 pounds. I got basically the same stuff at TSC by a different company for half the price.

Do any of you guys know if the TSC makes a dog food for sensitive stomachs? If so I'll grab a bag next time I am there for shavings and or hay and switch my collie over. I have to watch him like a hawk when I take him to potty as he is notorious for trying to eat grass and occasionally I'll have a mess. He is sneaky about it he will sneak some when I am not looking. Tunes would that potato/duck stuff you mentioned be good for that? He is on Pro Plan chicken & rice now and you got me wondering if it might be a good idea to switch him to that instead.

Last edited:
Rice can cause all kinds of difficulties in dogs. The potato and duck doesn't seem to. My dog's entire belly, in between the pads of his feet, and the inside of his ears were constantly infected with yeast. It was miserable trying to find out what was going. After talking with several vets, and trial and error by elimination, we figured out it was the rice they used as filler/binder in the feeds I was using. Even some of the best feeds use it. I couldn't afford the buffalo based feeds, they were just ridiculous, so I tried the potato and duck (I can't remember the brand off hand) and his infection cleared right up. When I found that I could get darn near the same formula for half the price, I was elated. I then talked with my vets again and they said that the potato and duck was probably much easier on his system than the other things like chicken, rice, etc. and to keep feeding it. He also did well on an oatmeal based, rather than rice based, but after a while they decided to add in rice, go figure.

I would say give it a shot. My mom's dog is an obnoxious dachsund who has an incredibly sensitive stomach. I got her started on it and she hasn't vomited once since. With her, it was an every day, almost every time she ate kind of thing. She had to be fed almost double to make up for the vomiting while we tried to figure out what to do. The duck and potato took care of it.

SWEET! Thanks a bunch for the tip. I'm going to go get some SOON! My dog sounds a lot like your mom's weiner schnitzel. I took him to the vet for it already and he just basically felt his belly and gave him puppy pepto. It's not an everyday thing but it happens way too often.

My dog has severe issues with food. Super sensative stomach, before switching him to the TOTW we would have vomitting and the runs. I actually use the Chicken and Rice and will switch off to the Lamb for the 4 health, and we do ok on that. I have the occasional upset stomach, but nothing like what we used to have. It really is much better than the purina/pro-plan you find at grocery stores.

It IS made at a diamond plant (but not made by diamond--i believe they contract out to use the plant) so it was involved in the latest diamond recall(along with TOTW), but i don't think any batches came up positive.

I have a dog that has severe skin problems caused by diet. The only thing I have found that doesn't cause problems for her is Taste of the Wild. She loves it and she is itch free. I get it at my local feed store where I buy my chin food.

Well my feed was about $14.50/50lb bag the last time I got it... Today it jumped to $17.50/50lb bag... and she said it will continue to go up! She said that price was even discounted as I am a dealer :( I don't know if it's worth driving the 1.5 hours each way to get Tradition at this point.

What is everyone else paying for tradition?

I purchase both manna pro show and purina rabbit chow show and mix them since sometimes it's difficult for me to get one or the other. I purchased a 50lb bag of PRCS this morning and it was $18.95. That's significantly higher than last time. I have noticed the prices going up in general though each time I pick up a new bag.

Nutrena hasn't gone up out here yet, it's holding steady at $16.99, but if it does go up it's going to be ridiculous to buy. I bought some manna pro the other day, and Iam trying it to see how that works, mixing it in with the Nutrena. It's $3.00 a bag less. The only difference between it and the show is it doesn't have yucca and papaya, which I could really care less about anyway. If I can even cut a bag of Nutrena out and replace it with Manna every couple of bags, that would really help. So I may just keep mixing it for now and see how the feed situation develops.

Latest posts

Back