I need tree people!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Essentia

Jax Chinchilla Rescue
Can someone possibly tell me what kind of tree this is by the leaves? I have searched all over the internet and all leaves are starting to look the same. >.< I have been looking around my yard and found a pecan and magnolia tree (I just moved here not that long ago so never really paid attention). I have this (the picture) tree several different places in my yard, so I was just trying to figure out if it may be chin safe.

Attachments

• IMG_2531.JPG
    IMG_2531.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 42
It looks like a ficus but I really don't know my trees that well. I have a ficus indoors that has leaves like that. Well, I just looked it up, probably not a ficus LMBO, sorry.

Last edited:
I don’t know trees, but my dad is standing here and said it looks like a laurel bush, and looks poisonous.

There was someone on the old forum, "from the middle of nowhere" who knew her stuff - even had a vine as thick as her wrist going a hundred feet into a tree - but don't know if she made it here, yet! Expert on poison oak, too!

I don’t know trees, but my dad is standing here and said it looks like a laurel bush, and looks poisonous.

This isn't a bush. It's a tree at least 20 ft. tall and the trunk is at least 3 feet around. I will take a picture of the tree once it becomes light again. I tried earlier, but it was already getting dark.

This isn't a bush. It's a tree at least 20 ft. tall and the trunk is at least 3 feet around. I will take a picture of the tree once it becomes light again. I tried earlier, but it was already getting dark.

There are laurel trees, but all are flowering.

to me it almost looks like a dogwood leaf from the pictures I've been looking at, but I believe dogwoods flower..

Same here, and there are like 6 in the yard so it has to be something that grows prevalently in Florida. Is smells a little mintyish when you break a branch off... Meh. I'll just take a picture of the whole tree and then someone can possibly come on and say "That's a blah blah blah"!

There is a great tree forum that answered my tree questions when I had them. David's garden, or something I think?

Is the bark smooth or rough? Brown, orange, white, or grey colored?

I would be a little worried about you selling people wood off of trees at some place you haven't lived at long...

Is the bark smooth or rough? Brown, orange, white, or grey colored?

I would be a little worried about you selling people wood off of trees at some place you haven't lived at long...

I'm not asking about this wood to sell it.

If you're referring to the magnolia I said I was cutting tomorrow please realize I would never, ever sell to someone if I didn't know about what I was selling. I have been to this home for the last 4 years to visit the lady who lives here with us and I have been friends with the landlord for the last 7 years. I know for a fact that none of these trees have been treated with pesticides. The landlord does the yard work and I specifically asked him. He has owned this home and the property for the last 20 years. I have also gotten permission from him to trim the trees as they need it anyway.

I'd be safe and not use it, but I have no clue what it is!

If there is a nursery nearby you may be able to bring a small branch and they may be able to identify it (never tried but it's a thought!). Maybe someone seeing it in person would be able to identify it better.

Is it evergreen? I didn't think of camphor because I wasn't thinking evergreen, good catch Kalandra!

Camphor has very small flowers, in general. It is used a lot of repel bugs.

Doesn't your land lord know what it is?

Back