I Know Where You Can Get Free Apple Wood Near Philly

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amykhar

If you live in the Philadelphia area, French Creek State Park / Hopewell Village has an apple orchard. In the fall, you can pay to pick apples. But, there are fallen branches under the trees all the time, and they don't mind if you take them. (Of course, you can't cut them from the trees)

I have a trunk full now, waiting for them to dry out some more before I cut them and clean them and dry them some more.

I agree, unless it's an organic orchard they probably spray the trees with pesticides to prevent insects on the fruit.

If that's the case, I would not give the wood to my chins.

I wuld definitely ask first. But if they don't spray, that is awesome cause I'm about 15 minutes from there. I know that most of the trees at Terhune orchards are sprayed but they may have an organic orchard.

Oh well. I guess I'll get on the phone and ask. It only took 5 minutes of my time to pick up the wood. If I have to toss it, no harm, no foul. :)

Please let us know if they DON'T spray. I could always use some apple wood!

I think my Dad's neighbor is gonna notice if i take any more branches! I took a few last time I was there but it was only enough for about 1 week for my boys!!

I called. They are using integrative pest management. They spray early in the season. So much for that idea. There is another organic orchard near where I live, but I need to speak to the head guy to see if I am allowed to go get fallen branches/twigs there. If it is allowed, I will post the info.

Well at least you found out before you prepared everything!! It is A LOT of work.

In the meantime there are lots of members who sell prepared safe wood. Just check the classified section. Also there is a list of safe woods on the forum, perhaps you have a tree in your backyard that you can use??

Let us know about the organic one!!

It's not only if THAT wood is sprayed... it's also if the neighbors spray, what kind of weed control is used on the grass etc. I lost out on two very large pear trees being pruned because my mom's neighbors are psycho... trees not only absorb through the bark and leaves, but also through the ground. The root spread is usually as wide as the top, and the run off from other places can also affect what the tree takes up.

The day you posted this, I went to the website and sent an email. I always write that my son has allergies to pesticides and not that I want wood for my chinchillas!! lol
This was their response:

Ms. XXXX,

The following is a list of sprays appled to our apple orchard throughout
the growing season by a local contractor. Not all products are applied
each year depending on weather and other variables.

Miscible Oil
Kocide 101
Mancozeb 75 DF
Nova 40W
Agristrep
Regulaid
Tenn-Cop 5E
Fruitone N

Steven W. Ambrose
U.S. Park Ranger
Hopewell Furnace N.H.S.
2 Mark Bird Lane, Elverson, PA 19520
Ph: 610-582-8773 x228
Fax: 610-582-2768

My dad has over 20 apple trees... if you need some wood, I'm your girl! I'm going this weekend to cut some more for myself...let me know if I need to cut some for you to! Haha

They are on the family's land, no chemicals ever! They are 26 year old trees. Time for a good trimming! :) my four guys can't eat it all on their own!

Latest posts

Back