I can't tell my babies apart!!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lydz

First time chin owner....We got them 4 day ago. One is very friendly and stands at the door to be let out already. The other is more skittish.

Is it normal for one to be more of a sleeper than the other. One sleeps and gets up every few hours (after 4) to eat and run around and then go back to sleep. The other one won't get out until after 8.

The big problem is I can't tell them apart. I sort of could at the beginning. But now I mix them up. :)

Anyways...here are Fatso and Chewy!

Attachments

• Fatso and Chewy006.jpg
    Fatso and Chewy006.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 99
Aww so cute. As time goes by, you'll get to know their personalities better and be able to tell them apart. Not only that, but as they grow, they might get spots on their ears and the spot pattern may help tell them apart.

Congrats on your first chins!

it looks like the one on the left is "kinda" more oxidized, or a orangey-beige as the other is more beige-y

Does that make since... but it could just be the way the picture was taken

Very Cute

Awwww! They're so cute! Congrats on your first chins! You're gonna love them :)

OMG how precious are they!!! So cute!

Also, as a last resort to try to tell them apart you could choose one chinchilla and make a small dot with a sharpie on his/her ear.

It's a heart chin with two faces!

Mark one's ear with a blue marker or any color for that matter, until you figure out their personalities or a way to differentiate them!

Aww, I'd love to have that problem with those little cuties. Have you checked out the thread on how to correctly sex chins, very easy to mistake them, and petstores have no idea. Welcome to CnH

Oh, they are so cute!!

I have 2 chins and they both sleep differently. One sleeps much more than the other. After playtime Jezebel will crash out on her side on the top shelf while Anabel might still be wide awake and running in the wheel.

They are cute! Take a kids non toxic marker and mark one of their ears. That should help until you figure out who's who. :)

Aww, I'd love to have that problem with those little cuties. Have you checked out the thread on how to correctly sex chins, very easy to mistake them, and petstores have no idea. Welcome to CnH

We got them from a breeder and anyways when they are lying down on the mesh you see something sticking out down there at times. I think they are boys. Haha

Thanks.

Oh, they are so cute!!

I have 2 chins and they both sleep differently. One sleeps much more than the other. After playtime Jezebel will crash out on her side on the top shelf while Anabel might still be wide awake and running in the wheel.

That is true with ours. The one, Fatso wakes up every few hours to eat and then is up from 5 to 7 about playing and then goes back to sleep. He the daring one. He got use to us letting them out from the first time and know stands by the door and jumps right out when it opens. Runs ALL over the house. The other one sleeps all day, won't wake up until after 8 and though he will come out is much more skittish.

It's amazing though the progress they have made. We've only had them for 4 days. Still working on them coming to us other then for a quick sniff and scratch.

We got them from a breeder and anyways when they are lying down on the mesh you see something sticking out down there at times. I think they are boys. Haha

Thanks.

Both males AND females have cones that are visible on the outside of their bodies, so you'll still need to do a hair ring check to see if they really are males.

Another way to tell them apart is to trim the hair on one's tail so that it is shorter.

First off, gratz on your babies, you're gonna lovvveee them. Give yourself sometime, at first, I thought every chin in the world looked the same, lol.
But as time goes by, you'd be able to tell the difference between them. Even same colored chins look different, different face features, some have bigger eyes, longer noses, their fur may look different too. Good luck.

Back