How much $$ for a phenom brown?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magic_FROST

My husband lost his wonderful brown last year. She was a rescue (like all of our chins) and came with a huge bag of health problems (like all of our chins, lol). She was only with us four years.

He loves brown velvet and wants another. Its been hard on him having to euth so many family pets due to health problems from bad genetics and abuse/neglect, and I would like to purchase him a high quality chin from a breeder.

We are well aware of the fact that a well bred chin has all the potential to be just as expensive as a special needs chin, and that accidents happen and a well bred chin could turn into a special needs case. I think that getting a chin thats had high quality food and care its entire life would be much different experience than our rescues.

I am looking to have a high quality phenomenal temperament brown by his birthday the first part of July. I have never bred or shown chins, can someone tell me what to expect to pay for one? I was thinking around $350? I could go as high as $500 if I needed to, and the chin was perfect for our bunch.

If someone could point us in the right direction? We have never "special ordered" an animal before.

It depends on where you are located. Prices can vary from state to state.

If you go to a larger rancher, you'll be paying more. If you go to a small hobby breeder who breeds quality animals you'll most likely pay less then you would from a rancher.

Many things factor in. You may be able to find a good quality brown velvet from good lines for under $200 if you play your cards right.

where are you located?

Another thing to consider, is if you're wanting good temperament, it may be better to go with a smaller breeder as they tend to know their animals' temperaments more. But then you would want to go with an older chin, because you never know how the personality of a kit will turn out.

Prices really do vary from breeder and state. I got a top of the line brown velvet male for $125 from Millers a long while back. It really just depends on who you go to, and what they have.

If you let us know where you are located we can help you find some breeders in your area. For $500 you should easily be able to find a nice animal and have it shipped to you if needed.

We are located in MN

We are located in MN. We are willing to travel as far West as Portland, OR to pick up the right chin. We wouldnt want a chin shipped if we could help it, I imagine it would be hard on the chin.

Riven--you are in nebraska

Riven, you are in Nebraska, is there any chance you might breed a brown for us? Nebraska really isnt all that far from us.

I don't have any pairings to create a brown right now, but Cathy Kane may, she is in Kansas City Missouri. She has beautiful animals. Otherwise we'll see if we can get some breeders in your area!

Off the top you could try Becky or JAGS ( those are their names on the forum here), they are in the Michigan/Ohio area there and have good selection of animals usually as well! JAGS runs a lot of animals so they would probably be a good option for you to try!

I also believe that Summers are right up your direction, I'm not sure if they might have any pairing set up for browns or not. You can email Kari here [email protected] I know they've cut back on breeding for a while, but you can contact them and see what they might have coming up!

Back