How long to rosehips keep?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suzi1780

I was thinking about ordering 1 lb of rosehips but I only have two chins and already have 8oz of rosehips now... do they go bad? Can I/should I freeze them? Thanks!

I don't know about freezing them. I'm sure, like most things, storing them in a cool, dry place would be fine.

I would like to know how long before they "go bad" too...

I was under the impression that like most dried herbs they last a long time. I'm not sure of the exact time frame, but I would bet quite a few months or even a year.
I did try looking it up and one place suggested freezing them, but I don't freeze mine. I just store them in an air tight container.

Yah I too heard storing them in a cool dry place, air tight, but also don't know how long they last. It would be nice to know.

Jean

I was under the impression that like most dried herbs they last a long time. I'm not sure of the exact time frame, but I would bet quite a few months or even a year.
I did try looking it up and one place suggested freezing them, but I don't freeze mine. I just store them in an air tight container.

thanks for the help :thumbs:

Is a whole rose hip a night bad for a chin?

I would not give a whole rosehip a night. At most I would do it maybe twice a week.
Crushed you could give more often since it's a lot less rosehip and you can monitor how much you give them.

I was told at my local health food store that rosehips should be used within 2 years. And I would not freeze them.

I keep my dried crushed rosehips in an airtight container at room temp. They last for around six months, but after then they seem to get this sickly-sweet smell, so that's when I chuck them out and buy a new packet.

I was told at my local health food store that rosehips should be used within 2 years. And I would not freeze them.

I was told the same, but honestly, I don't see why they couldn't last even longer than that. They are completely dried, so as long as they are kept that way they shouldn't spoil or get stale.

Rose hips can not be stored for long, simply because they retain medicinal potency for about one year.
Stability of vitamin C in dried rose hips was evaluated using photometry and thin layer chromatography (TLC). Results showed that loss of vitamin C depends on how coarse the rose hips (the coarser the greater the vitamin C content over time). In general, rose hips cut in half loose about 50% of vitamin C in 18 month, powdered rose hips loose 100% of vitamin C in 6 month.
Vitamin C is one of the most easily destroyed vitamins,it's destroyed by oxygen,heat,light and metals.

I would say that whole rosehips would probably be good for at least a couple years. After that they'd probably just dry out and still be okay but not as tasty...I doubt that they would ever pose a risk to the chin after that. Like everyone said, store them in a cool, dry place and they will last for a long, long time! :) I'd stay away from freezing almost anything for the chins because condensate can form and help to mold things later on.

Back