Horseback riding

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mystic

Super chin!
So I have some great news. I'm going to take up horseback riding lessons again!! I rode for 3 years and started when I was 11. I'm so excited!
I was wondering if anyone had any tips for a rider beginning again. I know I'm very rusty since I haven't had lessons in about 5 years.
Also, can anyone recommend an all purpose riding helmet that is pretty slim? I know my ones I wore years back were pretty bulky. I had a Troxel brand.

I have this helmet http://www.troxelhelmets.com/products/features.php?ProductID=31&ColorID=78 and love it.

To me balance and knowing how to get off of a horse safely are more important. Everything else follows. Lots of time without stirrups and reins is good. But horseback riding is like riding a bike, your muscles remember how to do it. Which is why it feels so odd to ride a gaited horse after riding regular horses.

When I started riding years ago my instructor spent a long time on balance and how to dismount a horse safetly. We even practiced dismounting when the horse was moving just incase I needed to I would know how. I kind of remember some of it but it's still scratchy.
Would you say the helmet you have is pretty much slim?

I don't think any good helmet is "slim." But materials are lighter weight and a lot of them have better ventilation than they used to. Go for safety ratings of the helmet, not looks.

Enjoy! I wish I had time to start riding again... :)

I'm talking about dismounting while the horse is moving. That's when the most accidents happen, at least the ones I've seen.

Go to a tack store and try on helmets, then you'll know. I buy helmets for safety and comfort, not looks so I can't help you there.

I know I shouldn't buy a helmet based on looks so I try not to, but it is one of the factors I do look at. ;)
I know Troxel is an excellent brand so I will probably go for one of those again.

I'm talking about dismounting while the horse is moving. That's when the most accidents happen, at least the ones I've seen.

Go to a tack store and try on helmets, then you'll know. I buy helmets for safety and comfort, not looks so I can't help you there.

See I'm definitely a little rusty on dismounting when the horse is moving. Maybe once I get my classes started up I can ask the instructor to go over it.

I don't wear a helmet, and I don't really plan to start. The only time I ever wore a helmet was for classes where it was required like English.

I know some people/groups feel comforted or feel it's mandatory, but the truth is most horse injuries occur in the neck, not blunt trauma to the head. According to research over 50% are soft tissue ( neck ) related followed by appx. 18% concussion ( blunt trauma ). I'm not trying to persuade anyone either way, I'm just stating some info.

I figure a horse was the death of Superman... even with a helmet on, I don't stand a chance either way!

( Actually I think it's mostly where you are, what you're doing, and who taught you to ride, I can guarantee you will not see anyone out working cattle in a helmet unless they are a city slicker )

But if I can decrease the 18% chance I will get a serious injury, then I figure it's worth it. I've fallen from a horse, and I've hit my head on the ground, more than once, wearing a helmet. It might not have been a big deal in at least one case without a helmet - but it's always smart to protect yourself when possible.

I've spent a lot of money on the contents of my brain. I may as well take at least one step to protect it, even if there are a lot of other ways it could be injured.

Like I said, to each their own. Also I forgot to mention that the 18% is not a total chance, like when you get one a horse there is an 18% chance you'll get a concussion, it's 18% of all injuries, which was less than 100,000 people out of the estimated 30 million who ride, in the US. If I did my math correct that is less than a 1% chance of injury total? Did I figure that right?

Anyway, I just had to share my misery, I've been sick for the last two days, lol.

I can see both sides of the story when it comes to helmet vs. no helmet, I've just always had to wear one since I take lessons and don't have a horse to call my own (yet)
thanks for the input guys :)

When I was 11 I joined Pony Club where helmets are required and at this point I feel naked riding without out one. Although my other reason to wear a helmet is that it helps keep my hair out of my face, which any hat can do to some degree, but I think it's the chin strap that does the trick.

If you ride you will fall off at some point. Knowing how to fall "safely" is what will make the difference when it comes to degree of injury, more so than any helmet.

i ride bare back and dont use helmets etc...but i have been riding since i was 7 so im pretty experienced and no what to do...for your best interest id have one until you feel comfortable without one lol but you will catch on fast...the main issue is knowing the animal and how they react which is hard to do with horses that arent yours but youll learn

Yeah, I don't think I would go without a helmet on a horse that isn't mine and its required at the horse center I want to ride at anyways. I've fallen off twice. The first time I fell on my shoulder when my horse turned too quickly and the second time she refused to go over a jump and stopped right before. I flew over her but landed on my butt, lol.
Oh and I forgot to ask, but does anyone know of any exercise's I can do to help strengthen the muscles I will use for riding? I know I will be so sore after my first lesson.

The best exercise for riding, is riding. The best way to not be sore is to get on sooner than later again. I can't think of any on the ground exercises that might help other than using a smaller sized exercise ball to work those inner thigh muscles and heel/toe pushes to get the calves.

I don't think I've ever "fallen" off a horse, I've been bucked off though, I consider that being removed unwilling, lol. Every time I've come off, it's never been my head. I've never "learned" how to fall off, we've always learned how to stay on! When working with young horses if you come off they quickly learn to keep doing it until it becomes of a problem if you don't. My last and worst fall was about 3 years ago, riding a supposedly "kid broke" horse and he just exploded, and it was a huge horse, I lost my stirrup and just when I thought I was going to ride it out he gave a huge buck and I was gone, all I remember was feeling the air from the hoof a couple inches from my face, and hitting the ground unable to breath. Cracked ribs all down one side, and a dislocated hip. It scared me, scared me good. I still ride, but it took some time to get back on, for the fact my horse wasn't broke and I was too **** sore, lol. Sometimes I still have problems with my ribs. My two horses are both going to get a couple weeks from my mom's guy they have train when they need it, both are started and calm, they just need work, then I'll finish them for the girls to use for 4-H.

What I'm saying, is I know things happen, and it's too early for me to be thinking.

yes,i also dont know of any excersice that would help you with that,i promise you your legs will tone up alot just from riding by always having a good grip around your horse with them, since i have rode bare back for so long my leg tone is great!! but dont ask me to pick up anything over 50 pounds lol ill look at your like your stupid...lol

Riven, that sounds like quite an accident. When I fell off and landed on my shoulder I dislocated it, but I've never had a horseback riding fall like that. That's a big ouchie, lol.
The exercise balls is a good idea! We have a couple downstairs that I can use for my inner thighs. I just can't wait to get back in the saddle, I'm so anxious I can barely stand it.
What does 4-H stand for by the way? I've seen that term alot on the websites I've been visiting when looking for a horse center.

It's a youth program. It stands for Hearts, Heads, Hands, and Health

http://4-h.org/4hstory.html

It's a program started to kind of get more kids into ag type stuff, then moved on to include things from growing vegetable and showing livestock to handicrafts, baking, arts, and photography and more! Small animals, poultry, ducks, rabbits, rocket making, bird house making, all that kinds of stuff.

My daughter will be in horse 4H this year, she was signed up last year, but my friend's husband got cancer and it through everything out of whack because she didn't get the horse broke that was were buying from her in time and all that. We have our two big horses ( quarter horses, well one's 1/2 POA) and they should be ready for this year anyway, lol. The part that sucks is they kick you out when you turn 19 ( or 18 by the first of the year )... I think they should have 4H for adults too!

Well thank you for that info Riven. I guess I could have googled it but hearing from someone with experience is better IMO. I agree that they should have it for adults as well. I think it would be a great way to meet new people and it would be fun! Lol.

I know one thing my aunt suggested when I was learning to ride was an exercise that was supposed to get you used to pointing heels down. Basically, stand on a set (usually the first step is fine) of stairs, facing up, and stand with your heels stretched downwards towards the ground (does that make sense?) I don't know how well it works, I never did it, but she swore by it.

I took gymnastics when I was a kid and that taught me to fall without hurting my head. It also taught me balance, etc. maybe those type of stretches would help.
I've been thrown a lot it happens. The 2 worse times my hoodie went around my horn and I just jerked myself off with his buck to avoid getting stuck or anything. It ripped my hoodie and I didn't get drug, but I kind of landed under him.

The other time I knew I was going to get thrown so I threw the reigns over her head and slid off like a retard. She turned around and pawed me. That one broke 4 ribs, punctured my lung, and lacerated my spleen.

Back