Horseback riding

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Ash! This is one of the exercises that I used to do but completely forgot about. I've always had trouble keeping my heels down and I know this exercise used to work for me.

I know one thing my aunt suggested when I was learning to ride was an exercise that was supposed to get you used to pointing heels down. Basically, stand on a set (usually the first step is fine) of stairs, facing up, and stand with your heels stretched downwards towards the ground (does that make sense?) I don't know how well it works, I never did it, but she swore by it.

And Bethany, that second fall sounded bad. Do you know why your horse turned around and did that do you?

Haha no problem Morgan! Glad I could be of some help, I've forgotten a lot of what I learned riding horseback, but hope to pick it back up at some point. I miss it.

And Bethany, that second fall sounded bad. Do you know why your horse turned around and did that do you?

It was the third time she had been rode, I was bareback and we met a wagon. The wagon stopped, but right when we got past it it took off. She spooked and since I still had a hold of the reigns I think is why she did it.

You'll pick it all up again, good and bad. :))

That calf stretch can work, some people have better flexion than others (I'm not one of them!). Most important is balance, if you're balanced your heels are down regardless. The fastest way to gain balance is a few bareback lessons.

Helmets are no slimmer than they used to be though the troxels are a lot lighter. I'm in the 18% and one saved my life, horse went through some pallets and I went off over her rear when she lunged. Crushed the entire back of my helmet in. I've had branches swing back and put holes in them trail riding too.

Thank you for the replies everyone! I'm going next Saturday to do an evaluation ride so they can place me in an appropriate class based on my skill level. I'm going to hand the camera over to my mom so she can get some pics! :)

Back