Hi From Pa

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

HedgieMan

Former Hedgehog Owner and in DESPERATE search for a Pa breeder and making some friends.

I had one when i was 10-14 name was sonic had to give him away(sadly). I'm 19 now have been in DESPERATE search for Hedgehog lovers and Breeders in Pennsylvania.

I called the Pennsylvania Game Commission on Monday November 16 of 2009. I was notified that they were only illegal if there from out of state. He also said that if a breeder in Pennsylvania had a pedigree of all the animals that have to be PA bred it is OK.

Last edited:
You won't find any hedgehog breeders on this forum in PA, because hedgehogs are illegal to own there.

Welcome to CnH.

Yea, I'm sorry. I ended up stumbling onto this site after wanting a Hedgie, but found out they were illegal. It stinks, but its true. But then I did a lot on research on Chinnies and fell in love.

But in anycase, welcome to CnH!

And they Do sell Hedgehog Food in Pa so i am a little puzzled.

Hedgies are illegal in PA. I am also a former hedgehog owner. There is NO legal way to get them into PA, as it is illegal since I believe 1982 to import hedgehogs into the state of PA. So therefore, that makes any hedgehog brought into PA illegal, thus breeders cannot bring in new stock.There was a huge blow up in 2001 where a lot of hedgies were taken and killed.

Please, please do not own a hedgehog in the state of PA. Our game commison has no idea whats going on--you talk to one person they are outright illegal. talk to someone else they are legal.... It puts the animals in danger as they are killed, and you'll be facing hundreds of dollars in fines... You won't be finding any reputable breeders in this state, OR a reputable breeding willing to sell to you.

I never knew that. Back in 1996 I work for a pet store in a mall and we sold hedgies and this was in PA. We were never told it was illegal. Why would they be illegal? I've always wanted a hedgie but never got one, now I'm glad I didn't.

Well I'm planning on moving before May. I live 5 minutes away from New Jersey might as well move there to obtain one. I also went to a few pet stores around my area they gave me a few pet stores that have hedgehogs Lancaster, Pennsylvania. They also gave me a few shops to go to in NJ but I'm sure they wouldn't sell me a hedgie counting on where I live. What do you guys think i should do? Ive always wanted another hedgehog, Ive been trying to find RECENT documents on the hedgehog law in PA all i could find is from the 1990's and 2001. Any Ideas?

Where in Lancaster? I live in Lancaster and have never been to one that sells hedgies, even worked in one for a few months.

Hedgies are most def illegal here. Sorry.

You aren't finding anything recent, because 2001 is when the huge blow up happened, and theyve been deemed staight out illegal since then.

Sorry, but I would wait until you relocate out of state.

Where in Lancaster? I live in Lancaster and have never been to one that sells hedgies, even worked in one for a few months.

Hedgies are most def illegal here. Sorry.

Petland Discounts in Lancaster and That Fish Place. I was told they had hedgies a few months ago

Hedgies are illegal. If confiscated, the poor babies can be exterminated!

Welcome to the board. Sorry you are having hedgie ownership dashed. I wanted one too, until I found out that if someone knew I had it, it could be put down :(

It is a stupid reason they are illegal but i forget what.

If you're going to be moving anyway, I agree, I would just wait. It's not that long until May. Before then you can take plenty of time to get his/her cage, liners, fun stuff to put in it, etc. That can be fun too, and help with the anticipation of when you can legally bring your new guy/gal home.

Hi and welcome! How terrible to want a hedgie and not be able to have one!!! I would also wait until you move to get one so you don't have any problems. That will give you time to find a good breeder and get the process started in adopting one. Hedgies are adorable and I would love to get one if I had the space.

Its the same thing with sugar gliders. Lots of people have them in pa but they are illegal. I don't see why certain animals are legal in some states and not in others. Whats the difference besides the state? I don't think its fair for them to dictate like that. There are plenty of good pet owners in pa, being from out of state doesn't make you any better or worse of an owner. So why did they make such a big deal about it?

oh, and welcome to the forum!

Latest posts

Back