Help asap birthing complications?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad she survived the surgery. Did they spay her while they were in there?

No because it was to difficult and the dr didn't want to put her through extra torment so I booked an apt. For my male to be chopped lol

seriously. They spay pregnant animals all the time. It's not putting her through anymore torment. If they knew the kits were dead they could of easily spayed her leaving the kits still inside the uterus..just taking everything out.

I'm glad she is doing ok though
Jessica

seriously. They spay pregnant animals all the time. It's not putting her through anymore torment. If they knew the kits were dead they could of easily spayed her leaving the kits still inside the uterus..just taking everything out.

I'm glad she is doing ok though
Jessica

I agree - that sounds really weird. Is this vet knowledgeable about chins??

Ok here's the news its been hectic. I picked her up from the vet yesterday and now she is doing good. She's eating, going to the bathroom and moving around. She had staples in her tummy but over night last night she pulled most of them out but she seems a million times better then she was. I thanks all of you for you support and help. I will let you know if anything changes

2 days after surgery the wound isn't going to be healed enough to stay together if the staples are removed. This doesn't sound right. And with the vet not spaying her while she was in there... Why not? They were already at the uterus, all they would have had to do was remove it, kits intact in it and all...

I agree. Most of the time it isn't anymore stressful for the mama chin to just be spayed when she needs a c-section. In fact, I think it's actually slightly less traumatic from what I have seen here with my chins that have had c-sections.

I'd really worry about the staples coming out like that. My vet uses dissolving sutures on the inside and holds the outside wound with small sutures. We have the sutures removed a week or two later...I don't think that any of my vets have ever used staples. You should take her back to the vet to have the wound closed up again so it will close up.

Ok the vet that did the surgery never did that on a chin before. The uterus wasn't easy to get to she said. She is a really good vet and I would trust my life with her. She did stitch her up on the inside and used staples on the outside incase. Because we know they are self mutilators and she didn't want Yo stitch her up like that on the out side. Fiona is doing extrmely well now too so I'm really happy with the outcome because it could of been a billion times worse

You still need to take back to get the wound closed up again and she probably will need a cone to keep her from pulling out any stitches or staples. This is not something that can wait. The entire time the wound is open, it will be collecting things that can cause infection.

The cut is not an open wound the staples were just a precaution . If I seen that it was open or able to get infected I would bring her in right away

Back