Getting numbers of chins in a short period of time?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know on the ontario site there used to be a ton of breeders and they are all pretty much gone now. Some were responsible, some were not. It's a reacurring pattern and everytime I see a new one show up I know exactly how it will end. Over the course of 3 years or so, almost all the members on that forum have disappeared.

The bottom really fell out of the pet market over the last couple of years. It does that though, there's definitely a cycle to the whole thing. Chins are still popular, but it can be difficult to find them homes...especially when a new breeder is starting out and has no customer base or reputation. It's probably just as well...a good, cleansing market correction is beneficial. The people that are in it for the long haul make the sacrifice and stay...the others just sort of fall away and sell out.

I'm a people that bought a lot in a short amount of time.

I only planned on getting one and it just continued.. they are just so cute and addicting!! I've had all kinds of different pets when I was growing up. Hamsters, rabbits, guinea pig, dogs, cats, etc. I've had every animal except for one rabbit since it passed. I also rode, owned, took care of and paid board for my horse and even 'leased' one before I took on that responsablity. The only reason I had to get rid of a rabbit was because I was moving out of my dad's house and into our first apartment and me and my fiance had 2 dogs and they didn't allow the rabbit to stay in the apartment. I ended up giving him to a family member who still has him and loves him to death.

Now I have my own house and not told I can or cannot have pets. I've wanted a chinchilla for a very long time but my parents thought they were to expensive and didn't allow me to get one when I was living in their house. About a year and half ago I started reading about and researching chins and didn't join the forum right away but found my first 2 chins on the forum after I joined and i'm so glad I did. I can say that if it weren't for this forum, I would be doing a lot of things wrong because a lot of places out there give out wrong information that I thought was correct, including pet store books and flyers, etc.

I have a very steady job and plenty of time when i'm not at work to take care of every single one of my chins. I have my emergency fund and an emergency credit card for both the chins and the dogs if anything were to happen. I have my first aid kit with the essential things I would need in an emergency. I'm a very well prepared person and do my research before jumping in to anything and thats not just limited to animals.

I never plan to breed my chins.. they are my pets and pets only. I know I couldn't handle breeding and I just like to enjoy them for what they are.

I have hit my limit at 9 chins. I know if I were to get more, I wouldn't have the time or much remaining space for all of them. It may seem irresponsable to get so many in such a short amount of time but I never do anything without thinking it through and making sure if anything were to happen that I would still have the budget, time and care that every single animal would need.

It was hard to believe that we would ever own chins again after our first chin was pts in 2008. But I just couldn't imagine my life without them, especially since he had kept me company almost every night. Then I met Kristy :)) and our love for chins began all over again. We went from 0 to 2 to 4 and now 5 (thanks Peggy) chins in a year and a half. My sister and mom all think I'm nuts to have acquired so many chins in such a short time but I don't think 5 is a lot. They all get individual attention as they are all part of the family.

I would never, and I didn't, get into "impulse" buying/acquiring any pet when I was younger and less stable as far housing/money/maturity. I just knew that it wouldn't be fair to the animal with the lifestyle I led. I also think that some people are not really thinking things through with the animal in mind, therefore the impulse effect. In the end it's the animal that suffers and that's just so sad.

It isn't the owners that have 5 or even 10 it is the breeders that pop up get 60 in a year and then dump them. And they always try to sell their herd for a huge price...when you sell out your herd your usually stuck selling at a much lower price

I started out almost six years ago with a male chinchilla that stole my heart. He was purchased by someone in town, and they decided they didn't want him any more and left him in his cage outside the breeder's door. Well, it rained that night and when she opened the door, here was a drenched little guy with only his HEAD above water! I fell in love with him, he became mine soon after.
The breeder became a friend of mine, and became my mentor. She has since gotten out of chins, and I became a hobby breeder. I am a 46 year old ex police officer now part-time teacher at a local college. I only work about 15 hours a week Sept- April and have May to August off each year. This leaves me a lot of time to dedicate to my chins. I love them!!!
Right now I have 13, but was recently involved in a "rescuing" situation, as you all know, so I have many more now that need homes. I am afraid that I am going to fall in love with EVERYONE, but it is not feasible. Any more than 20 total and I start to feel it is too much. I can't imagine having a full-time job, being in my twenties, AND having 50 chins, like many people acquire so quickly. It is no wonder we see these people selling their whole herd within a year.

Last edited:
I got my first chin in September/October 2008, and I now have seven. Carmen was so sweet, I wanted to find her a friend. I was incredibly lucky that it worked out. When we went to pick up Minnie, we met Trousers, and she was in such awful shape that we went back to get her after Minnie and Carmen were successfully introduced after quarantine. We tried to introduce Trousers to Minnie and Carmen, but it didn't work out. We already had a FN142, so we simply got an add-on. It wasn't a huge deal. Minnie and Trousers both came from a woman who I would consider a hoarder; she was a backyard breeder who had no idea what she was doing regarding chin care. While we were not experts, we certainly knew where to get information if necessary, and we have a qualified exotics vet.

Daisy and Peach were the two unintended chins. I was just supposed to watch them over the summer for the Ag department in the high school where I work. They were not well taken care of, and both my husband and I got attached to them. We picked up another FN 142, and we decided to keep them. We added Nova and Pele after the Arlington seizure.

Did we get into chinchillas quickly and heavily? Absolutely. Can we provide proper care, basic and veterinary, for all of our chinchillas? Absolutely. I don't think it matters whether or not you get ten chins at once or ten chins over ten years; you either can take care of them or not. My parents were really hesitant with our getting so many chins, but when they saw how they are kept and how good of care we give them, they changed their opinion.

Getting into chins all willy-nilly (yes, that is the technical term) is a bad idea. They can live for 15 years, and they are a commitment in terms of being able to care for them long-term, but I see no issues if they individual or group is able to care for them and is not the type to lose interest after a few months or years.

See, I am 22 I average between 70-80 -/+ chins at any given time. Along with my chins I have two dogs, a bearded dragon, 3 goats, 3 horses and about 16 chickens, another 5 ducks, and a soon-to-be breeding pair of peacocks. I work 50 -/+ hours per week between 2 jobs.

Is it easy? No, however it is the life I've chosen. Someone being in their 20's and saying "oops i'm too young , shouldn't have gotten into chins" doesn't fly to me. They simply aren't responsible enough. Age doesn't really play much factor, IMO

See, I am 22 I average between 70-80 -/+ chins at any given time. Along with my chins I have two dogs, a bearded dragon, 3 goats, 3 horses and about 16 chickens, another 5 ducks, and a soon-to-be breeding pair of peacocks. I work 50 -/+ hours per week between 2 jobs.

WOW, send some of your energy this way please.....:thumbsup:

WOW, send some of your energy this way please.....

If you need to borrow energy at your age, you're gonna be in trouble when you have all of that plus more (including 3 kids, etc.) at.............30 plus 17. :)

Is it easy? No, however it is the life I've chosen. Someone being in their 20's and saying "oops i'm too young , shouldn't have gotten into chins" doesn't fly to me. They simply aren't responsible enough. Age doesn't really play much factor, IMO

I agree 100%. I'm 22, manage two cats, two dogs and around 70+ chins. Right now I'm not working but I do commute to school with is 150miles each way, I drive down at the beginning of the week and head straight up after my last class of the week. Last year I managed 30hrs+ working at a vet office, 50 chins, 2 dogs, 2 cats, three insane roomates, and 16 units at college.

People use age to cover for being irresponsible and lazy.

I have only been breeding for four years now but even in that short amount of time have seen many people come and go. There are many breeders who start up quickly and I just get the feeling that they are not serious about breeding or have much of a purpose other than making cute fuzzy babies in lots of colors even though they claim they are breeding quality... and sure enough, many of those people I had those feelings about are now gone or have sold out. There are the pet people too who seem so enthusiastic and jump into owning and buying chins even when finances or tight, the parents don't want them, etc. and then something drastic comes up and they have to rehome them all.

Personally, I started my first year of breeding with one breeding pair. I bought the Grand Show Champion beige at my first show and a standard female from the Reads. After four years, I am now up to 15 females in breeding (although only 11 have produced so far), 5 breeding males, and the rest are kits, youngsters I'm growing out for show or holding back as possible breeders, my pet only chins (3 of them) and rescues. I'm at a good number now for the space I currently have and don't really want to expand at this point.

During the past four years of breeding, I was a part-time student while also working part-time. I'm now done with school and although I do work full-time now, I have much more time to spend with the chins, not to mention, my job is very flexible if I need to handfeed kits or have an injured/sick chin to take to the vet or anything that needs my attention.

If you need to borrow energy at your age, you're gonna be in trouble when you have all of that plus more (including 3 kids, etc.) at.............30 plus 17. :)

YIKES, don't plan on having three kids...do you know something I don't know Peggy? :hilarious:

Oh I started with 2 in year 2002 and have been buying untill I known I have 13 in 2005.

I used to have 4 breeding pairs and I have sold 5 offspring to pet owners and keep all of my babies and adults chins till now including my 1st few pet chins. Currently I have 22 chins now and no longer breed or expanding 3 years ago.

I had a time when I felt I have too many and wanted to sell off some but when I looked at them every time, I think I love them more than I expected.

I think what worries me most is when I see people who come on forums, having barely a clue about proper chin care, are resistant to learning proper care, then go on a chin-buying spree. I got 2 in a 2-month period myself, but I had spent months beforehand, on this forum and another, learning all that I could to get prepared. I would still like maybe another chin or two, I honestly think 4-5 may be as many as I'd have at one point. Just because of the fact that I want each of them to be spoiled, and for me to be able to afford to give them everything they need and more. I've already said that three is the limit right now until I have enough space for another cage ;P

Chins are wonderful animals, and I really couldn't picture my life without them. But I know some people get into chins because they look like they would be fun to snuggle and they're so cute, then are ready to pass them off/sell them when they realize that their chin doesn't like being held and doesn't clean his cage by himself, it's bad enough when only one chin goes through this.. but then when someone has a ton of chins? Poor little critters.

It takes me 20 min in the evening to feed, water, hay and sweep cages-I use that time as "my time", the same as cleaning cages, its therapeutic and I don't get bothered.

Sheeesh, wish it only took me 20 minutes. By the time I feed, water, hay, clean up cages, maybe give a playtime or two, talk extensively with my boys and hour goes by.

This thread has actually made me wonder how people streamline thier process.
I just have such guilt about not spending a few minutes with each chin that the absolute minimum for 10 chins & 1 GP is 45 minutes.

Sheeesh, wish it only took me 20 minutes. By the time I feed, water, hay, clean up cages, maybe give a playtime or two, talk extensively with my boys and hour goes by.

I just have such guilt about not spending a few minutes with each chin that the absolute minimum for 10 chins & 1 GP is 45 minutes.

Amen sistah!! It takes me about an hour (or more lol) to feed my zoo: 6 chins, 2 bunnies, 2 guinea piggies and a hedgehog... I have to spend time with everyone!!! If for some reason I can't... my bunnies bite the bars, the GPs make all sorts of noises, and the chinchillas follow my every move back and forth through the room... wondering if they'll get their daily treat... but normally I rotate play times with animals who get along. The only exceptions are the hedgie who is my tv buddy since he doesn't really "play" and only wants to exercise on his wheel... and my GP's who have their own play pen because they are messy little furballs.. everyone else has the "animal room" to enjoy and play in during their time. It's a complicated process!!!!:dance3:

I got my first 2 chins in April 2008. I got my next chin in June 2008. In August 2008, I got 2 more. In November 2008, my girl I got in August had 2 girls. In Feb. 2009, I got another. In July of 2009, I adopt another.
Almost a year later and I still have all of those :D

Anyways, yes, I do think some people get to many and get in over their heads, both as pet owners and new "breeders". Note: Breeders is in "" because just because someone breeds chinchilla doesnt make them a breeder to me. A breeder to me is someone who knows what they are doing.

I steamlined it by designing easy service cages, the 20 min does not include play time, just basic maid and cook service!

Latest posts

Back