Fur chewer

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your dog didn't actually get to her, I don't know why she would slip fur. Generally they do that as a way to get loose from whatever is holding them. Like if you were to try and grab them, they might slip their fur to get loose and run away.
So, do you ever grab your chin? If you do, perhaps she slipped some of her fur. I've had that happen before when trying to get the chin out of their cage.

Um... to tell you the truth. There was this thing that happened... I didn't to mention this but I guess I have to. Remember how I said that my parents made me put my chinchilla together. Well, first of all that is true I am not lying I didn't go into detail, though.

This is what happened:

So my parents wanted me to be put together. I was a little shakey about doing it but my parents didn't want the space being taken up anymore. I don't know about you guys but when your parents make say do something it is hard to say no. Also, at this time I didn't know my chinchillas were opposite sex, they were sold to me as females. The younger one was stupidly sexed. So they got into this little jump on you and stuff. They got a little violent and the cage that I had for the girl just broke. You have to keep in mind though that we had them right next to each other. We learned the hard way that this was bad. There was no fur chewing and my mom ran out to get another cage. This was only for 5 minutes. I am almost positive there was no breeding that happened I looked for a wax plug and I couldn't find one. My brother wanted to introduce them again but I won't let that happen. I know I am going to get fired at for this. Believe me this is the truth. At the time, it was christmas time and my parents were stressed out because of the season. I don't think they were thinking when they made my brother and I do that. You must understand that I didn't want to and it was not done for breed purposes. I haven't seen any sign of Hannah being pregnant. Here is the story guys read as you will but this is the truth. I know it sound horrible but it was done with ignorance. My parents are a little angry (they would never say it) about all the pets that I have. I have over 20 pets. All of them are different species (mostly). Space is a problem and the one cage is 48" high and 24" wide or something. It is enough for two. I know some people keep 100-250 chinchillas, but I am a 14 yr teenager I don't own a house. Please understand this. I am no adult and I don't even own a car yet. This sounds like a speech and sort of is but this is the story.

I love how the story changes so often.
Either way, she slipped fur when the two chins were together. It happens sometimes when chins are introduced. Either one pulled the fur out, or the other chin grabbed this one and she slipped fur to get away.

If your parents don't like all your animals taking up space, they shouldn't have allowed you to get this many in the first place. I'm sure they would understand if you had said that a male and female will breed (I'm assuming they can understand this concept) and if they breed, well then you get even more animals.

Either way, I hope you've learned better now from being on this forum for a while and I hope you don't put them together again. If your parents are stressed out about your animals, what happens when one gets sick? I think if I were you, I would stop acquiring pets until I could afford them all myself. I doubt that a 14 year old can afford the vet bills if all of them got sick.

We can pay for all the vet bills but my mom and dad pay for them. Overall me and my brother have over 40,000 dollars. I have sort of a job. Your probably right about how Hannah might have slipped her fur . You might have not met to but it did so be careful please I love my parents a lot and don't like when people say mean things about them.
I love how the story changes so often.
I'm sure they would understand if you had said that a male and female will breed (I'm assuming they can understand this concept) and if they breed

Last edited:
How does a 14 year old have $40,000? That seems a bit extreme to me.

Perhaps I did not mean to offend your parents, but perhaps if you had explained it in the way I stated you wouldn't have had to put them together in the first place. So to say that your parents made you, isn't really correct. Even at 14 you could explain that you didn't want to put them together for safety reasons. If your parents were worried about space, then they shouldn't have allowed you to get so many animals. Either way, there's no point in continuing talking about what your parents should do since you aren't them.

Just keep them apart and you won't have any issues.

Just do I am get allowance then I get money from stocks my mom and dad gave me. There water stocks never go low never go high always the same. I work around the house with my grandma she gives me money 5 dollars each time. I ask her not to but she does it any way. That adds up. The last time
I check it was around 20,000 plus my bro. I will start to tutor people for math soon. I am very good at it. Oh and I breed geckos and snakes. That pot is huge!

Last edited:
Here is what I don't get.
1) You just asked about the fur slip, then said it grew back perfectly. NO FREAKIN WAY is a fur slip that just happened going to grow back that quickly. It took bubbles months for her fur to grow back from fur chewing.
2) Now you're saying that she got it over Christmas.
3) You said you did research about breeding, and yet you haven't seen 'signs' of her being pregnant. A chin that was bred over Christmas won't really show being pregnant until usually around the last month, which correct me if I'm wrong, will be around mid April.
4) You said in the other thread when you wanted to breed that your parents would pay for it, now you say you have $40,000? You also said that your brother's baby sitter would let you borrow it. Why in the world would you need to borrow if you have that much?
5) What makes me cackle the most is you said originally "I want to breed I've done research I'm awesome blah blah blah" then you blame it on your parents when people say "Hey, that's a bad idea"

I swear, every time I check your posts you make me laugh a little more with how the story always changes.

I thought my parents wanted to help but I don't think they will pay for more than one visit. This isn't really money I have on me I have in the bank I can't take it out. Also, I never said the fur was perfect I said it was growing in. Also, I said I didn't see a wax plug. Don't successful breedings usually have them? Seriously, at the time we didn't know about the male and female thing. At least I never saw his penis before. Does it make a big difference though? If they did breed? I know this doesn't sound reasonable but it is. I thought it was a female because it was sold me to as a female. I requested one but I guess it was too young to tell (This is what I was told). I didn't want to bring it up before but it was the only thing that could have happened that could have caused fur slip. As I said before it could have been the cage she was in too. I am doing research too.

Last edited:
Also, I am not blaming my parents. If you want me to take that out of the story then I will but it won't be a fact. Can I get some information on fur slip please? It is not fully recovered. I can take a picture of it if you want and her if you want to see what she looks like. Everyone you must understand that I am not blaming my parents. Also, Vet bills won't be a big problem. My last post was funnily worded but I was trying to tell you guys that I would probably be able to get enough to pay the bills. I think we can all decide that this is fur slip I am talking about. I actually never saw her fur chew and I was guessing that was it. It makes me feel better it wasn't but it is still bad. Thanks for understanding alli. I really feel that I need to explain this on another thread. Let me do that ok guys.

PS The bold is just to show a point not be rude.

Last edited:
I requested one but I guess it was too young to tell (This is what I was told).
I do believe there is a thread with information on sexing KITS. There isn't a 'too young to tell' and if proper sexing had been done, which this can be googled, this could have been avoided.

I know but it we were told they were female and female. Not male and female we never thought to look until the accident.

Every time I get a new arrival, I always check...It's just the responsible thing to do to avoid these particular situations.
Where in the world did you get these chinchillas where they can't properly sex them?

Stop lying, just be honest it saves us all time. You said it had already been 111 days and you could count, but they have been together since then.

I'm sure a pet store couldn't properly sex them and that is what you wanted so that is what they said it was. It sounds like she slipped fur, think of it like a lizard loosing it's tail. It would be bald patches and can take months for it to grow back in.

Here is what I don't get.
1) You just asked about the fur slip, then said it grew back perfectly. NO FREAKIN WAY is a fur slip that just happened going to grow back that quickly. It took bubbles months for her fur to grow back from fur chewing.
2) Now you're saying that she got it over Christmas.
3) You said you did research about breeding, and yet you haven't seen 'signs' of her being pregnant. A chin that was bred over Christmas won't really show being pregnant until usually around the last month, which correct me if I'm wrong, will be around mid April.
4) You said in the other thread when you wanted to breed that your parents would pay for it, now you say you have $40,000? You also said that your brother's baby sitter would let you borrow it. Why in the world would you need to borrow if you have that much?
5) What makes me cackle the most is you said originally "I want to breed I've done research I'm awesome blah blah blah" then you blame it on your parents when people say "Hey, that's a bad idea"

I swear, every time I check your posts you make me laugh a little more with how the story always changes.

Don't try. It really is completely pointless. The story has changed so many times that I really don't think even she knows the truth.

Don't try. It really is completely pointless. The story has changed so many times that I really don't think even she knows the truth.

I'll tell you what I think the truth is. At least in the mind of a 14 year old scam artist. Male + Female = Babies. Not telling age = People thinking might be decent breeder = Money. People finding out about age = OOPSY! Mom and dad made me! = Adoption fee = Money.

If your parents really dislike the amount of animals you have, and since you have to live by their rules for 4 more years, I suggest thinking of rehoming some of your animals. And with the different amount of species you have with their different needs for climate control and since they're all apparently in one space, I don't think that's the proper way to care for them.

I'll tell you what I think the truth is. At least in the mind of a 14 year old scam artist. Male + Female = Babies. Not telling age = People thinking might be decent breeder = Money. People finding out about age = OOPSY! Mom and dad made me! = Adoption fee = Money.

If your parents really dislike the amount of animals you have, and since you have to live by their rules for 4 more years, I suggest thinking of rehoming some of your animals. And with the different amount of species you have with their different needs for climate control and since they're all apparently in one space, I don't think that's the proper way to care for them.

You have no way of knowing this. Also, have I scammed? I might have lied actually I'll admit but there is a chance that they both could be boys. Sadly, I trusted the pet store. I will never scam. I can swear to you that is the truth. Maybe I might have said lies. I actually never said anything about a breeder. Yes, I didn't want to mention pet store. I would get so much stuff happening. If you want to think I am lying about that story think again. Actually, climates are easily done with reptiles. Lights, heat pads, heat rocks, misting, etc. Also, I just don't like telling people my age. Is that ok?

Is there a noticeable space between the genitals? Do they look the same? There are great pictures on here to show you what you are looking for. I'll get the link if no one else does.

ETA: Sticky in breeding and babies:http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=469 Notice the line on the female cone that is on the side closest to the anus. Looks kind of like a mirror image in the last photo.

Last edited:
Can I get some info on this fur slip?

A fur slip is what chins do as a defensive mechanism...when a predator, person, or other chin grabs a chin (usually from behind) the chin will slip fur, leaving the 'grabber' with a handful of fur and no chin. Fur can also get caught on things and slip that way too.

If your chin had an actual bald spot, it was most likely a fur slip. Chewers don't chew themselves completely bald. They chew the tips off of their fur, leaving the chewed fur still attached, just shorter.

An easy way to tell if shorter fur has been chewed or if its just fur that's growing in after a slip is to look for the bar. If you blow into to a chins fur (with the exception of some mutations - whites, dark ebs, etc), you'll see three distinct parts to the fur: the underfur, the bar (should be white on a standard), and the tip. You will not see the bar or tip on chewed fur because its been chewed off. You will see it on fur that is growing in.

Last edited:
Back