Fur chewer

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannahdear

My Chinchilla is a fur chewer I think I have tried many things. I thought at first it was fungus but it wasn't there was only skin and nothing to implement that there was fungus there. I will do what tunes said but does anyone else have any ideas to this problem. May I please have sugestions.
Thank you very much.

If your chin chews it's fur, there's really nothing you can do about it. Some do it because of stress, others just always do it. You can try giving extra toys and playtimes to get their mind off of it, but there isn't a medication or anything to give them to make them stop.

It can also be genetic, so I hope that you never decide to breed this chin.

If it isn't red and scaley, then it most likely isn't fungus.

Last edited:
Give her lots of chew toys, change her cage up (shelves, etc.) every few days, and try a variety of chew toys to keep her busy. Give her extra playtime, and if she does not have a wheel, get her one. Otherwise, it is not harmful to her health, so just love her "bad haircut!"

I must agree with what has been said. Extra toys, extra play time, extra love and attention.
And another thing, never breed this chin. Fur chewing is thought to be genetic. IF she's not a pet store chin, you should contact her/his original breeder, tell them what lines she came from and see if they're having the same problems or just so they can get a heads up.

No problem guys there will be no breeding. I may breed one day but not this chinchilla. Thanks for the help. The hair is growing back. If it is stress does that mean it is genetic? I just want to know because you never know what else she may have. Does a chinchilla that is breeding quality chew fur when stressed? I messed up one time because I put her in a cage that she isn't use to (bigger cage) and also it was not as high, so she never saw my dog before. Lets say something sort of happened. Nothing medical just a accident.

Last edited:
Give her lots of chew toys, change her cage up (shelves, etc.) every few days, and try a variety of chew toys to keep her busy. Give her extra playtime, and if she does not have a wheel, get her one. Otherwise, it is not harmful to her health, so just love her "bad haircut!"

I call it being naked. If you saw where it is bald you would say it was too.

Lets say something sort of happened. Nothing medical just a accident.

What does this mean? I'm sure if there was an "accident" with a dog, that could be enough to make your chin chew its fur.

And no, an animal that is quality should not chew its fur even when its stressed.

Any animal can chew, being a quality one or not doesn't mean it won't chew.
It sounds like in your case it might be a stress thing. If its genetic than it more than likely won't quit. Being ranchers we don't keep them, they are culled. Try putting Tinactin or Desenex directly on where it is chewing and in its dust bath. Neither product will hurt them even if applied directly on them.
If its not going to be bred and is a pet then like ChinnieChantel said just love her for her funky haircut. :thumbsup:

Yea its getting better now almost no skin at all. So no its not genetic because she has stopped for about maybe a week hoping more. Thanks for that idea and not going into breeding. I appreciate to all who have been making suggestion for me.

Quick question about that should I get a wheel that she can play on while playtime?

Quick question about that should I get a wheel that she can play on while playtime?

Usually a wheel such as a "chin spin" or the "flying saucer" are attached to the inside of their cage and not free-standing outside on the floor somewhere during their playtime. It would definitely get knocked down by the chin and it may get hurt.

Lol sorry this wasn't clear if I got a playpen. You can attach it to it right? Does this make sense?

If the play pen is sturdy enough to hold the wheel than I get the concept. But I don't understand why you wouldn't just have it in the cage?

And just because she has stopped chewing doesn't mean it isn't genetic. Chewers can stop and start all the time...:thumbsup:

I messed up one time because I put her in a cage that she isn't use to (bigger cage) and also it was not as high, so she never saw my dog before. Lets say something sort of happened. Nothing medical just a accident.

What do you mean?

I wanted to add that furchewing CAN be detrimental to health, if it's severe enough (or becomes severe enough) then it CAN cause intestinal blockage...which is a serious health concern in chinchillas.

That all said, even if a chinchilla chews from stress...it was genetically predisposed to do so IMO. Think about it this way...you have two chinchillas living in a house with a dog. The dog barks all of the time...the one chin chews and the other doesn't...everything else in their lives is exactly the same. What's the difference that causes one to chew but not the other? Genetics.

I've dealt with my share of chewers...and have tried everything in the book to make it stop. Sometimes things worked...others there was just no helping.

That all said, even if a chinchilla chews from stress...it was genetically predisposed to do so IMO. Think about it this way...you have two chinchillas living in a house with a dog. The dog barks all of the time...the one chin chews and the other doesn't...everything else in their lives is exactly the same. What's the difference that causes one to chew but not the other? Genetics.

I do believe I agree with you, I mean, thinking about it, it does make quite a bit of sense.
A chinchilla who's never been around fur chewing, never seen it, just has the sudden 'instinct' to do so, yeah, seems like genetics to me. Especially if the other isn't doing it and never has.

It sounds to me like this was a case of slipped fur, which is definitely due to stress. A chin will slip fur when they are trying to get away from someone or something (say, a dog). Slipped fur can leave a bald spot and will grow back. Fur chewing is completely different, and they don't chew down to the skin - it really does look like a bad haircut.

It sounds to me like this was a case of slipped fur, which is definitely due to stress. A chin will slip fur when they are trying to get away from someone or something (say, a dog). Slipped fur can leave a bald spot and will grow back. Fur chewing is completely different, and they don't chew down to the skin - it really does look like a bad haircut.

Oh ok thats probably it. My dog hit the cage with his paw and probably scared her. So everyone knows she is high enough way from the dog that he won't bother her anymore. I wasn't thinking and put in a cage that was bigger but it was horrible and broke. That probably add to it. My dog though didn't touch her and I noticed it and stopped it before it could happen again. I guess it wasn't fur chewing. Can I get some info on this fur slip? Is there a way to speed up the growth of the hair? She has grown all the hair back and is very happy once again.

Back