Feed Change!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what would you recommend when it comes to feed? Try the new formula, or try Fibre3? I only ask because I am going to be down to about 10 lbs, so I am going to have to put in an order. Both are very similar in their ingredients, so I'm a little stuck on which to try.

I'll probably get both, probably do a test group and one for the regular. It'll also depend on which one is cheaper.

For me the price doesn't really matter since right now I am only feeding 6 chins. I'm more worried about what will do better with my itty bitty herd. My issue with getting both is having 100 lbs of feed that I won't be able to sell since people aren't used to it. I don't want it all to be stale in 5 months.

Ah well. I guess it's time to make a decision.

Which would you think would taste better? lol

Personally I'm going to try the new Show formula. See how it goes. I just bought a 50 lb bag of the PANR though, so I'm not sure when I'll have to get the new stuff.

My issue with getting both is having 100 lbs of feed

The Fibre3 is supposed to come in 7 lbs, 25 lbs, and 50 lbs so if you wanted you could just get a small bag to try for a while.

Both feeds look good on paper, so its just a matter of seeing what they like and what they do best on. I think I'll do the same as Tara, get some of both and set up a couple test groups (one for each feed) and see who does better. I really hope they do well on the Fibre3. Since its sold in 7 lb bags, it would be another feed option for those with 1-3 chins...something that hopefully most people can find locally.

dang.........i just got my boys all ON the PANR! I have been mixing & i am down to just 1/3 of the mazuri and 2/3 PANR and 2 of my boys are on 100% PANR. guess i will try the new stuff and see how they like it, at least i have enuf to mix. way to go Purina!

My main issue with Purina is just that we didn't get much, if any notice. The new feed (the Rabbit Chow Show) really isn't all that much different. I had actually looked into the Fibre3 before, but was happy with the PANR so I didn't bother to do that much research on it. At least the new feeds are both still good feeds.

crysta--its not even on their website! i have enuf food to last a bit, so i am hoping someone who doesnt and has to move to the new stuff can provide us with some feedback. so frustrating tho. hopefully the new stuff is comparable and the switch is seamless!

I am off to run errands tomorrow and will be picking up a bag of the Purina Fibre3 if I can find it. I have decided to switch to Purina from Mazuri, and would like to test out the high fiber feed. I will be picking up a 7 lb. just to try it out. But if there is any interest, I will gladly pick up a second 7 lb. or a larger 25 lb. bag and share it. It would only be $0.50 a pound or so plus shipping, although I will calculate a final price tomorrow. So if anyone wants a few pounds to try, let me know and I will get some extra. I'll be leaving at about 8 am and I'll check this thread before I leave, so post before then or PM me if you want some!

crysta--its not even on their website! i have enuf food to last a bit, so i am hoping someone who doesnt and has to move to the new stuff can provide us with some feedback. so frustrating tho. hopefully the new stuff is comparable and the switch is seamless!

What's really, really strange is yesterday it was on their site. Today I am looking and you are correct, I don't see it.

So what would you recommend when it comes to feed? Try the new formula, or try Fibre3? I only ask because I am going to be down to about 10 lbs, so I am going to have to put in an order. Both are very similar in their ingredients, so I'm a little stuck on which to try.

Here's a thread on a rabbit board I use, discussing Fibre3. There is a lot of mixed reaction from rabbit people on this feed; some love it, some absolutely hate it. I realize rabbits and chins aren't necessarily quite the same, but it seems that most of the quality rabbit feeds are also considered "quality" chin feeds, and the effects of those feeds seem to be similar in both species.

http://rabbitsontheweb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6751&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Thanks for that link minrex, I found it very useful. Startch plays a huge role in animals, too much and you get loose stool, too little and you loose condition. My entire herd has lost condition on the last batch of PANR so I'm very unhappy but have no alternatives.

Based on the lack of starch in Fiber3, me being a breeder, and the knowledge that the mill that it comes from is not doing a good job with the current PANR I will probably try the Chow Show until everyone is up to snuff. Then maybe try the others in the spring if I'm unhappy.

I went to my feed store yesterday, and they swore up and down that the green bag was the replacement for the PANR with the blue bag I used to use. Now I see that sure doesn't look to be the case. The new bag I have is the Purina Rabbit Complete. I don't have more than a day or two left of the "blue bag" food, and I can't make it to another feed store until next weekend. Is is okay to feed the Complete, or am I better off begging my husband to go get me a bag from a different feed store?

Looking at the food the only thing I am not a fan of is just how close corn is to the top of the ingredients. It's protein is the same as the PANR, as are most of the ingredients. If you can get to another store to get some of the show before you run out I would. Remember too though, you need enough to mix with whatever new food you use for the switch. If you can't get the new food before you run out of the PANR (with still having enough to do a slow switch) I would stick with the current bag. I like the PANR/PRCS (Purina Rabbit Chow Show) a bit better when it comes to ingredients, but the complete is far from horrendous.

My only issue is that you will then be doing a 3rd feed switch when the green bag runs out. So yeah, see what hubby can do. You can always put an ad up on CL for the current bag so you don't lose out on too much of the cost to you.

Thanks. The fat content is also much lower. Unfortunately, I don't have enough food left for a switch no matter what I use. Until I read this thread yesterday, I wasn't even aware Purina had switched formulas. I don't usually let my food get this low, but I was out of town last week and the week before I didn't get off work early enough to make the hour drive to the feed store before they closed. I'm definitely not a happy customer with Purina not giving any warning that they were changing things.

I would just feed them hay until you can get the feed you intend to use permanantly. It won't hurt them and you won't have to change to a third feed.

I do have a bit of PANR left if you need some for a switch. I can fit 3 lbs in a flat rate envelope and can have it mailed out tomorrow. It would be $1.80 and $4.95 shipping. I can't do any more than the 3 lbs so I also have enough to do the switch. Just let me know if it's something you want to do and I will package it up when I get home from work.

Thanks for the offer! My usual feed store is closed on Sun, but I found another one that is open, so I'm on my way right now. I checked, and I do have just enough PANR left for a switch. Thanks for your help!

Back