Ebba

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look at the difference in her size compared to her litter mates! Hopefully now that her body is healing it can start to concentrate on growing and catching up. There have been plenty of hedgehogs that have had a missing foot or leg, and they have done very well. If you ever get the chance ask Standing Bear at the Flash & Thelma Memorial rescue about Fred. He was a rescue from California that lost portions of both back legs to gangrene. I had the pleasure to meet Fred before he passed away a few years back (due to old age), and the only way I knew it was Fred was the hedgehog had a "strange" gait. He moved around just fine.

I'm just loving how dark Ebba's mask and coloring is currently. I know she can still fade a bunch, but she is just adorable.

Ebba is doing amazing - she is a little miracle! The vet says that at this point no more antibiotic is needed. If the stump changes appearance at all I can send pictures and get more antibiotic. At 6 weeks I hope she is strong enough to take a trip to the vet for a check-up!
Thanks for all the support you guys - you have no idea how much it helps reading positive posts when going through a difficult time! :)
(47 grams this morning!)

Ebba is 80grams! She is moving around, eating the dry food, and drinking water! I plan on keep her with Hannah until she is over 100grams which might not be too long!! She is going to the vet with her brothers and mother Wednesday morning, I'm crossing my fingers that no surgery is needed to remove the rest of the stump. She is such a cutie and so full of personality - she loves to nibble on my fingers and then self annoint, and sit in my hand peeking through all of my fingers :) Its going to be hard to give her up! But she is going to a wonderful home!!!!

Ebba got the "all clear" from the vet this morning!! The vet was shocked at how good her stump looked and said she will most likely never need surgery!!!! The only reason surgery would be required is if Ebba starts to rub her stump raw, which according to the vet is unlikely! The vet even said that she would be able to run on a wheel like a normal hedgie :) Ebba is my little miracle!
(and 89grams last night! - Whoo Hoo!!)

New pictures of Ebba
Posing for the camera
1Ebba-2.jpg

“You woke me up!” (Grumpy face)
1Ebba6-2.jpg

1Ebba5-2.jpg

1Ebba4-1.jpg

1Ebba3-2.jpg

She looks amazing. Im so glad to see her recover so beautifully! Watching her recover makes you rethink the little things in life that make us so upset. She is very inspirational.

Ebba has actually found a perfect home! She has been visited by her new hedgie mom several times and will probably be leaving on Sunday :( She is growing so quickly now - already 122 grams! She is a little hedgie angel :) It will be hard to let her go (I had planned on keeping her unless the perfect home was found, which is why I named her lol) but she is staying in Rochester so I'll be able to visit her and hopefully I can "hedgie-sit" too :) The gal is very knowledgable and very kind - Ebba will be well loved! Ebba is being "adopted" out free but with conditions.
I really hope this thread can help inspire other people who may have a sick hedgie. Miracles do happen!!! Without a miracle Ebba would not be with us today... Its always worth trying - who would have thought that a 1 week old hoglet with an infection would survive??? I know I had my doubts....but I'm VERY glad I was proved wrong!!!!!!!

Ebba went to her new home on Sunday. Her new owner is active on hedgecentral.com so hopefully there will be some threads about her on there!

Aww that's great that you found a good home for her and that she is doing so well. I've been pushing for that little girl since you first posted about her. I'm sure it was hard letting her go but at least you can be proud of yourself for knowing you helped her survive a tough time. Good job!

Ebba went to her new home on Sunday. Her new owner is active on hedgecentral.com so hopefully there will be some threads about her on there!

On eof those conditions should have been to have her join here and keep us up to date with her here! :)

Yes, we need updates here!

Ebba is a very lucky hedgehog. It is simply heart warming to see such a good ending, though not a real ending as she has her whole life ahead of her yet.

Back