Ear Tags

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sycamore Chins

Okay, getting ready for my first order of ear tags.

Everyone gets the 1005-1 ear tags right?

Now as for the stamping vs. laser etching what does everyone do? It says the the stamping they can only do 3 consecutive numbers, but what do you guys do if you have a 4-digit ranch brand?

The laser etching says they can cram more numbers on there but there is only a price per 1000 - I'm only getting 100.

Any suggestions or comments on ordering ear tags? Thanks!

I have my ranch brand, CCHT on one side. On the other side is number only. I ordered 1-100 a few years ago but will probably need to order another hundred soon (101-200)...

I don't have year on my tags (X, Z, A, etc) because I don't produce enough chins a year. I just assign the tag numbers to each chin and record it.

Did you do your 4-digit ranch brand on one side with the stamping or the laser-etching?

I'm just going to do the 1-100 numbers as well. They should last me the three years I have until I can start expanding then I'll put the year letters on.

I need to order some as well, I don't remember the number off hand, but I do remember they're the ones that say "fish" on them, because I always thought that was funny.

I did the stamping because I'm cheap like that! I did have mine ink filled, don't bother wasting your money on it though, because it wears off quickly anyway.

Ours are stamped. They have JAGS on one side and the numbers 0001-2500 on the other. I have never seen a good enough reason to put the year letter on them as you never need all the numbers anyway. I am about to order 2500-3000 in the very near future but the first 2300 have lasted for almost 20 years just tagging breeding and show animals with the occasional few for other people. These tags can go up to 6 digits but after 3 they will wrap around the bend of the tag towards the ranch brand.

http://www.nationalband.com/1005b.htm

Thanks for the reminder! I have been meaning to order tags.

Haha, glad I could remind everyone!

Thanks guys! I'm starting to have a harder time telling my standard growers apart cuz they're ALL so gosh darn good-lookin! And it feels like the appropriate next step since I'm getting more professional with the chins.

Back