Ear tag??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Easterpiggy

Master of the Fuzzies
Hey all, I haven't been here in a while due to having a baby and all. Any way I got a bff for my girl from a pet store and she has an ear tag. I know what it means but I don't know how to look her up. I wanna know her birthday and her age. Can someone please help me??:thumbsup:thanks

Ashley

p.s. I havent taken pics of my new chin yet but I have pics of my baby. my baby's name is Lilah the chin's name is Elspeth.

Attachments

• DSCN0260.jpg
    DSCN0260.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 34
The print on the ear tag should tell you the breeders, the year born, and the number the chin was for that year. Some breeders don't always use that method though, for example it might be the year Z, but they have a ton of V tags, they may tag it something like V201, although it's really animal Z1, because they know that they didn't have 200 born in that year, usually they'll record it as well.

The print on the ear tag should tell you the breeders, the year born, and the number the chin was for that year. Some breeders don't always use that method though, for example it might be the year Z, but they have a ton of V tags, they may tag it something like V201, although it's really animal Z1, because they know that they didn't have 200 born in that year, usually they'll record it as well.

Correct, and the ear tag may not even be labeled with the ranch brand, it could just be the number. Someone can help you if you let us know what's on the tag. There's no guarantee though.

I don't know that ranch brand. I know that Summer's are up that direction but they are SMR. Hopefully someone here chimes in and might know who it is.

Since it's a single number with no year alpha I'm going to guess it's a smaller rancher. But without it you have no idea on birth date unless you can find the rancher and contact them.

In light of the number though I'd definitely call him James Bond...

I don't really see Kari selling to a pet store, so I don't think it'd be them. Besides that I remember them tagging at one of our chin get togethers, and I'm pretty sure they use the standard numbering system with letters.

I know that depending on how old the chin was, some stores will take in animals that people bring in, so it might not have been sold to the store by the original breeder either... yet another issue with tracking down info on a pet store chin.

Just had to say:
Congradulations on your beautiful little girl(the human one). As for the ear tag I dont know much but I would love a pic of her when you have a chance. I've never seen an ear tag(all mine are rescues). Hope you find out where it came from.

the chin was, some stores will take in animals that people bring in, so it might not have been sold to the store by the original breeder either... yet another issue with tracking down info on a pet store chin.[/QUOTE]

I think you're right, I don't think she was sold to the pet store by the breeder. The pet store had her rooming with a male, and they said it was her son. Plus they "said" she was spayed but I didn't feel a scar. soooooo I am hoping she isn't with kit. That is the reason I come in every once and a while to sex their chins and make them separate them.:banghead:

Just had to say:
Congradulations on your beautiful little girl(the human one). As for the ear tag I dont know much but I would love a pic of her when you have a chance. I've never seen an ear tag(all mine are rescues). Hope you find out where it came from.

thanks, and about the ear tag we call it her bling;)

I got a spayed rescue once...the people had her for 4 years and had her spayed at the vets....

She had a beautiful baby about 3 months later....... I NEVER believe now when someone says they have been spayed even if they say They had it done. Definitly not a petstore they will say whatever they think you want to hear

Are you suggesting that because someone is not a super moderator that they don't know as much?

Unless you can find out who own's that brand you will know nothing. There are tons of brands for small breeders who don't show or participate in the forums, also of ones that were in for a year or 6 months then sold out. It is a ECBC brand, all MCBA brands begin with an M, although some ECBC brands can begin with one as well. You can contact ECBC office and see if they have a record of the owner for that brand, but they are reorganizing their files and stuff because of a change in management of the office.

Even if you do track down the original breeder they may have no information for or no record of that animal.

I'm sorry I didn't mean to imply that because other people aren't super mod's that they don't know as much. I am aware of the fact that most people around here are very knowledgeable. It was late when I wrote that. I wanted to see if Tunes knew anything. She usually knows everything.( again not saying that no one else doesn't know)

I am curious though. Her ear tag is on the lower right ear. The pet store said she came from a school or something.

Back