does different mutations fur feel different?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ive been wondering this for a while but never got around to ask. ive noticed that some mutations look softer than others and some look more silky.

Atlas is a violet and his fur to me feels softer to me than my other chins' fur

That billowy is called weak.

It's not necessarily a softer fur etc, it has to do with the texture of each animal. Although each mutation tends to have different textures that's not in stone. A white could have super tight fur that's strong as a standards and a standard could have weak lay down fur worse than most whites.

Ideally the fur should be straight and silky, not cottony or kinky. It should be strong enough to hold itself straight up out of the follicle and not "bend" or falling.

Pigments in fur have some effect on their texture, strength and how they feel usually as well.

So yes and no. They usually do, but ideally should not, if that makes any sense.

It's not necessarily a softer fur etc, it has to do with the texture of each animal. Although each mutation tends to have different textures that's not in stone. A white could have super tight fur that's strong as a standards and a standard could have weak lay down fur worse than most whites.

Ideally the fur should be straight and silky, not cottony or kinky. It should be strong enough to hold itself straight up out of the follicle and not "bend" or falling.

Pigments in fur have some effect on their texture, strength and how they feel usually as well.

So yes and no. They usually do, but ideally should not, if that makes any sense.

Yeah, that does make sense. Atlas came from a breeder, whereas my 2 standards where from a pet store. His fur feels silkier to me, whereas Zim and Jemma have more cottony fur. As for the babies I recently got, their fur is soft too but when they undergo priming and all that, will that make it more apparent then about the texture of the fur?

Never once said they weren't. :p Most whites I have felt though also have a bit of a fluffier texture than standards.

Also, I agree that my violet is the softest of any chinchilla here.

You're right Leni, baby fur will change after the first prime. Sometimes you can tell what the fur has the potential to be like, but you won't really know until around 6 months usually when the adult fur comes in. I know in a lot of animals the babies are "fluffier" like cats and puppies, this helps them keep in warmth as they are smaller and don't have as much body to help keep them warm. I'm guessing this may have the same factor for chins.

this is a pretty cool post, i had never even thought of them feeling different. i think i need to venture out there and pet more chins! ive only touched standards lol.

You're right Leni, baby fur will change after the first prime. Sometimes you can tell what the fur has the potential to be like, but you won't really know until around 6 months usually when the adult fur comes in. I know in a lot of animals the babies are "fluffier" like cats and puppies, this helps them keep in warmth as they are smaller and don't have as much body to help keep them warm. I'm guessing this may have the same factor for chins.

Thanks Riven. And Luci you're right, this is interesting. It's something I noticed when I first got Atlas but thought it would be like kitten or puppy fur. He's almost 8 months old now and his fur still feels silkier. He's primed and so have Jemma and Zim and they all still feel the same. Glad to know it wasn't just me wondering that.

makes sense. so the best fur is fur that can hold its place. i figured silky fur is better, just because it looks better.

Silky usually refers to the smoothness of the fur as a whole. Basically the texture of all of the fur on the animal. If an animals coats is smooth and even it could be called silky, opposed to fur that has some chunks missing or has an uneven coat. A lot of times you will hear a judge say " smooth over top" or something similar.

Back