Do you charge adoption fees?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReneeM

It's still two months off, but I may have someone interested in adopting Mira's two male kits. I was wondering if everyone charges an adoption fee? I'm not sure if I should or not. If I knew they were going to a good home, that provided all of the proper supplies for them, had an exotics vet lined up I may consider waving an adoption fee. They would be spending a few hundred dollars as a start up for two chins, if they got all of the proper supplies. My biggest concern would be the kits getting a good home.

I have never personally had to deal with this, or adopted so this is just a suggestion. When I was looking at possibly adopting a chin from a shelter, they had a rehoming fee. When I purchased a chinnie fro ma backyard breeder, as a pet I paid for the chin because the was selling the chin. I am in no way calling you a backyard breeder, I have been reading your story and am happy it will have a good ending. I think in your situation it is just your opnion. :)

I think an adoption fee should be charged. I know that you are putting a lot into these babies. I think people are more likely to just get a pet without much thought if it's free. Kinda like, oh well if it doesnt work out...it was free! Anyone who has done some research and decides that a chin is for them, should expect to pay a fee for their new buddy. Along with the fee you could provide some starter supplies to get them off on the right foot. Just my opinion, hope it helps!

Thanks for the opinions everyone! What amount do you normally charge for an adoption fee? I don't want it to seem like Im trying to sell the kits. They would go to a new home with lots of supplies :)

I charge $75 for an adoption fee but it includes a bath house, fleece hammock, a 3 months supply of dust, food, hay, hay cubes, wood and treats.

I charge a adoption fee to recoupe a bit of what I loose on the rescues. I usually charge $50 for stanard greys, $80 for pairs. And $65 to $100 for mute colors depending on color, age, and if they are in pairs I do a discount. I would charge a adoption fee even in your case. My only exception has been family and my neighbor. I see them all regularly so I know they are well taken care of. Free pets are the most likely to be neglected. Shelter studies have shown that. Good luck with your boys.

I charge an adoption fee, and we also have an adoption form for people to fill out. Without a fee... I worry too much. People will take anything, just cause it's free. Some people would try to get the animal free and sell it, others would just get it cause it's cute... I think charging an adoption fee makes the person think about if they really want it. Cause if they're going to spend money, they're more likely to think about it. If it's free, well, they're not out anything if it turns out it's not for them. So I always have adoption fees, unless it's like my best friend adopting or something.

And sometimes I don't even think just adoption fees are enough... before we had our adoption form, we'd have people adopt and have good intentions...but then have a cage full of plastic and all the wrong treats and stuff. So now we have a care packet they have to read prior to everything else, and an adoption form which asks what they're going to feed, what type of cage, what type of shelves, if they have air... and so on and so forth. Maybe I'm overly paranoid about the homes they go to, but it seems that the people that will go through all of that end up being really good homes. :))

I charge $50 for rescues. This includes any supplies the chin/s came with and a small supply of feed. I will add $25 for each additional chin $75 a pair for example.

I charge $50 for singles, $75 for pairs and unless any items they own aren't safe, they keep their supplies when they go to their new home. If they don't have any I send them with some. I do waive adoption fees for long term forum members who I know. I do have an adoption contract as well.

I use an adoption application and a contract as well. Didn't think to mention those until others started to. I also include items the chinchilla came with in their adoption fee (as long as said items are safe) on top of the items I listed above that are automatically included in my fee.

Last edited:
When I have rescues the fee depends on the chin, I don't have a flat rate. Just like the humane societies often charge more for more desirable dogs ( puppies, small dogs, and purebreds) and less for less desirable dogs ( usually larger breeds).

If someone is not willing to pay for an animal, they are less likely to be willing to pay for it's care in the future. Also, people will tell you what you want to hear, so unless you're checking the vet reference and seeing the home, you really can't be sure. Sad but true. For kits I don't think that $75 adoption fee is unreasonable, and if you feel bad charging that much you can always donate it or a portion of it to a shelter or other chin rescue or something. :D

Would you charge 75 for a pair of kits, or individually? I'm hoping to adopt the two boys out as a pair, I don't want them to be split up. I have a gray standard boy, and a pink-white male kit. I also have a young beige male. Although Im still trying to figure his personality out. He is super destructive, and goes through chew toys like candy. He is going to be an expensive chin to keep happy!

Back