Do whites shed more?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ippo456

I remember reading somewhere that whites shed more (or I'm just remembering wrongly) .. is this true?

I have a white (violet carrier) who sheds a lot compared to my standard grey & I keep having to swiffer everything. During summers, I normally have an ionizer & the filter would be clogged up in white fur in no time! Sometimes I brush him with a soft rabbit brush (wide bristles) & in one stroke I would get so much fur.

Just curious if it's just my chinchilla or other people's white chinchillas are also the same way.

I don't know if thats true or not, but white hair is more easily seen. So it may just look like they shed more hair than other colors. I have two chins that seem to prime more often than my other chins, you may just have a chin like that.

I'm not sure by any means on a general rule, but our white sheds a ton more than our other chins (standards, beige, and BV).

I think it's just that you can see the white better than any other color. My standards are putting out far more fur than the rest right now, but everyone is a mess.

I think it depends on the chin. For me, my white seems to shed the least. It's my standard and violet who always seem to be shedding.

Latest posts

Back