Deaths with Petsmart Chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZChins

Pro Cage Cleaner Champion
Sahuarita, Arizona (a half hour south of Tucson)
Lately I have talked to several people, who have lost chins within weeks of adopting their pet chins from Petsmart. It seems like they are having more deaths lately than normal. Is this something that is just going on in Arizona or does it seem like there are more problems with chins from Petsmart in other states?

It's winter now and the temperatures haven't been warm enough to cause deaths from the heat, so it's a little weird that there are more deaths happening. The warmer times of year are usually when the "mysterious" deaths occur around here.

I can't help but wonder if this is an illness rather than just a coincidence.

I've seen a few posts on a Petsmart group on Facebook from employees having chins returned to them dead or very sick. A few have had prolapses, some pneumonia/URIs, some unknown.

Considering all of the problems that have been going on in the chin world lately it doesn't surprise me that they would be affected too...

Hmm I got my baby from Petsmart and he is okay. He just got over a little thing with a fungal infection, but he is still fine.

Luckily our petstores don't sell chins but everything else I've bought excluding the family owned, all local bred stock, has died. Gerbils, guinea pigs, hamsters, fish... The only thing I buy from petco and petsmart these days is carefresh.

I've had a slew of customers recently that have mentioned purchasing chins on a whim from Petsmart and they die within 2-3 days - so they end up at my house after they're heartbroken. This has mostly been in the VA area from what I can remember..

Ok I have got a chin at petsmart in October of this year and he doing great but I got mine in Kentucky

The one here has been fine, my friend got hers from them. Hes so sweet, very well mannered. Hes doing fine, she even got a second one and hes just as sweet and even more well mannered.

Perhaps its just with a Particular vendor? The one here uses Barny's Pets. I know other states don't (there are a few in Or that use them) use them since they are CA based.

we bought one around december 7th, and he got very ill..a week later, we took him to he vet he's a lot better now, he's been on antibiotics... there was a TON of issues and conflicts we had with petsmart during this time...lets just say "They didn't care" so we paid the vet and we took care of the chin, I will never buy anything from petsmart or petco again. We got our other Chin from petco, and he is a year old now no problems at all. I defenatly recommend adopting or buying from a breeder

Problem with any chain store, they're just worried about the bottom dollar. They don't care what happens to the pets, of if they're healthy or not. They give the staff that does care no say, and rest of the staff could care less or is incompetent.

We bought a chameleon from PetSmart, I knew better, but I couldn't find a breeder around. We did 3x daily calcium shots because they recommended the wrong lighting. She bones were nothing but sponges and we had to force feed her bugs I mixed in the blender for weeks. She survived and got better.... but she died prematurely from the long term health issues.

Jacoby came from a Petsmart here in MD. I struggled to find a breeder and didn't know about all of you until later. Thankfully he is doing amazing. We have had him for a couple of months.

My very first chin, Gizmo, came from Petsmart. I have to say, she is 3 years old and has never had an issue at all. I have other girls that have come from breeders and they have problems (seizures, fungus, allergies).

Someone local on FB just messaged me asking advice for a chin not eating/drinking/pooping that came from Petsmart. She already had one pass and now her 2nd one is in trouble too...all of the heartbreak...IT IS SOOOO SAD...

I got my from a PetSmart as well and he is doing perfect. But I've had mione for over a year now nut I live in Ohio. I also buy everything I need for my chin from PetSmart as well so I'd say they are very trustable.

Back