Coughing?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riven

Bad Chin
I was thinking about this the other day. I've heard a chin sneeze, and it's accepted that chins can vomit, but can they cough?

Several days ago I stopped by and looked at a chin, the gal said he wasn't quite right and he ended up having a URI, while I was there he did something that can best be explained only to someone who has a dog with congestive heart failure as the hacking they do. It was not a cough, but more of a """aaaccckkk""" and it was the closest thing to a cough I'd ever heard a chin do.

So can they cough? Does anyone have information on that?

On a ending note, the owner has been updating me and said he's doing better with antibiotics, still not quite back to normal, but definitely getting there. :D

I was thinking about this the other day. I've heard a chin sneeze, and it's accepted that chins can vomit, but can they cough?

Sorry, I know it is a bit off the main topic, but why is it accepted that chins can vomit? Rodents in general lack the muscles for reverse peristalsis, so are chins different? I thought that is why bloat was so such a concern in rodents.

I have seen my guys yawn, and with the force with which I have been kacked at, it would not surprise me if they can cough...

I honestly do not know if they can or can't cough.. In the almost 10 years I've had them I've heard plenty of sneezes and such but have never heard them cough.

I have heard a cough when one of the chins was drinking from the water bottle and I guess got some down the wrong pipe.

Back