Concerns about showing chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarinuto

chin smitten
So, I have been thinking strongly about showing my chinnies or at the very least attending shows. I lean towards attending shows because I have some concerns about my chins and about myself during the process of showing. Looking for opinions and tips on these issues.

1. I am really concerned about the well-being of my chinnies. More so than ribbons and awards, I want my chinnies to be healthy. But, I read a lot on peoples sites of animals who start fur chewing after attending a show due to stress. It seems fairly common, but maybe in reality it's not?? I just don't want to stress my furbabies to the point of disease or unhealthy behaviors.

2. I am all new to the showing process. I've read a lot about it online and understand the terms such as conformation, etc, but that makes me no expert. At some point I am suppose to meet with Randy (jags) to discuss my chinnies and quality/ pairing... but until then I feel like a fish out of water. Also, I couldn't find a site online that describes with words AND pictures what to look for in quality chins. Does anyone know of a site such as this?

3. I don't want to make a fool of myself. Just from what I have learned of people on this site, showing chinchillas and breeding them is taken very seriously. I don't want to become the joke, or the percieved "backyard breeder" because I am a newbie and am a "virgin" to chin shows LOL.

Thoughts?

Don't be concerned about being new to showing and producing quality chins. I encourage you to visit Randy as soon as you can. He and Jeri are a wonderful source of information and knowledge. They will help ease your fears and encourage you to attend a show. Ranchers are happy to help new breeders or anyone who has a question. Everyone has to start somewhere and you are starting at a good place because you want to learn.

1. I am really concerned about the well-being of my chinnies. More so than ribbons and awards, I want my chinnies to be healthy. But, I read a lot on peoples sites of animals who start fur chewing after attending a show due to stress. It seems fairly common, but maybe in reality it's not?? I just don't want to stress my furbabies to the point of disease or unhealthy behaviors.

I personally have not seen any chinchillas come away from a show and start chewing. If people are saying their chins do that, their chins were already predisposed to chewing and any major stresser would have encouraged them to start. This is definitely NOT a common thing and chewing isn't unhealthy, it just means that chin shouldn't be bred.

2. I am all new to the showing process. I've read a lot about it online and understand the terms such as conformation, etc, but that makes me no expert. At some point I am suppose to meet with Randy (jags) to discuss my chinnies and quality/ pairing... but until then I feel like a fish out of water. Also, I couldn't find a site online that describes with words AND pictures what to look for in quality chins. Does anyone know of a site such as this?

You won't be able to find a website that shows that kind of information. In the wrong hands that would just be dangerous (you'd have people picking chins based on qualities they see in pictures and not lineage, health or actual qualities). The BEST way to learn is to go to a show and sit next to people that have attended multiple shows, like Randy. While the show is going on you can ask the judge to explain something in more detail or ask the person sitting next to you. Both organizations that put on shows are there to educate people, so questions are MORE than welcome!

3. I don't want to make a fool of myself. Just from what I have learned of people on this site, showing chinchillas and breeding them is taken very seriously. I don't want to become the joke, or the percieved "backyard breeder" because I am a newbie and am a "virgin" to chin shows LOL.

Just take things slowly. Don't jump in and try to breed every color possible or difficult colors like recessives. Start with something simple that you enjoy and go slowly so you don't end up in over your head. Also, starting out slowly ensures that you can be extremely picky about what you take into your herd and prevent you from going the wrong way. Breeding is taken very seriously, showing is not as big of a deal...we just want people who intend to breed to go learn at a show BEFORE jumping into chins. You will be amazed at how much you can learn at just one show. It's not stuff you can learn online...you have to be there and hands on.

I agree with above. If a chin comes back from show and chews... then it's not something you want to breed anyway. I took one of my males to three shows, each two weeks apart, the last one being nationals which is a 4-5 day trip for me. He placed first or better each time, and never chewed. There are others who have done similar things as well with no issues either.

I agree I have taken many a chin to shows and never had the chin chew his/her fur after. I have never also had a health problem with those chins after. I would do what I did, go to a show first without a chin and watch - watch people groom. watch the 'qualifications' , watch the judging. If you have a judge like Dave Woods, the judge will ask if anyone wants to come up front with him to watch. He then explains as he judges. Be warned that if you go for the full day, it is a 'long day'

I am not a breeder and have attended several chinchillas shows and seminars. They are wonderful events and you learn SO much. I have even brought my very low quality chins to seminars to ask for help in how to assist them in becoming better. Never once have I been made to feel foolish. The people at the shows I've met answer all my questions and are very friendly and fun!

Going to a show I've been able to see some really gorgeous chins, and you also see how hard everyone works to show their chins. This is a long process, not something you just do the night before and bam! you have a winner. These people are dedicated to the chinchilla and making it a better animal.

I never felt as if breeders though pet only owners were silly, I've always felt that breeders are very happy knowing their great quality chinchillas will go to a pet home.

I think if you want to breed you should first become a member of ECBC or MCBA, you should ask to have a breeder--a reputable breeder--mentor you, and you should attend shows as often and as many as you can.

When you first armed with a font of knowledge then I believe you can seriously get into breeding with confidence.

A reply for everyone!!

Kansas City Chinchillas-- Thanks!! I have only met Randy at this point, but they seem like great people from what I know at this point!! And I'm excited that someone with lots of experience will take the time to show a newbie like me!!

RDZCRanch-- I'm really happy that furchewing isn't something that happens commonly as a result of shows. I don't like putting the "children" in unneeded danger :)

I will totally go to a show and am not afraid of asking questions and will gladly take things slowly. All of the animals I have are pets first and foremost and I'm not trying to actively breed any of them besides the one litter I have in May... so I will attend some shows hopefully and then pick something to concentrate on! :) Thanks for the advice and thoughts.

Riven-- thanks for confirming that you've have healthy chins after the stress of showing and driving, etc.

Mt. Zion Chins-- Yea, I think I will start by just attending and observing before I go through the whole process myself :)

Laurie-- I also agree that I want to accrue as much information as I can to make the best possible decisions and it is true that everyone I have talked to in person have been very nice and willing to answer questions. Thanks for the pointers and for a view from a pet only chin owner!! :thumbsup:

I never felt as if breeders though pet only owners were silly,
Don't worry Laurie, we only laugh when you leave the room! :p Just kidding. There was a time when a lot of bigger breeders only dealt with bigger breeders. But today's pet owner, might be tomorrows top breeder. Everyone starts somewhere. Breeders ( and pet owners ) who are looking for quality are sometimes pushed out by backyard breeders, etc. Without patience for new people ( and not making them feel like fools ) the advancement in chins might someday be gone, because unfortunately, even the best breeders and ranchers won't last forever. So they want to impart their wisdoms while they are here, they don't want to see their lifetimes of experience just disappear. Also there are many new people standing in the same boat as you. Then the "middle class" of 'tweens striving to get there on a small herd ( and sometimes failing and sometimes winning ).

Do it, you'll love it. If not... keep doing it until you do! And where else can you meet so many people with the same passion for chins in one place IN PERSON!

I agree, going to shows is a great learning experience. I've not really personally shown, I've only had one chin of mine in a baby derby, however there have been times that I had to go out of town right after a show and so brought the chins with me to transport to someone's house. Being in a show cage or even sitting in a transport carrier during the day of the show has not caused any of my chins to fur chew and I actually haven't heard of this being common.

I have one girl that chews her fur when stressed, and she didn't start after being at a show either. Obviously I wasn't showing her as she was born from pet store parents, but sitting in the hall all day and at a hotel at night was not stressful for her.

Even if you don't go to show you'll get to see some top quality chins and learn a ton about fur quality. I don't breed but I still go to learn and to meet up with fellow chin owners and breeders. Not to mention that many shows have great raffles! But I've found that going to shows lets you get to know more people in the chin community and that way you have more people to turn to should you have an issue with one of your chins.

I agree that nothing substitutes the learning experience from a show. You can look at an animal and think wow, thats looks pretty good and then you put it under show lights and think yak what is that even doing on the table. I have only had one problem from traveling with a chin (who wasn't even shown) - I probably go to 2-3 shows a year- and it was not chewing. I find Jags, the Shoots, and the Ryerson's to be extremely helpful when I have questions. Dont be afraid to ask. I am sure they have heard just about everything.

I have actually asked my breeder to be my mentor and she is going to help me show Edgar just for the experience. Despite the long drive we are going to visit a month before the show to give him a rough grooming, learn more and possibly pick out our next chinchilla. I'm thankful that I was lucky enough to have bought from someone really into showing and loves to help others.

I would go for it! I went to my first show with my petstore chin, just wanting to learn. It was a great hands-on experience (plus, having to groom just one chin wasn't overwhelming) and I learned so much!

Out of the four years I've been showing, I have only had one youngster start chewing after coming back from the show and it just happened this year. I now generally show about 15 of my offspring each year so it definitely isn't common. It was a one-time occurance and she stopped after that first week back but she's a little spastic to begin with and I think she just did not tolerate the changes to her environment very well. Her parents have had many other litters (always triplets) and none of those offspring ever chewed after being shown. The parents have never chewed either and both are quite calm and friendly. She was always very jumpy from birth unlike her parents, even as a kit, and always gets spooked easily so I think it is just a random occurance of her personality type. However, she will never be bred because she could potentially pass down that jumpy temperment, fur-chewing tendencies and even chew the fur of her kits/teach them that behavior.

Fur-chewing after a show is definitely not common. If it does happen, well that chin probably would have fur-chewed after any trigger, be it moving the cage to a different part of the room or being put in a new cage or environment he/she is not used to.

Latest posts

Back