Concerned with Moving

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danakscully64

Chinchilla Mommy
I'm in a situation right now where I don't know if I should try to rehome my 3 chinchillas and sell my brand new cage (they haven't even moved in yet) or try and move my chinchillas halfway across the country. I am moving with my boyfriend, who is in the military, to Corpus Christi Texas from Southern California in a few weeks. I have many concerns, one main one being that I'll have to somehow transport 3 chinchillas, 1 rabbit, 7 fish, and a 45 pound dog in the heat soon. Also, if we have a hurricane while we're there, I don't know how I'm going to transport everything out of there in my Jetta ( I will have a Durango to move out there, but it's going back to California after). Also, during the holidays, my chinchillas will have to come with me in the car to drive back to California. Any suggestions? I was thinking cat carriers to move, but those are all plastic. Please someone put my mind at ease, I'm seriously losing sleep over all of this. What should I do? Do they make good cages to transport chinchillas in? Thanks.

I just wanted to note that I'm not concerned about them inconveniencing me, I'm just concerned for their well being. I'm scared that something will happen to them during the move or in a hurricane. When it comes to my animals, I fear EVERYTHING. Almost everyday I fear a bad earthquake will strike and knock over their cages and I won't be there to help them (every time one occurs, even small ones, I call frantically to my house). I also fear a fire will start. I don't want my babies to get hurt :cry3::cry3::cry3:

I'm the stereotypical over concerned mother.

I am very bonded with all of my animals, I don't want to give them away, but I'm trying to put their needs first.

ARE THE CHINS IN THE SAME CAGE? If so you could get like a small dog kennel for the trip. If they aren't in the same cage. you can get some carriers from I think its quality cages they sell a three one but they are separated.But you can too this. relax take a deep breathe, good luck

There's been people that have moved coast to coast with no problems, so calm down!
Also people driving to shows 12 - 14 hrs. one-way, so it can be done, safely!
I prefer keeping them seperate in small carriers, so they cannot bounce around or get at one another if they "freak out" for some unknown reason, available from Quality Cage.
Small water bottles, a Tlb. of food and some hay - they'll be fine! Keep it under 75 degrees in the car, for comfort!

Once you get to Corpus though, you may need to buy a dehumidifier! It is yucky sticky down there. You can organize an evac plan when you get down there (soon after, but after). Just take care of getting them there first. Your fish are the ones that will have a hard time with the trip I would think. You can fit a lot into a Jetta (I put a whole boxed drum set in one a while back, plus a bunch of other stuff).

I would purchase a 3 hole carrier from Ryersons or someone else who makes them. I wouldn't get cat carriers, they're honestly a waste of money and with such a long trip you risk the chins getting out because there have been cases of chins eating through the carriers. Southern CA to CC, TX is about a 20 hr drive right?. As mentioned above, many people have done it before, so if you're dedicated to your animals, it can be done. Think of how chins sit in carriers on trips (some 10-20 hrs riding) and then sit on a show table for hours, then back in the carriers on the return trip. As long as you have air conditioning in the car, it can be done.

As far as the hurricanes go - you just have to be prepared. It's a risk you take with living in the area and the same goes with any animal. I keep my carriers in my chin room and they're ready for anything that happens. Chins aren't as delicate as many people believe them to be, you can get a chin to safety if you prepare for it. For instance - a few years ago my grandfather caught a cedar tree on fire that was right in front of my bedroom window when he was trying to burn brush around the trees. I saw the flames from my window and rushed to get the chins in the carriers before I thought about anything else, and I had probably 10 chins at the time. It was probably 90 degrees outside so I took them over to a neighbors house until we got the fire out.

Thanks everyone! I feel a little better now. I'm trying to be as prepared as possible, moving is just a big deal and this is my first time leaving my parents house, so I've got a lot to do.

Aw, thanks Snickers. How large is it? Do you have a photo?

I don't have a picture but if you go to JPchinchillas.com look under supplies. The 4- hole
carrier doesn't look like the one she has on her site the double decker. It looks like the 3-hole but with another hole I hope that makes since.

i have seen those 3 & 4 hole carriers and i think that would be your best bet not just for the move but then you would have them both in the event of natural disaster and for travels at x-mas time or other times you need to bring with. they are also pretty reasonable.

Like this with 1 extra spot?

3-Hole_Carrier.jpg

Is this the kind that has the removable panels to make the holes bigger? Just curious.

i have seen those 3 & 4 hole carriers and i think that would be your best bet not just for the move but then you would have them both in the event of natural disaster and for travels at x-mas time or other times you need to bring with. they are also pretty reasonable.

I agree! I saw them on the Qualify Cage site the other day and thought they would be good for emergencies. :thumbsup:

Once you get to Corpus though, you may need to buy a dehumidifier! It is yucky sticky down there. You can organize an evac plan when you get down there (soon after, but after). Just take care of getting them there first. Your fish are the ones that will have a hard time with the trip I would think. You can fit a lot into a Jetta (I put a whole boxed drum set in one a while back, plus a bunch of other stuff).

I live in Florida where it is just as humid. I use a window unit for the room the chins are in. It keeps the humidity at around 50% which is more than suffecient. No dehumidifier needed. :D

I also have to deal with the periodic hurricane. When you have to evacuate, you just bring the chins with you. Or, if it is just a tropical storm, or something not severely strong make it a point to just have a small generator on hand. Just something large enough to run a window unit.

Oh, forgot say that I have 2 males and 1 female, the boys are normally together but could easily be separated for the trip (they've been at odds a bit lately).

We have the COOLEST SMILIES EVER HERE!

I am :moving: to be with my :soldier: We will be taking our :chin3: x 3, our -dog3-, and our :rabbit:.

I could write novels with these things!!! If only we were allowed more than 5 per post...

I just moved 20 chins (one pregnant and due) 2 boxers, a boston terrier, trailered a car and a 26' uhaul from NC to TN with a friend and everyone made the trip just fine. You will be fine - just remember that the ac must be on at all times and not to put the chins in the floorboard of the car - its hot there. And to get a few hay cubes to put in the carriers...I had fish but I rehomed them so that may be one way to destress the move a bit (I wasn't attached to them and I just posted a free to good home ad on craigslist and they were gone the next day). Good luck and you wont regret getting the metal carriers.

I have always been told that fish do not move well. I guess it all depends on how resilient the fish are.

As far as worrying about your chins, It seems like lots of people here have their chins in more dangerous (not sure if that is the right word) places but have their plans set up so they and their chins are safe. It is all about having a good plan in case something happens. With the crazy weather around the country, there is hardly a place you can live without some sort of crazy risk.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back