Concerned with Moving

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done Rochester, NY to Portland, OR and back 3 times now. They did just fine. A/C is your friend, and if it is in the heat of the summer you won't be able to stop at all during the day because the car will get too hot. My 3 chins did great in a 3 hole carrier from Quality Cage.

hey! welcome to texas! i live in galveston and youre quite lucky there wasnt a hurricane this year! i was also dreading it cuz i was evacuated last year during IKE. but im glad the weather has been pleasant (kinda...).

im just so happy when i see more members living in texas!

oh and side note: my boyfriend is also in the army! national guard right now and hopefully finishing school so theres no "move" in the foreseeable future.

double yay!

hey! welcome to texas! i live in galveston and youre quite lucky there wasnt a hurricane this year! i was also dreading it cuz i was evacuated last year during IKE. but im glad the weather has been pleasant (kinda...).

im just so happy when i see more members living in texas!

Thanks! I was honestly worried about moving here, the thought of getting hit by a hurricane with 5 animals and lots of precious items is scary! I'm from California, I'm used to earthquakes. Texas is different than California, but I'm adjusting.

oh and side note: my boyfriend is also in the army! national guard right now and hopefully finishing school so theres no "move" in the foreseeable future.

double yay!

That's nice! I have a friend whose husband just got out of the Coast Guard and many friends online who have military husbands. My boyfriend is in the Navy (training to be an aviator right now). Where are you originally from?

Last edited:
TO ANYONE CONCERNED ABOUT MOVING:

I thought my chinchillas were not going to handle it well, but they did REALLY good. I ended up moving my girl in a small cage (about 14" x 14", Snickers was kind enough to give it to me) and my boys in a small guinea pig cage (fit their favorite house and they still had a little room to move). The A/C went constantly and they stayed really cool. They slept all day and their eating/drinking habits only slightly changed. We had issues with the water bottles, but next time I'll figure something else out. I took pictures, I'll post them soon. :D the trip was a total of 3 days and once the trip was over and they were back in their cage, they acted like nothing had happened.

im originally from el paso, tx. im just in galveston for school. weather is still very different across the state though.

but thankfully its cooling down a bit! i have a few friends in corpus but havent been in years.

and thats cool about your bf being in the navy. my school is a maritime academy so i have quite a few friends who are about to commission and my roommates boyfriend is actually waiting to hear if he can go to flight school. crazy military boys!

Glad to hear your move went well. I'm just guessing here but, for future reference, they don't have to have water 24/7. You should remove the bottles when traveling because, they will leak and make a mess. Most driving is done during the day when the chins are sleeping anyway. When you stop for the night, put the bottles back in the cage/carrier. I moved from NY to MO(18 hrs/1100 miles) with 8 chins in JP carriers and 3 cats in a large dog carrier. I had the chins in my vehicle with a small digital thermometer to make sure they didn't get too warm. Three day trip, no problems. On a side note Red Roof Inns are great for people with pets!

Hey you two, sorry for the late reply, I didn't have the internet for a while and when I logged in a bit ago, it didn't tell me I had unread messages in threads.

im originally from el paso, tx. im just in galveston for school. weather is still very different across the state though.

but thankfully its cooling down a bit! i have a few friends in corpus but havent been in years.

and thats cool about your bf being in the navy. my school is a maritime academy so i have quite a few friends who are about to commission and my roommates boyfriend is actually waiting to hear if he can go to flight school. crazy military boys!

It did cool down a lot from the time I got here until now. It rains a lot here, I'm not used to that :p It will be clear one day, the next there's a storm.

That's great to hear! OCS is tough, I could never earn my commission as an Officer, I would die :p Day 1, dead.

So, did your roommates bf get any news on flight school? :)

Glad to hear your move went well. I'm just guessing here but, for future reference, they don't have to have water 24/7. You should remove the bottles when traveling because, they will leak and make a mess. Most driving is done during the day when the chins are sleeping anyway. When you stop for the night, put the bottles back in the cage/carrier. I moved from NY to MO(18 hrs/1100 miles) with 8 chins in JP carriers and 3 cats in a large dog carrier. I had the chins in my vehicle with a small digital thermometer to make sure they didn't get too warm. Three day trip, no problems. On a side note Red Roof Inns are great for people with pets!

Thanks :) I wasn't in the car with the animals and I didn't want them to travel in the heat for 3-4 hours at a time without getting access to water. The car did end up staying very cool, I was just worried. I know what it feels like to not have access to water, I would hate for my chins to experience that. My rabbit situation turned out to be worse, he's up during the day and night (he sleeps whenever) and his bottle leaked the worst. On day 2, I would fill his bottle 1 cm up and put a towel under the dispenser. I would add more every time we stopped. That turned out to be the hardest part. Also at night, my dog wanted to bark and play with the animals in the hotel room, so she kept us up both nights walking back and forth, trying to get into the bathroom where we had to put them.

We stayed at La Quinta both times and were very satisfied :) I love that so many motels now allow pets. They didn't make us pay extra either.

This was taken right before leaving:

IMG_3406-1.jpg

Twilight is in the smaller cage, Shadow and Midnight are below.

Twilights cage fit perfectly in the front passenger seat while the boys and my rabbits cat carrier fit perfectly in the back. If either cage was any bigger, it wouldn't have worked.

:D Couldn't have worked out better! :) Now we're just trying to figure out how to get back to California for the holidays, we're one seat short. :p

Latest posts

Back