Compatable??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm assuming since this is in the breeding section you want to breed the two colors together.

Why would you breed the two mutations together? What are you trying to accomplish with the breeding pair?

can they be bred. and I am breeding to improve. I have shown both of the chinchillas. Both of them got excelent and the male got bob and bos. (best of breed and best of show)

There is no such thing as best of breed or best of show in the chinchilla world. Whoever told you they took those awards is lying to you.

I'd have them re-evaluated at an ACTUAL chinchilla show before considering breeding them. If you are truly wanting to improve you need to attend some chinchilla shows. It's also basic knowledge that when you want to breed to improve you include standards in your pairs...instead of breeding mutation to mutation. There is a show section on this forum, you can go there and find a show that is near you and attend it. You will learn a lot at a show.

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish with a beige paired with a white. Like Alli said, it's a mute to mute pairing, and that is definitely not a step in the right direction to improving the breed per se. Just because both chins were shown and had good comments does not mean they should necessarily be bred together. The chins should complement each other, and should have few flaws (if any). Which by the way, there isn't a best in breed award for chinchillas, or a best in show--its called grand show. Which show were they shown at?

ETA: darn tabs, you type faster than me =p

Unfortunately I'm not sure the judges at that type of show even know what to look for in chinchillas. If you want to get a real, educated opinion on your chins I would put them in an actual chinchilla show.

I agree with the others. I see no reason to breed those two together even if they did place well in a real chinchilla show (which they haven't).

I already answered this on Yahoo. You're not going to get any different answers here.

And why, by the way, do you even bother with Yahoo? You already know that you get crap advice there. So why would you not ask it here instead?

Also, as stated above, showing them at Billy Bob's Backyard Pet Emporium is NOT a chinchilla show. Go to a real one, learn the difference.

my male is neutered cookie hes a homoebony chin. My friend that's a breeder wants to breed my chin and hers together. We are going to introduce first and I am not putting the 2 males together because I know they would fight

Your friend must not be much of a breeder, I have never heard of someone using a chin as a stud service.

ETA: darn tabs, you type faster than me =p
:neener::neener:

Chinchillas should not be "studded" out like dogs. That's a backyard breeder if she's recommending doing that. It's not safe for your male or her female.

FYI...that is NOT a chinchilla show where they can judge your chinchilla's quality for breeding. You should go to a chinchilla SPECIFIC show instead of a small animal show. There is a huge difference.

Mutation to mutation (and who knows how many mutation pairings in their backgrounds) pairings is not improving the species. Where did the chins come from? Out of curiosity I would love to see pics of these bobs and bos.

C:\Users\Paul\Pictures\2009-11-11 Naninas photos\Naninas photos 298.JPG
there is my girlyy and i dont have any picture of the boy but I will post them tomarrow or the next day when I can take some. And did you mean pictures of the bos and bob awards?

another photo of her, her springtime adorableness :)
C:\Users\Paul\Pictures\2009-11-11 Naninas photos\Naninas photos 414.JPG

Looks like the links are from your computer, in order for us to have a link to them you need to upload them to a photo hosting site like Photobucket or you can attach them using the attachment manager at the bottom of the post before you submit it. I meant the "best of breed" and "best of show" chins :)).

Those are links to your own hard drive, nobody else can see them.

To answer your original question, no they are not compatible. If they reproduce they may alter space time as we know it. Turns out the hybrids of beiges and whites form a perfect flux capacitor. So please do not breed them.(odds are this will do more good then an ACTUAL reply).

Naninasphotos414.jpg

heres another (this is my girl like i said i will post the boys photos tomarrrow or the next day
Naninasphotos298.jpg

Back