chins is bloated, need help **** urgent

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HELLO, today went to revisit vet for check her teeth.
thanks god, the xray didnt show any teeth problem
but!
vet found that, next to her lower teeth, found some Calcification, which is small piece next to her lower teeth.
if you remember, the vet said my chin have some Calcification on her back leg, vet then take a full body xray, she found that there are also Calcification on the back bone and also on her hand, for Calcification, there is no treatment can help. my chin would feel painfull with this Calcification, but for myself, i live with her everyday, i didnt really cannot see her feeling painful, she eats, she plays, she walks, not seems painfulll, but i know i am not her...maybe she really feels a little bit pain..
vet said, we still need to give her metacam, and vet trying to give her injection -> cartrophen 0.03mL once a week, for 4 weeks. information as below
http://www.viovet.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=1_31_623&products_id=1792?
http://www.kvh.com.au/Cartrophen Vet.html
not sure if any of you know about Cartrophen?
vet said, maybe my chin take too much Calcium or Vit' D, that may casue Calcification. many years ago i gave my chin Nutral Cal, but only 1~2 tubes
the pellets i gave to my chin is mazuri mixed with Calf mana, not sure is this the main problem? she eats this mixed pellet for many years.

I would discontinue the Calf manna, I believe it is protein rich and has calcium. Just the Mazuri and timothy hay (do not feed alfalfa as Mazuri is an alfalfa pellet, alfalfa is rich in calcium) should provide the nutrition your chinnie needs. I am so glad that your chinnie does not have root elongation :)). I hope she continues to improve!

I would discontinue the Calf manna, I believe it is protein rich and has calcium. Just the Mazuri and timothy hay (do not feed alfalfa as Mazuri is an alfalfa pellet, alfalfa is rich in calcium) should provide the nutrition your chinnie needs. I am so glad that your chinnie does not have root elongation :)). I hope she continues to improve!

i cut the calf mana alredy in these days, before when she was normal, i didnt feed her alfalfa, only feed timothy or sometimes when she wont eat timothy, i feed her mountain grass hay

i had some rearch, i guess the name in english should be "soft tissue calcification"
if any of you heard this, please tell me more, thank you very much!!

maybe the calcification she is seeing is what we refer to as a tooth spur??? if so this can be filed down. Many of the members have had chins with tooth spur and after the filing they were much better. If they do file, you will need them to prscribe a pain reliever like metacam and also a mild antibiotic like tri meth sulfa. the reason for the antibiotic is because the spur could be rubbing against the gum and cause an abrasion which could become infected.
of course i am not a doctor, this is just what happened to me.........but it may be worth mentioned to your vet.

Either the chin has blood levels of calcium that are too high and exceed the ability of the kidneys to excrete or impaired kidney function may lead to impaired calcium excretion and therefore to mineralization of soft tissues.

last time we had a blood test and urine test for her, but we didnt reallly find her have impaired kidney function , or maybe the reason is she take too much calcium from the calf mana in this many years..?

Is it possible your vet was referring to "arthritis" by "calcification"? Arthritis could make her movements more painful. Maybe that's why she recommended the metacam.

I have a 5 year old guinea pig with arthritis in his knees and the vet put him on metacam. But I don't give it to him unless he looks uncomfortable. Most days he is fine, but it helps him when he hurts.

You are to be commended on the wonderful job you are doing for your baby!!!!!:clap1:

actually , this word is translated by google, but, arthritis if in chinese is different with calcification,i don't think it's the word she said, by the way, the coming Tueday will have a re-visit to the vet, i will ask her which word

after the anesthesia for Xray, my chin was still tired and sleepy yesterday,
but this morning, she is very good, is willing to eat a little pellets, and hay, but not enough, will keep going to feed her critial care hope she can increase more weight, which my vet advice her to increase some weight

Just a FYI, manna does not have any more calcium in it than regular chinchilla pellets, its a protein supplement.

Any update on your girl? What is her name? I hope she is recovering well!

HI, she called Mai Mai
She is very good these days, her weight is now around 533~535, slowly decreasing the hand feeding of critial care, and tomorrow is the date to re-visit vet for injection.

Congratulations on Mai Mai's feeling better. I hope she continues to improve.

Confirmed from the vet, it is called "soft tissue calcification"

she said Mai Mai is good, and have the 2nd injection of Cartophen, we will have the injection of Cartophen at home in the coming 2 weeks.

That is great news, glad she is doing well :)). I will have to look up the treatment Mai Mai is having, I have never heard of that. Good to learn something new!

That is great news, glad she is doing well :)). I will have to look up the treatment Mai Mai is having, I have never heard of that. Good to learn something new!

Thanks very much, if you have any news on this, please update to me ^^

Latest posts

Back