chins is bloated, need help **** urgent

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
today i had a self-ijection fro Mai Mai, the vet teach last week
it was very hard to do it, since Mai Mai always struggle a lot
finally i did it, hope she won't feel angry to me

She may be angry for a little while but you will be forgiven eventually :)). How is she doing?

She is very active recently.
but Mai Mai didnt eat lot of hay, this bag of hay is new, but she seems not like this, that is Oxbow TIMOTHY. She eat more pellets instead of hay, this is not very good for her. Since i tried to reduce the pellets, she didnt eat more hay.

Good to hear that Mai Mai is doing better.
What kind of injection do you have to give her?
She'll hate you at first, but she'll get used to it eventually.
Sometimes I sprinkle oats or hay on the pellets, maybe you can try that to get Mai Mai to eat the pellets.
My chinchillas are picky; sometimes they know if the pellets are old & stale, they won't eat it.

Good to hear that Mai Mai is doing better.
What kind of injection do you have to give her?
She'll hate you at first, but she'll get used to it eventually.
Sometimes I sprinkle oats or hay on the pellets, maybe you can try that to get Mai Mai to eat the pellets.
My chinchillas are picky; sometimes they know if the pellets are old & stale, they won't eat it.

we had Cartophen injection for her, vet said Mai Mai has "soft tissue calcification".
Mai Mai finished the pellets i gave her everyday and seems want to have more, i gave her around 1 tables spoon of masuri each day. she eats less hay but more pellets. few months ago, sometimes she like the hay i bought, she will eat more, and gain much weight.
i tried to sprinkle some natural herbs (http://www.rosewoodpet.com/catalogue/range.aspx?gid=29034&pg=k44wqO1sjsc+JPNiZ9p45A==) on the hay, but she will eat the herbs but not with the hay:hair:

Let her have as many pellets as she will eat. If she finishes it put more in the bowl. If you are worried about waste, you can figure out how much she eats if you weigh the bowl when you fill it and then weigh it again the next time you feed her and see what the difference is. Then put a little more than that the next time and see how she eats that. I free feed, they don't over eat, they just eat what they want.

Try putting the hay inside an empty toilet paper roll or something that might interest her. Put different amounts around the cage and see if there is a spot she likes to eat it from better...chins are odd.

Also, I found information about the drug Carprofen (Rimadyl) being used as an anti-inflammatory during surgery safely on chinchillas. I also found a drug called Cartrophen (which I think is the one you are referring to) which is for arthritis treatment, it lubricates joints, but I found it only in reference to cats, dogs, and horses...maybe it is new to being used for chinchillas?

Also, I found information about the drug Carprofen (Rimadyl) being used as an anti-inflammatory during surgery safely on chinchillas. I also found a drug called Cartrophen (which I think is the one you are referring to) which is for arthritis treatment, it lubricates joints, but I found it only in reference to cats, dogs, and horses...maybe it is new to being used for chinchillas?

should be the one use for lubricates joints, last time the vet is quite busy , and cannot ask for many questions, but will try to ask in the coming re-visit, will be at the end of this month.

actually Mai Mai can eat more then 1 tables spoon of pellets. i dont afraid she waste the pellets, but she just waste many hays :wacko:

i really want her to eat more hay, she gain more weight

Some chins just prefer pellets. I would not worry about it as long as she is eating. The pellets are made of hay. The big difference is that they hay will help keep her teeth in good shape. It wears them down.

news:

today we went to re-visit vet, vet said Mai Mai status is good, she is active, pees and poops are normal, can maintain her weight
in the coming 2 months, we will have the injection at home again, for total 4 injections. The metacam can be reduce to 4mL/day, and keep to see if she then become not active or maybe can see she is painfull, then the metacam need to be take 4mL/ twice a day.

news:

today we went to re-visit vet, vet said Mai Mai status is good, she is active, pees and poops are normal, can maintain her weight
in the coming 2 months, we will have the injection at home again, for total 4 injections. The metacam can be reduce to 4mL/day, and keep to see if she then become not active or maybe can see she is painfull, then the metacam need to be take 4mL/ twice a day.

Yay!!!!
Good to hear that through your perseverance Mai Mai is doing a lot better!
Does Mai Mai have to go for injections all the time or only the 4 times?

Yay!!!!
Good to hear that through your perseverance Mai Mai is doing a lot better!
Does Mai Mai have to go for injections all the time or only the 4 times?
vet decided to have 4 times in the coming 2 months, after that, Mai Mai will still have to re-visit vet again. maybe after that she won't need to have injection so much

1st 4 injection in 1 month ( 1 injection/week )
2nd 4 injection in 2 months ( 1 injection/2 weeks )

i am busy on work, haven't update for long time

Mai Mai still need to take the injection for every 2 weeks (for the problem of soft tissue calcification)

About her weight
before she got bloated the highest is 645g Oct/09
she got bloated the lowest 516g
two weeks ago 570g
this week 590g

two of her photos~were taken few months ago

Attachments

• DSC01096S.jpg
    DSC01096S.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC01098S.jpg
    DSC01098S.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Oh, she is precious! Her weight is awesome, Good job keeping her up there!! You have done an awesome job caring for her, ricerice :D

haha I love those pictures...she fell asleep with the cage bar in her mouth!! I read through this thread when you first posted it but never wrote anything because I didn't have any advice but I am so happy that you are taking such good care of Mai Mai. You really are an awesome chin parent!!

I hope her calcifications don't give her too much trouble in the future and of course keep us updated we all love to hear from you. And pictures are good too, because they're extremely cute!!!!!

thanks all of you~~~

Mai Mai say hi to all~~~
few days ago

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 26
Glad to hear she is doing better!
Mai Mai is adorable! Love sleepy pictures!

Latest posts

Back