Chinnies are a lot heavier than they appear

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessica

You would think just by looking at a chinnie they are all fluff and air especially the way they seem to move with agility and speed. Don't be fooled into thinking that a couple of hundred grams is nothing. Take my little guy for example, he's just a little over 600 grams that's roughly a little over pound. Doesn't sound like much really until you have to adjust a wood ledge in his cage and he decides to perch on the fingers that are holding up the ledge while you are working the twisty things on the outside. After awhile that 600 gram ball of fluff and air seems to feel like 5 pounds of beef. Next time he'll be camping out in the carrier while I mess with anything in his cage. Fluff and air nothing he felt like a fatso! Here's a pic of his furriness just because he's also very cute.

Attachments

• marb2.jpg
    marb2.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Thanks he's a happy chinnie and really loves attention. I like their front paws because of how they tuck them into their fur and how they use them like little hands. Mine actually reaches through the bars with his and bats at treats you hold just out of his reach.

I know exactly what you mean. The chins seem to enjoy jumping right on the ledge or shelf I am installing and it gets very heavy... not to mention your arms are stretched as far as they can go, in the cage to hold the shelf, and on the outside of the cage to attach the washers and wingnuts without dropping them!

I know exactly what you mean. The chins seem to enjoy jumping right on the ledge or shelf I am installing and it gets very heavy... not to mention your arms are stretched as far as they can go, in the cage to hold the shelf, and on the outside of the cage to attach the washers and wingnuts without dropping them!

Very true. I tell them "Do you want this ledge or not?" I know they think "I'll get that ledge no matter what." And they are right.

Cleaning up the insides of the cages can be hard because chins will jump on my arms and I HAVE to play with them. It makes it take forever. LOL

So glad that I am not the only one who has this problem!! I actually have to let a few of my guys out almost every night while I clean up their cages. My one chin keeps jumping on my shoulder so I have NO choice. If i just restocked & straightened their cages, gave a few scritches, I could be done with all 7 in less than 30 minutes (cause 1 group is upstairs & 1 group is down). But it usually takes me about 1 hour a nite cause of the PITA's upstairs! Then when I see how happy they are for the few minutes of freedom, it's all worth the exhaustion.

Yikes! Learned my lesson on this one as I was trying to reposition a flagstone ledge, Pepper jumped right on top of it and I thought my wrist popped and he literally flew off as I yelped, oh boy!

Yep. Mine's about 680 and it def. makes rearranging the cage interesting, esp. when I'm already fighting gravity for a long shelf and he hops on the unattached end opposite where I'm working. He's a smart little guy, but I'm not sure he'll understand the concepts behind lever physics. :D

Of course Diesel my fatty chin had to help me with all the shelf placement in his cage. That was interesting. It doesn't help that he's all over my hands anytime I try to do something in his cage! He's such a chunk that I can barely get anything done with him in my way!

My one boy Oscar runs around the ledge in the chin room and then on his route back down to the floor he always has to jump on my chest before he hits the floor and he is a lot heavier than he looks when he does this. I literally have to brace myself when I see him about to make the chest jump. He's my only chin that does that. :impatient:

Marble also has a habit of launching himself on to me while he's out playing and I also have to brace for it. No wonder he sounds like an elephant in his cage at night. I must feel like a nice cushy pillow compared to the shelves in his cage though.

Oh yeah...you're putting up a ledge and the chin BAM lands on it and makes you throw everything all over. Oh yes, that happens all the time. It isn't at all fun to have to drop everything and go find the washer!

Especially when she finds it first and hides it on you..Herby does that ALL the time to me, then she just sits there with that "I am so cute, you can't get mad at me" look. :)

Latest posts

Back