Bulk hanger bolts?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamiJami

The Lowes near me doesn't carry the hanger bolts without the toll spacing. The Home Depot here only carries a few packs of the 1/4 20's at a time. One hardware store said "Hanger what?" and another doesn't carry them. So I've been looking online and all I'm finding is the bolts with the tool spacing. Does anyone know a site, or person, that sells hanger bolts in bulk? Please???

Have you tried Fastenal? I have a local one that specially orders them for me and I buy 250 or 500 at a time at a VERY discounted rate. They don't get them specifically through the Fastenal website, but there's some bolt company that carries them that they can get them cheaper.

I don't have a Fastenal near me. No clue what it is. I know someone sold them in bulk from the forum. I just can't remember who.

I'll have to pass on that. Too large for my stuff. I use 1/4" x 2" or 1/4" by 1.75" if I can find them.

Do you have a Menards? I dont know how many your looking for but I believe you can get them in packs of 25 or 50 maybe. I Cant remember the last time I bought some.

I never found them at Menards, or if I did they only had them in the single packs. Someone posted a website at some point that had them for pretty cheap...I wish I had bookmarked it!

Honestly, after using hanger bolts for 2 years to do my shelves. I'm switching to Meanie's way. Shoot her a PM, I forget how exactly she does it, but it sounds much easier and less painful on the fingers.

I have also switched from using hanger bolts and wing nuts. It was too expensive and I got tired of catching myself on them since they protruded from the sides of the cage. I now just use lag screws and washers. You just need a drill or a hand ratchet. Both are incredibly easy. While my drill was charging I put together this cage tonight in less than an hour using a hand ratchet. Also you can buy both the washers and lag screws in bulk. I bought a box of 100 today for $12 (each box).

IMG_1836.jpg

Here is a close up picture of what it looks like with the lag screw and washers.

IMG_1837.jpg

Last edited:
Crysta, if you use the lag screws and washer, aren't the shelves permanent? You'd have to unscrew them out of the shelf to move it, right?

You just need to use a hand rachet to loosen the screw and you can remove the shelf without removing the screw completely. Once the washers are loosened you can easily remove the shelf.

I have also switched from using hanger bolts and wing nuts. It was too expensive and I got tired of catching myself on them since they protruded from the sides of the cage. I now just use lag screws and washers. You just need a drill or a hand ratchet. Both are incredibly easy. While my drill was charging I put together this cage tonight in less than an hour using a hand ratchet. Also you can buy both the washers and lag screws in bulk. I bought a box of 100 today for $12 (each box).

IMG_1836.jpg

Here is a close up picture of what it looks like with the lag screw and washers.

IMG_1837.jpg

I loved that fabric Crysta. Where did you get it?

Thanks for this Crysta. I've got a nasty cut on my hand from a run-in with a hanger bolt on Zipper's cage. I think I'm going to use this. We're taking the center out of Ezio and Altair's cage this weekend and putting them back together. Yay for redecorating! And more shelves :D

I hate getting caught on hanger bolts.... And hardware cloth that isn't properly attached anymore due to redecorating cages...

Back