Breeding horror story

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My hubby is being so nice and will be hand feeding him every 2 hours while I am at work, we both are just in love with this little guy.
What a good husband. My thoughts and prayers are with you and the little guy.

Awww Chantel, I'm so sorry to hear about this...you and Pipsqueak are in my thoughts and prayers. Let's hope the little fella will surprise you and pull through **crosses fingers & toes**

I know that there are so many horrible things that breeders have to experience and I commend all of you here for having the strength to deal with it. There's no way I could ever be a breeder!

Hang in there and keep us posted...COME ON LITTLE PIPSQUEAK, BE STRONG!!!!

I am so sorry about this little guy. This story made me tear up. I am keeping you and Pipsqueak in my prayers! I will also pray that the larger kit will make it safely accross Rainbow Bridge.

Sorry for you and your husbands loss and heart ache. Give Momma a scritch for me, she is still a good girl, who knows what happened. Does Pipsqueak need pain meds?

I thought I would just pop in to tell you, my best friend had a Chin that was blind due to some trauma with a previous owner. He ended up living extra long and was totally healthy otherwise! I'm hoping Pipsqueak makes it out of the woods. He's really quite something to have made it this far. :)

Aww I am so sorry. Nature just seems so senseless sometimes that moms could do that. Hoping everything turns out for the best for Pipsqueak.

Chantel I'm sorry to hear about little Pipsqueak. I will say prayers for him. See if you can find a piece of green jade somewhere down there by you and put it in his cage. Green jade has healing powers--or so they say, and it never hurts to have everything in your arsenal you can have.
Love to you, Damian and Pipsqueak from Wisconsin!

So Pipsqueak is still hanging in there! I am shocked still every feeding. He is still wobbly, but that may be because he is blind, and so small and probably does have some sort of nerve or brain damage. Maybe it will be mild and he will be ok. He actually gained 3 grams over the weekend, so that is just great.

He urinates on himself- is this normal with a baby that mom does not clean? I have always had a mom to at least do that part, or the baby was old enough not to need it. I stimulate him and he is pooping and peeing- but seems to pee on himself. Is this normal, or does this mean he probably had brain damage?

Hugs Chantel, I hope he's still hanging in there. I had a violet baby that was wobbly from the start. Her Momma took awesome care of her and she grew up to be fine, even was weaned and living on her own. Debbie now owns her, but I couldn't have asked for a better chin-momma for her. She remained wobbly and did end up urinating on her fur so I had to switch her to fleece liners because wood chips got stuck in her fur.

Poor Pipsqueak seems to be getting worse :-( I am so sad, and I cry feeding him all night. I just know he won't make it. I (we) are feeding him every hour and he is not gaining anything. He seems to go back and forth from being able to move his back legs to not being able to. It is so heartbreaking.

Should I keep trying, and hope for the best. He is a week old now, and the same weight he was when he was born- 32 grams. He can't walk, but only wobble a bit to find a comfy place to sleep. He urinates on himself. But I just can't seem to give up- am I being selfish- should I have him put down? Give him pain meds? I just feel lost.

Not a choice I'd like to make, Chantel, but if you're feeling it's hopeless, do what's best for him. There's no way to be able to tell what's going on internally with this little guy, but not gaining is a clue. At least you know you tried your best! Sorry - - -

That's your decision Chantel, and it's a tough one. If you want my opinion, personally, I would let him go. If he can't walk, if he pees on himself, if he's gaining no weight, then for me it's a quality of life issue. He doesn't have any. If any one of the things had improved -- if he started gaining or if he could walk -- I would think differently. We try to change it, but sometimes nature has it right and it's just not meant to be.

I'm very sorry he is doing so poorly.

I'm sorry Chantel :( This is definitely a difficult decision you're faced with, but I agree with Peggy. I don't think you're being selfish...I think you are a very UNselfish person for everything you put into your chins!! You've done the best you can for little Pipsqueak and made him as comfortable as possible.

:cry4:

I'm really sorry you had to watch that and that it happened.

I have seen some of my animals that got really sick in the past and it hurts more then when they die cuz you can't do anything for them. (i mean really sick and didn't see until it was really late because you know how animals hide alot). I once had to watch my Dillion have a stroke (i think that's what is was) at 11 pm just after I got home from work and was so scared and didn't know what to do, how do you get a dog his size to the e-vet all alone. Thankfully, he came out of it quickly and was okay and it never happened again.

May I ask one question, when you said the mama turned on them, did you mean just like roll over and on them or actually turned on them and went after them?

Again, I'm sorry for your lose.

:cry4:

May I ask one question, when you said the mama turned on them, did you mean just like roll over and on them or actually turned on them and went after them?

Again, I'm sorry for your lose.

Thank you Jean. Mom actually attacked them. She is my first chinchilla- 7 or 8 years old and has had at least 12 litters for me. I recently moved all the chins to the new Chinroom (garage) and I think she was just freaked out about being in a new place, and killed them. I did not see it, but my husband said he saw her grab a baby by the neck and shake him. How horrible. The big one died soon, he is still hanging in there, but not getting any better.

He is still alive, I just don't know if I should keep torturing him? I don't think I can put him down either, he is still fighting. I hate this.

I have only seen a mom turn on her kits one other time, and I never saw it so I tried to pretent something else happened. Sometimes mom's will destroy the kits or ignore them if they don't think they will survive. Keeps the predators away I think. Nature sure can be cruel.

I am so sorry for you. i know this must be a hard time. We just lost a 4 week old hedgehog and i was in tears. the mother came to us as a rescue, having never been with a male before, and the virgin mary surprised us 2 weeks later with 3 babies, one she killed after a week and the other two who thrived until 4 weeks where the female just went downhill.

I know it's tough but you need to make the right decision for the baby and trust you are doing the right thing. if he's still fighting than I wouldn't give up on him yet you will know if he's going downhill.

I'm so sorry. I does sound like he has some deep neurological problems and like Peggy said, he's not having quality of life. If he were with me, I would take him to the vet and release him from his pain.

*hugs*

I'm sorry that you are going through this. I know it's rough times. Just stay strong and you know what is best for your chins. Sometimes doing what is best hurts us more than it hurts them...

Latest posts

Back