BREEDERS! I want your input!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What age, and for how long?

• Under 15 yrs old and breeding for under 1 yr

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Under 15 yrs old and breeding for 1 - 5 yrs

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Under 15 yrs old and breeding for 5+ yrs

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • 15 - 22 yrs old and breeding for under 1 yr

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • 15 - 22 yrs old and breeding for 1 - 5 yrs

• 15 - 22 yrs old and breeding for 5+ yrs

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • 23-30 yrs old and breeding for under 1 yr

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 23-30 yrs old and breeding for 1 - 5 yrs

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • 23-30 yrs old and breeding for 5+ yrs

• 30+ yrs old and breeding for under 1 yr

• 30+ yrs old and breeding for 1 - 5 yrs

• 30+ yrs old and breeding for 5+ yrs

Votes: 10 23.3%

• Total voters

Riven

Bad Chin
A discussion in another thread made me wonder... how many breeders started breeding in different age groups.

Please choose what age you started BREEDING, not owning, but breeding chins, and then if you've breed for less than one year, 1-5 years or 5+ years.

Thanks for helping!

why breeding for UNDER 5 + years - is that suppose to be 5 + years not 'under'
I am 65 and have been breeder for 16 years - since 1994

Yup that was my typo. It is supposed to read 5 + years, I'll see if I can have it changed so it's easier to understand. And I thought I was doing so good on typing today!

Started at 14 and have been breeding almost 8 years now.

Yup that was my typo. It is supposed to read 5 + years, I'll see if I can have it changed so it's easier to understand. And I thought I was doing so good on typing today!
I've fixed the poll.

WOW, I feel old.....the oldest category is 30 plus years....(I am 46) I started at 40 and have been breeding for six years......although only a litter or two a year. :)

I started with an accidental litter at 19, sophomore year of college. That was 12 years ago. My how time flies when you're having fun!

I've noticed most breeders who've been in it for more than a couple years will go through a boom then bust stage, then come back with a number they feel more comfortable managing. Mine was 75 in the house. I swore I would never again have that many animals without having a barn. lol.

I've kept to it - I have a barn now but like to stay below 50.

Anyone else notice that?

I started at 16 or 17... have been doing it for five years now (I put 1-5 instead of 5+ though, oops!). We have ~30 animals, we like that number and are sticking with it for now.

I was 19 when I started. It's been 5 years now and I still love it.

I selected 1-5 instead of 5+ since technically I will hit the 5 year mark in April.

Last edited:
I started breeding last spring. I'll keep my numbers really low due to keeping them in the house. The next house will have some sort of chin barn on the property. I'm 49 and age doesn't bother me. This fall I will be 50 and I'm enjoying every minute. And so is my hair stylist robbing me of all my money to keep the gray away. :laughitup:

Latest posts

Back