breeders.. how young?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bam.Bam

This question is for breeders who sell their kits.

What is the youngest age you let a kit go to their new home?

Is a new home to stressful for a 10 week old kit?

Not in my experience, younger chins do better than adults.

8-10 weeks depending on kit size and how well they do away from mom.

I don't see any appreciable difference between younger or older chins being rehomed. Sometimes the little ones freak out because they are used to having a cagemate and suddenly don't, sometimes the adults do.

I send them out at 10+ weeks.

Yeah, I do the same 10 to 12 weeks seems good. The younger ones seem a little more scared of a new environment...but by 10 weeks they are usually thrilled to have a new place! I like it when they are more curious than scared. :D (I just thought of three month old babies going into a new cage...and it made me smile...they're so awesome at that age!)

UK is generally wean at 8 weeks & new home at 12 weeks+

ok thanks for the replies. I just don't want to sound like a mean chin mommy to ask the breeder to take my new baby home at 10 weeks from the York show instead of her recommended 16 weeks :(.

She's leaving the decision up to me but I really do care about my chins/future chins and I don't want to sound greedy to take him home earlier and then have him become sick because he is so stressed out. He will be given plenty of time to adjust to his new home without me bothering him and all. I just think it's easier for both parties to have him delivered to the York show then having to wait an extra few weeks and then have to drive 9-10 hours round trip to pick him up on a schedule that is hard to allow it.

Do you think it would be easier for him if I bring another chin or 2 to the show so he has another carrier with chins in the car with him for the ride home so he's not 'alone'? It's only a 30-45 minute ride but anything that will help him, the better. any other recommendations would be wonderful. This will be my first very young chin.. my others were atleast 6 months old.

Thanks!

Your baby will be fine on the ride home by itself. In October, I purchased a baby from Kristy (starleomach). The baby was taken to the Oct show, then RR'd out to State College in a hole-carrier (effectively alone, but there were other chins), and then she had a 3 hr ride home by herself in my carrier. She was a little crabby for the first couple of days, but essentially, came around and was fine. Your baby will do just fine by himself.

I wean at 8 weeks, and depending on how they are doing they are allowed to go home by 9.

Back