Blue Cloud vs. Blue Sparkle

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sierrasmom97

Is there really a difference in the two (other than price) if you are not showing your chins?
Can you explain the benefits of choosing one over the other etc.
Thanks! :)

lol i cant! lol but i have heard they are both the best so i suppose either one you pick is good

I was just curious because sparkle is about half the price of cloud on Ryerson's site for a 50lb bag.

I think it really comes down to whichever you can find cheaper. I have read elsewhere on these forums that judges commonly don't like the sparkle on show chins. But you mentioned how it doesn't matter since you don't show your chins so I'd just go for price. I've personally found a distributor a little over an hour away from my house that will sell me 50lb of sparkle for $14 as opposed to having to ship blue cloud. Kinda seems like a no-brainer :hmm:

Sparkle is not used on show chins. It leaves a sparkle all over them and it doesn't do nearly as good a job as the BC, plus, the silica in the dust is sharp enough to cut and damage fur.

But, if you're not showing, sparkle works just fine and is quite a bit cheaper.

No, it doesn't really make a difference if you're not showing your chins, but I prefer Blue Cloud for my pet girls either way. Blue Sparkle has a sparkle to it, and I believe that sparkle is silica which can cut the fur (not noticeably like taking chunks out of fur I don't think, but in general I think it just is more rough on the fur).

oops me and Peggy posted at the same time...

I have found that the Blue Cloud is a lot "dustier" LOL no seriosly though I had a few asthma attacks when using the Blue Cloud-- I have allergies anyhow. But the Blue SParkle tends to be less dust flying in the air. I don't show chins so I can't tell you there but for a pet only person the Blue SParkle is great. I have had chins here that used nothing but Kaytee Dust and their fur looks so much better with the Blue Sparkle.

Blue Sparkle is my personal choice as I don't like the Blue Cloud-- it really gets cloudy in here with the Blue Cloud and I felt as if it were all over my house after using it too. I gave mine to the animal shelter.

Wasn't there a rumor that blue sparkle and kaytee dust are the same? Or was this proven not to be true?

I just know when I used the kaytee when I first got my first chin it didn't work well at all.

I have used both and have liked both. I use Blue Cloud now since I rescue and the chins I usually take in have really crappy coats. Since I don't show I actually miss the shimmery fur they get from Blue Sparkle (hey, I'm a girl!) but Blue Cloud really does work better for me.

Ok thanks! I called the local feed mill to see if they can get it for me rather than pay for shipping. I am waiting for a call back.

I am considering using Sparkle for the breeders, and Cloud for my show chins rather than all Cloud as I currently do. Nice to read that Sparkle is less dusty! When I tip in 20 dusters at the same time, boy does a "cloud" go up!! I turn on the exhaust fan and flee the room before I start sneezing, mask or no mask...

In my personal opinion,, dust is the whole point. I tried alot of different kinda of dust/sand and the finer the powder the better the fur. I found blue cloud about 6-8 months ago and since then my chins fur looks perfect and plushy, and feels like thick air. I wouldn't use anything else.

Blue Sparkle is fine to use especially if you aren't showing. But Blue Sparkle is even used on show chins. I have used blue sparkle On all my show chins and have yet to hear a single comment about it from the judges. Both My RGSC and all my section champs and reserve section champs in both standards and varoius mutations have all been dusted in nothing but blue sparkle .

The first time I used sparkle I didn't like that I would get sparkles on my face and they wouldn't come off but I can't see a difference on the chins. Some blue cloud I have got, I liked and sometimes not so much I think it depends how it was stored, if there was humidity maybe, I don't know it just seemed clumpy or not as fine sometimes.

Amsue - My daughter said the same thing. She can handle the BS much easier as it's not as dusty, but we still use the BC because it's so much nicer.

Luke - That's awesome that you do so well with the inferior dust. I wonder why JAGS, Ryerson's, etc. use the BC instead, when it's obviously twice as expensive? I was told by all the ranchers I've asked about it not to use BS for showing, as it just doesn't do as good a job and the judges always notice.

Peggy, Funny thing is Most of those ranchers you listed use both Blue sparkle and blue cloud. Many ranchers in the east also swear by a specific feed and pay more for it then they could get other types of feed for. Yet different ranchers will swear by another feed and tell you that you must use it to show well.
Why because they use what works for them. Doesn't mean its the only way to do it the do what works for them. A good example is the feed. Many are changing from the recommended feed in that area due to a number of people having issues with it.
Also check the average humidity in any of those ranchers area's . What they would consider to be exceptionally low humidity in their area ,would be considered high in my area.
If you also contact Randy and ask him about the qualities of the two . He has even posted That blue sparkle is a lot finer then it used to be.
So instead of attacking me why don't you post the research to back what you have posted as fact in this thread. such as ,blue sparkle cuts the fur ect.
Any research should also be peer reviewed and published in a scientific journal to be considered credible. But any research you have would go along way to support what you have posted as to be fact, rather then your personal opinion.

Last edited:
Peggy, Funny thing is Most of those ranchers you listed use both Blue sparkle and blue cloud. Many ranchers in the east also swear by a specific feed and pay more for it then they could get other types of feed for. Yet different ranchers will swear by another feed and tell you that you must use it to show well.
Why because they use what works for them. Doesn't mean its the only way to do it the do what works for them. A good example is the feed. Many are changing from the recommended feed in that area due to a number of people having issues with it.
Also check the average humidity in any of those ranchers area's . What they would consider to be exceptionally low humidity in their area ,would be considered high in my area.
If you also contact Randy and ask him about the qualities of the two . He has even posted That blue sparkle is a lot finer then it used to be.
So instead of attacking me why don't you post the research to back what you have posted as fact in this thread. such as ,blue sparkle cuts the fur ect.
Any research should also be peer reviewed and published in a scientific journal to be considered credible. But any research you have would go along way to support what you have posted as to be fact, rather then your personal opinion.

Okay - Luke...knock it off with your "post the research" and "scientific journal" BS. I'm sick to death of this crap. This is more or less a forum for sharing information - not a forum for reposting and critiquing journal articles. This has gone far enough. Darn near every single post you have posted on this forum has been the same ole crud about something to do with research or some off the wall journal article that doesn't even exist. Now if you want to stay here, I'd suggest you knock it off now.

Luke - they do use both. I never said they didn't. What I said was, they don't use it on their show animals. I didn't realize that required "research papers." All you have to do is ask.

I was told that straight from Ryerson's mouth. They use BS for their breeders and BC for their showers. Does that require a research paper? Geez - Do you wipe your butt without demanding a research paper?

Luke - Take some medication, seriously. A simple post is now an "attack." Get a life dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back