birth control-need opinions!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just remember, each woman and what they need hormonally, is different. And for that reason, no particular brand of pill is any better than the other simply because there are more favorable reviews for that particular brand/dose. Cyclic pills can be a god-send or the devil reincarnated. Depends on the woman/hormonal needs. In my case, cyclic pills were the devil! Same "rule" applies for any other type of hormonal BC (IUD, shots, implants, etc).

Depo made me gain 30 lbs in 30 days. Enough that I didn't go back for a 2nd shot. NEVER again! I'm 33 now, been on BC since I was...yes...13 yrs old. Doctor wanted to try to regulate my extremely heavy and painful cycles. It worked. Then as I aged, hormone levels changed, therefore the dose changed. I've been on no less than 10 different BC pills and currently not on any. Stupid insurance (non-maternity) thinks it's wise not to pay for BC. *rollseyes*

Anyway, point being, it does take around 3-4 months for your body to accept and regulate to the level of hormones that you're putting into it via BC. Taking anything less than that period of time would not be a true test of anything.

Good luck making a decision and I also applaud your efforts in research prior to therapy. :)

I highly doubt Luci will be able to find a doctor willing to give her an IUD. I have a friend who is 23 and she still has yet to find a doctor who is willing. They all say she is young and will most likey change her mind about children in the next few years blah blah blah.

I was 21 when I got mine, it's Mirena. The doctors at university health services put it in right on campus, actually (after getting all my medical files and stuff). I don't know what doctor told your friend this but it's absolute nonsense. It's removable and done simply so it's not a big deal.

As for the pill, I would suggest trying it. If you can handle gaining 5 pounds and a few blemishes for a couple months it's worth trying it. These side effects are temporary so I think trying it isn't very risky.

I have heard really negative things about Nuvaring - I was disappointed because I had thought about taking it...

The other thing is if you smoke you really need to quit or don't take bc...

i've been on loestrin 24 for almost two years now and i love it. i've never had terrible side effects, it's stopped all my terrible cramping and it only took me maybee a month to get used to it. the only thing is once in a blue moon i'll only get a spot as my period for like a split second which scared me the first time, but my doctor said its normal. loestrin's supposed to minimize your period as much as possible, which i've grown to love :dance3: i'd recommend it! however, everyone's body is different.

The reason my LPN/OB gave for not letting me think about an IUD is that if you haven't had children already, there's a greater risk for complications during and after implantation. Getting it into the uterus is apparently more difficult if the cervix has never dilated and makes it more painful. "Besides, you'll want children eventually" only came up with the OB/Osteopath. *grumble about people who think they know my mind better than me*

I've heard a lot of great things about Depo while women are on it, but the re-regulatory period as you come off can sometimes be very rough. A friend from college bled for 6 weeks straight and gained even more weight going off of it than she had while she was on it (to the tune of 5-8 lbs./month though she wasn't terribly active, which might have helped). There's also the calcium leaching that Melissa mentioned which can be a bigger problem depending on your family history of brittle bone disease, etc. However, it's pretty reliable as far as preventing pregnancy; it's really just a matter of figuring out what's best for *your* system.

Luci: if you have any close relatives on HBC, especially sisters or your mother and/or aunts, ask what they use(d). Your chemistry is more likely to be similar to theirs than anyone on here. :)

Luci an IUD can actually expel from your body without your knowing it, so you could think you were safe against pregnancy then become pregnant. It does happen--I worked in OB-Gyn for a few years. I was put on Seasonal after I refused a hysterectomy while Lisa was in the last few months of her life. I really like it--at first I did get a period every 3 months, but now as I'm older, I have had one at all since December--then again I've also had thermal ablation which you do not need or want as you are still young and will want to have children someday. I do agree that each woman is different. Sometimes you'll have to work with you OB-Gyn to see what will work best for you. Don't ever be afraid to tell them if you're on something you don't like.

And being the voice of reason and your friend and a former OB-Gyn receptionist I would just like to add, birth control does not prevent sexually transmitted disease or aids--only a condom can prevent those AND pregnancy. Just thought I would throw that one out there--I don't care what the guys say about them--I still remember this saying don't be a fool and cover your tool! Having a baby will most likely not kill you--AIDS can.

Tri cyclin and Marvelon made me moody as heck. Alesse wasn't toobad until the headaches started. I've been on nuvaring now for 3 years and haven't had a problem. It's very low dose but now that I'm losing weight I'll probably have to be switched to a higher dosage (less fat- less estrogen production).

Good luck. It may take a little trial and error and things may change depending on weight (as they did for me).

I highly doubt Luci will be able to find a doctor willing to give her an IUD. I have a friend who is 23 and she still has yet to find a doctor who is willing. They all say she is young and will most likey change her mind about children in the next few years blah blah blah.

I have had an IUD since I was 20 and I love it I am on my second one as they only last 5 years but I would never take a pill again for the rest of my life. When I decide I am ready to have kids my dr. will just remove it. Simple as that.

I have done pills, the patch and Nuva-ring. Pills are okay don't remember which ones I took now it has been a few years, my problem was just remembering to take them! The patch is HORRIBLE! It comes off, irritates your skin and when it does come off you are left with this gross sticky residue on your skin. The Nuva-ring, I love! I haven't had any problems with it and have used it for a few years now. I just like that you don't have to worry about taking it everyday. I have thought about an IUD but I am 30 and I am getting to the point where I would like to have children in the next few years

I tried the patch- had a horrible reaction to the adhesive they use on it and got horrible cramps. Then I was on Ortho Tri Cyclin LO and after about 3 months I think my body adjusted and it was ok. Worst thing for me was my boobs would get SO tender- that was never an issue before. But I just switched to Necon 7-7-7 (there's a lot of different versions of Necon) because apparently the company that was making the generic of the OTCLo isn't making it anymore. I couldn't see the sense in paying $45 a month for BC rather than $15 for the generic.

About the IUD comments- I am 24, have gone to 2 diff PCPs and 3 diff OBGYNs and have been told they would not do it. Main reason was because I have not had children and the complications that could result from that were not worth the risk, especially if my birth control I was currently using was working for me. Do I want kids eventually? Yes. But I know the age I want to start trying for kids, and right now since I'm not married anymore I also have the whole issue of waiting til I find another partner. But regardless of the fact I know I want to wait until I'm 28-29 to start trying they won't do it.

About the IUD comments- I am 24, have gone to 2 diff PCPs and 3 diff OBGYNs and have been told they would not do it. Main reason was because I have not had children and the complications that could result from that were not worth the risk, especially if my birth control I was currently using was working for me.

This seems to be the standard in the U.S.: birth control has been in use for 50 years, but we're still not allowed to make up our minds for ourselves based on *all* the information. If IUDs are okay for women under 30 in Canada and parts of Europe, why not in the U.S.?

With women who have not given birth it can be very difficult to insert. Also, there are quite a few documented cases of IUD's migrating and/or coming out. My SIL is a pharmacy tech and she is very anti IUD. I think it is a viable choice for some people, but they just need to find a doctor willing to do it. Just like some doctors won't do vasectomies on young guys, married men with a wife who is pregnant, not until infant is at least 6 months old etc...

Every doctor to a certain point should be able to practice what in their opinion is ethical. They are there to do a service, however, they shouldn't have to cross what could be considered a moral line for someone else. Especially since there are other doctors, and one is not forced to use a particular one. Just like there are doctors that refuse to do abortions, somethings come down to personal choice. Doctor shop - there are doctors out there that will perform sterilization on young women and will also insert IUD's.

About the IUD comments- I am 24, have gone to 2 diff PCPs and 3 diff OBGYNs and have been told they would not do it. Main reason was because I have not had children and the complications that could result from that were not worth the risk, especially if my birth control I was currently using was working for me. Do I want kids eventually? Yes. But I know the age I want to start trying for kids, and right now since I'm not married anymore I also have the whole issue of waiting til I find another partner. But regardless of the fact I know I want to wait until I'm 28-29 to start trying they won't do it.

I get so frustrated by doctors that don't stay current on medical practice. Mirena is perfectly safe for women who haven't had children. The IUDs they used in the 60's and 70's had a large risk of infertility, so they recommended them for use only in women who had children. That is NOT the case for new IUDs. So sad and scary that you found FIVE doctors who weren't up-to-date in their knowledge.

Back