Best way to educate ....

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If they are not willing to learn, there is not a whole lot you can do. If you push them too much, you may push them away. Be there if they need help, and show by example. Maybe they will come around.

One thing I don't understand though is how my friend can be NOT addicted to those little balls of fur :D She just basically looks at me like I'm crazy or annoying or something whenever I mention chinchillas :p She has chins of her own but it's really her dad that wanted them so I just wanted to point out what she is doing wrong (or her dad) but I don't like talking to my friends' parents since it's kinda awkward to just go up to them and tell them what they're doing wrong and it's kind of rude too but yeah.. She hasn't visited so I can't show her what I'm doing :/

Jessie, I have the same problem with someone I know. Unfortunately, some people aren't going to listen at all.

Have you ever thought of giving them some safe alternatives to toys and whatnot? That's only if you have the money or extra toys to do it though.

Like other said, just gently educate, otherwise you'll push her away. You can always try bringing things up randomly, and try to make it sound like you're not obsessed or anything. But some people just think that they're doing it right and don't want to listen, no matter what you do.

If they are her dad's chinchillas, then why does she HAVE to be interested? I would talk to the dad. Put your awkwardness aside and start off with some general chinnie chat, you know, friendly stuff. You can always make suggestions in the form of enthusiastic chin gab. You may find him quite receptive! If not, at least you tried.....

Don't go up to the dad and say hey you're doing this wrong. Go with the I belong to this forum online and just learned that...

And suggest the forum to him.

If they're not her pets she has no reason to be interested. Lots of people ( sorry to have to throw you in this group ) especially children want something new, but then gets disinterested after a while. I have 100 chins, my kids will help me feed, and if I had to be gone and needed them to, I know it would get done, but they are not their chins, so I don't expect them to care for them or be interested. If they were her personal pets, then it would be a different story. Good luck.

If someone is not interested in changing or learning simply put they will not. All you can do is provide information and hope. You can't make someone do something

Just bring up things gently when you talk to them, try to keep it to one correction per visit. Point out what their chi does that is adorable, etc, be excited to see their chins, and ask questions.

"Kill them with kindness" as Ma used to say. Even if you have to think of it as an acting job to be nice. And do, if you have a change, give toys or treats to them for the chins, so they can see what they like, etc.

"There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Just saw this quote over on our board in someone's signature, and thought it applies to this discussion quite well.

Back