Best Cat Food

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Essentia

Jax Chinchilla Rescue
I am wanting to switch my cat over to something much healthier than she is currently on. Luckily she isn't picky. Price isn't as option as I really do want her to have the best. She is 5yrs. old, good health, not overweight. I would have been feeding her better food previously, but I was feeding my roommates two cats then and I couldn't afford the better brands. Now she is on her own, so the time has come to look into something better. I was thinking of these two options:

Innova Evo Cat & Kitten

Guaranteed Analysis %:
Crude Protein (min) 50.5
Crude Fat (min) 22.2
Moisture (max) 7.5
Crude Fiber (max) 0.81

Ingredients:
Turkey, Chicken Meal, Chicken, Herring Meal, Chicken Fat, Potatoes, Egg, Turkey Meal, Natural Flavors, Vitamins, Apples, Potassium Chloride, Carrots, Cranberries, Alfalfa Sprouts, Minerals, Tomatoes, Herring Oil, Cottage Cheese, Ascorbic Acid, Dried Chicory Root Extract, Direct-Fed Microbials, Vitamin E Supplement, Taurin, DL-Methionine, Lecithin, Rosemary Extract

Wellness Core

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein Not Less Than 50.0%
Crude Fat Not Less Than 18.0%
Crude Fiber Not More Than 3.0%
Moisture Not More Than 11.0%
Calcium Not More Than 1.8%
Phosphorus Not More Than 1.45%
Magnesium Not More Than 0.10%
Vitamin E Not Less Than 400 IU/kg
Taurine Not Less Than 0.3%
Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C)* Not Less Than 200 mg/kg
Omega 6 Fatty Acid* Not Less Than 3.50 %
Omega 3 Fatty Acid* Not Less Than 0.80 %
Total Micro-Organisms* Not Less Than 90,000,000 CFU/lb

Ingredients:
Deboned Turkey, Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whitefish Meal, Potatoes, Salmon Meal, Natural Chicken Flavor. Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a natural source of Vitamin E), Tomato Pomace, Cranberries, Chicory Root Extract, Salmon Oil, Flaxseed, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement), Choline Chloride, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Kelp, Taurine, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Rosemary Extract.

What are your thoughts? I am not opposed to branching outside of these two options, so if you have others you think are better, please speak up!

Funny you should write such a post. Last night when I went to get my cat and kitten food, before I bought it I actually looked at the ingredients [never did with my cats before, but the dogs i always did] and I saw that they were horrible foods. So when I came home I was searching the web for a good feed for them, and reading some articles about cat foods. I hadn't come up with a food yet that i wanted to get, but i like the sounds of the two you mentioned.

There's more meat products listed in those two than other ones I have looked at. And I know they say to stay away from "meal".. but it's better than by-products, and they also don't have all that other garbage in them that alot of foods do..I'm keeping the names of those two for my cats..

Meal isn't actually all that bad from what I have read. It's just the meat that has been cooked, and the fat and such skimmed off. When it says just the meat that's what you are getting, the raw meat.

Both of these foods are fairly pricey, but since I only have the one cat I don't mind so much. The Innova Evo is $40.99 for 15 lbs and the Wellness Core is $33.49 for 12 lbs. There may be cheaper out there, that just happened to be the cheapest I saw online.

Meal isn't actually all that bad from what I have read. It's just the meat that has been cooked, and the fat and such skimmed off. When it says just the meat that's what you are getting, the raw meat.

Both of these foods are fairly pricey, but since I only have the one cat I don't mind so much. The Innova Evo is $40.99 for 15 lbs and the Wellness Core is $33.49 for 12 lbs. There may be cheaper out there, that just happened to be the cheapest I saw online.

Do you have Costco where you are? If so, check out their maintenance. It has really great ingredients (all meat) and is really affordable. I also like the Evo as well, and use that canned food.

Taste of the Wild is what I've been feeding my foster kittens and I'm really impressed with it. The female hasn't tolerated it very well, but the male actually feels like a chinchilla his fur is so soft and plush. He's also gained weight *very well* (they were malnourished and underfed when I picked them up). I get it at Tractor Supply for about $10/5 lb bag. I don't consider $2.00/pound too much for food, and a bag that size lasts me about 3 weeks free-feeding 2 growing kittens.

Crude Protein-- 42%
Crude Fat-- 18%
Crude Fiber-- 3%
Moisture-- 10%

Chicken meal, peas, sweet potatoes, chicken fat, potato protein, roasted venison, smocked salmon, natural flavor, ocean fish meal, methionine, taurine, choline chloride, dried chickory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried fermentation products of Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus acidolphilus, Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus plantarum, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatrum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, miacin, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin A supplement, biotin, potassium iodide, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin B12 supplement, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Thanks. :) Checking into that one too. Anyone have any opinions on Nature's Variety raw medallions? I wouldn't be feeding a total raw diet, but using it to supplement.

Thanks. :) Checking into that one too. Anyone have any opinions on Nature's Variety raw medallions? I wouldn't be feeding a total raw diet, but using it to supplement.

I looked it up, it doesn't sound too bad.

Ingredients:
Chicken, Ground Chicken Bone, Turkey, Turkey Liver, Turkey Hearts, Apples, Carrots, Butternut Squash, Ground Flaxseeds, Chicken Eggs, Montmorillonite Clay, Broccoli, Lettuce, Spinach, Kelp, Salmon Oil, Apple Cider Vinegar, Parsley, Honey, Blueberries, Alfalfa Sprouts, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Persimmons, Olive Oil, Duck Eggs, Pheasant Eggs, Quail Eggs, Inulin, Rosemary Extract, Sage, Clove, Mixed Tocopherols, Citric Acid

Guaranteed Analysis %:
Moisture (max) 68
Crude Protein (min) 13
Crude Fat (min) 6
Crude Fiber (max) 2

While I dont like the ground chicken bone, the 1st five ingred are meat which is good, no corn or wheat, instead it has flaxseed which is better.

oops sorry, i thought the first post i wrote didn't go threw so i rewrote it and then sawit... ignore this one.

Hmmm. It got so, so reviews. Some people said they really liked it while others said it made their cats sick. Too bad they don't sell it in a tiny bag to try.

Yep, everyone has different things they look for in foods. For me, cats are carnivores, so I run away from foods that are fruit/veggie heavy. The Taste of the Wild one mentioned in this thread is a good example. Two of the top 3 ingredients are vegetables, and it has all sorts of fruits listed. That isn't nutritionally beneficial for a carnivore. However, like people, all cats are different and you have to use what works best for your cat. I like the Costco one because it doesn't have fruits and vegetables.

I tried Evo dry.

There are some cats that can't eat it. The one I fostered did great until I transitioned to 75% then crashed with horrible diarrhea and smelly wet farts (very gross) and terrible breath.

This happened twice over a four month introductory period and after reading some more I've discovered it is common. Some cats can't take a rich diet.

On 50% he looked great, ate less and was so much more active.

The downside is after the second episode he associated both foods with not feeling well and refused to eat either of them, making it a point to bury the bowl frequently, cry and puke afterwards.

After that I cold switched to Friskies. he wasn't as active and his coat didn't stay as nice but he discontinued having the above health issues.

Since I've still got 1/2 of a bag I'm trying it on the new kitten that got dumped here. We'll see how that goes.

Actually meal is not just cooked meat. It can be all parts of the animal, say for a chicken it can be all parts except feathers, beaks, entrails ( basically digestive tract) or heads. Which means it includes things like skin, bone, cartilage, etc. You probably really don't want me to get into the fact of where meal comes from either. I tend to stay away from it, especially beef meal.

Anyway. I feed CSFTPLS, it does have chicken meal in it. It is pH balanced to help prevent urine crystals, and over all if pretty good. My cats do very well on it.

Ingredients:
Chicken, chicken meal, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), ocean fish meal, white rice, potatoes, oatmeal, millet, natural chicken flavor, salmon, turkey, duck, flaxseed, sodium bisulfate, egg product, methionine, potassium chloride, choline chloride, dried chicory root, taurine, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, L-carnitine, dried fermentation products of Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus plantarum, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, zinc proteinate, vitamin E supplement, niacin, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin A supplement, biotin, potassium iodide, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Just watch for foods high in protein, high protein causes crystals in cats. Especially males, they have a smaller tract so they cannot pass them very easily.

I used to use the Nature's Variety raw medallions and my cat was mental for them. I've had to switch only because I can't get them here anymore! Of the 2 brands you've posted I would go with the Evo, or else get the Nature's Variety Instinct Rabbit Formula (dry food)

On the subject of "meal":

From the FDA website, as classified in the AAFCO manual:

""meat meal" is "the rendered product from mammal tissues, exclusive of any added blood, hair, horn, hide trimmings, manure, stomach and rumen contents." Thus, in addition to the processing, it could also contain parts of animals one would not think of as "meat." Meat meal may not be very pleasing to think about eating yourself, even though it can contain more minerals than meat. However, animals do not share in people's aesthetic concerns about the source and composition of their food."

Back