Back Pain - Any remedies?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

threewingedfury

<3 BIG and Blocky <3
I've been suffering with severe back pain for years. I was diagnosed with spinal stenosis and bulging discs a few years ago and the pain has gotten much worse as time goes by. Back problems run in my family, I guess I just lucked up, eh? I asked the orthopedist if I was eligible for surgery, and he pretty much laughed, told me my back would get better and that I could learn to live with it and take tylenol if I felt any pain. My PCP was in awe, as she mentioned that I had severe problems with my back and that I should be eligible for some sort of treatment under my insurance. Around the time we had approval for anything, I lost my insurance, as well as my job. Now my lower back pain is spreading up my spine and into my shoulders. Sometimes I feel sharp pains going down into my hips and legs. I'm having problems sitting up over 15 minutes while I'm sewing and it's just really starting to make me angry. I can't stand having to take a break to lay down for a few minutes. I'm not the type of person to give up on anything, and I can't stand being still for too long. I don't like taking any type of medications and since I no longer have health insurance, anything doctor/medication-related is out of the question. Do any of you suffer from back pain, and do you have any remedies?

My husband has a bad back and his chiropractor recommended buying one of those things that you lay on and it hangs you upside down... He told my husband that it would help. If it works, not sure because we don't have the money to buy one but I knew someone who had one when I was younger and they LOVED it...

InversionTable.jpg

Are you talking about Inversion Therapy?

I had thought about it, but I'm so afraid that I'll end up with headaches lol.

They have braced made to help treat this, I would look into them. It might be a larger cost, but it would be a one time thing.

Did you go to a chiropractor? I would go there instead. A good one is amazing, look for one with good referrals. I love mine!

I recommend acupuncture. Who can do it depends on state laws. It costs money, but is not too expensive usually and may help right away.

I would not recommend traction without a doctors recommendation. A chiropractor is a doctor...

I've had acupuncture done twice and couldn't feel any benefit. $300 for the two sessions was a waste and I gave up, couldn't afford to keep forking out money for something that I felt no difference from. The only chiropractor in town that I could get into wouldn't allow payment plans, which I'd have to have. I can't afford $200 a visit twice a week.

I know the coasts tend to be higher, but I think you're just getting screwed.

Acupuncture can take up to ten sessions before you see good effects. And if it's not a good acupuncturist then it's pointless because if you don't hit the right spots it doesn't work. In some places they use acupuncture instead of chemical anesthesia's for surgery and child birth.

Here a chiro visit runs $38 or so, and acu $35 I believe.

i'm sorry you're in such pain. i frequently have a sore lower back but worse are the kinks in my neck. i've never had it treated except for chiropractic work (which made it worse) but they recommended alternating heating pads and cold packs. that gives me a little relief, although my problems are not as severe as yours.

it might be expensive for a consulation, but did your ortho doc mention going to see a neurologist? a neurologist might do an epidural steriod injection. those can often bring relief to patients not eligible for surgery. or perhaps you can find a physical therapist that will work on a sliding scale?

My husband has back pain, and was referred to physical therapy. He does some pretty simple stretches each night--sitting with his back/butt straight against a wall, legs together, pointing his toes to the ceiling; touching his toes with a hand towel rolled up and placed in between his knees (both with his toes raised an inch or two off the floor and his heel off the floor, using a book)...things like that. He said it's helped as he is overweight and his muscles are very tight.

Kate, if the chiro made you feel worse, you need to find a different one. They shouldn't make you feel worse. Many people don't go back because of it, or just figure that's how it is.

I can only go to one, Sam. Even his associate can't do me, I feel sore if Dr. Ty works on me even if Sam does my acu, but never if Sam adjusts me. It's not easy to find a good one, but it's SOOOOOO worth it. I have imbalanced hips, and after a couple months I can tell a huge difference, I go back in for a couple times and it's wonderful. I have more energy and feel great, and I'm less cranky too!

ETA: If it is acquired ( the form commonly associated with osteoarthritis ) opposed to an injury or spur type, then maybe a chondrition or other joint supplement would help as well as other techniques used for normal arthritis. They are generally safe, relatively cheap, and should hopefully see results in a couple weeks to a month. Also if you're not watch your vitamin and mineral intake, even a multivitamin twice a week to just fill in any missing vitamins or minerals can make a huge difference, I know because it's the only thing that makes my knee better, hundreds of dollars after the orthopedic told me there was "nothing wrong with it"... therefore the pain must just be in head or what?!

Last edited:
I seem to have bad luck when it comes to doctors - they rob me blind.

I found a few clinics about an hour away that were around $80 a session for acupuncture, but after the first two sessions I paid for elsewhere, I just lost hope because it cost me so darn much.

The chiropractors here are just so costly because I live in a smaller town, I guess. One of the docs I talked to specialized in sports medicine and wouldn't accept me unless I had an injury - go figure - he was very reasonable with his costs also.

The orthopedist didn't suggest anything. I asked for cortisone shots, anything, I was just hurting. He told me that at such a young age that I should just live with it and it would get better. I mentioned how when I was in classes I had to pretty much lay at a 45 degree angle in my seat so that my back wouldn't bother me. He told me to bring a pillow to class. The horrible part is, from my research on spinal stenosis, it doesn't show up normally until you're in your late 50s or 60s. I was diagnosed at 19, how is it supposed to get any better?

^ There are no clinics in my county :( But thanks anyway. I don't want any type of a prescription though, I don't swallow pills well, nor will I take any type of controlled substance. I would like to see someone who specializes in this area though, as clinics wouldn't have a clue of what to do most likely. I may just have to search for a chiropractor out of town.

My grandmother suggested I could take glucosamine, condroitin and MSM. Her rheumatologist suggested those for her joint pains and she figured it could possibly help my back. My problem is, I can't swallow pills. I know it's all in my head, but it just comes right back up. It's been that way since I was a child.

Last edited:
You should be able to get all of those in a liquid or a shake type deal! My grandpa has some bone and joint shake thing, and you can get them in a powder that you could mix in with your own mix of smoothie or shake or whatever. Those three tend to take a bit to make a difference so if you take them, make sure you give it at least two weeks!

Have you gotten a second opinion? I would! You might get a different diagnosis. Usually I believe that spinal stenosis is supposed to feel better when you sit, worse when you walk, also feel better when you learn forward, worse back, but it sounds like yours is the opposite.

Age or no age.. you're in pain.

I would go see another orthopedist then, a neurosurgeon, or a neurologist. All of the specialty docs are expensive, but worth it if you don't have to live in pain. If you already have x-rays, request a copy of your x-rays (or better a CT scan or MRI) and call neurologists to see if you can get in for a consultation without a referral. If they require a referral they might accept one from the chiropractor.

You're right, I should try searching for a powder form.

I have not gotten a second opinion. I had an MRI done and the radiologist listed in the report that I had spinal stenosis from L1-L5 and minimal bulging discs from L2-L5. And you're right, when I sit, it kills me. I can't sit straight. My car seat is tilted wayyyy back and I've been pulled over a few times because of it. I guess they think I'm a homie-g thug lol. When I lean forward and it hurts, lean back and it's fine.

^ I had X-Rays done and nothing showed up. I still have the results of my MRI on hand because I'm trying to exempt out of one of my PE requirements for my degree because I can not perform as any other person would with the pain in my back.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, she isn't eligible for medicaid. You have to either have children under the age of 18, or be on disability. Even then, if you are eligible, your assets cannot exceed $5,000 (not counting your home).

When my back acts up, I lay face down on the couch, with pillows under my chest, and my forehead on the arm. Usually I fall asleep, and the next morning - no more pain!
Cheap and effective for me!
Also a Chriropractor once told me to put my left ankle on my right knee, while sitting straight in a chair, and push down on the knee until parrallel with the floor, [or the opposite for the right side] to loosen those tight back muscles! Also works!

Back