Anyone with pets of any kind MUST read!!!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Section 3(f) states: Animals Owned Lawfully Prior to Prohibition of Importation- This Act and regulations issued under this Act shall not interfere with the ability of any person to possess an individual animal of any species if such individual animal was legally owned by the person before the risk assessment is begun pursuant to subsection (e)(3), even if such species is later prohibited from being imported under the regulations issued under this Act.

Im still confused.. so what will this mean for the breeding community? Will breeders get to carry on or will everyone have to shut down even if they were established before the bill were to be passed? Im assuming nothing negative with chinchillas, etc as they are already here.

What people of the animal community would this affect? Or as spoof said this will only affect people wanting to buy something that hasnt already been established in the US?

Last edited:
Are you asking about strictly importation or about breeding of the previously imported, and if this HR passes, now illegal to import species?

If it's the latter of the two, section 6, subsection a - 6 deals with that. It would be prohibited for the nonnative species that they later identify as being prohibited from import.

Copied from document...(6) breed any nonnative wildlife species that is prohibited from being imported under paragraph (1), or provide any such species to another person for breeding purposes.

UNLESS they are granted a permit to do so....

Copied from document...(a) In General- The Secretary may issue a permit authorizing importation otherwise prohibited under section 6(a)(1), for scientific research, medical, accredited zoological or aquarium display purposes, or for educational purposes that are specifically reviewed, approved, and verified by the Secretary, if the Secretary finds that there has been a proper showing by the permittee of responsibility for the specimen and continued protection of the public interest and health with respect to the specimen.

This has absolutely nothing to do with domestic animals, or chinchillas. Chins are considered domestic farm animals in the U.S.

This is for things like new species of flying squirrels from Australia or exotic frogs from Africa. Things like fire ants, rats and nutria were brought in and took over. There are now no quail in the state of LA due to fire ants. It is about time they stiffened up the legislation for this stuff so they can legally inspect foreign shipments for pests.

Of course reptile people are upset! They like bringing in the exotic poisonous stuff. Heck, I had some giant tanzanian millipedes for awhile. They would most likely fall under that import ban. They were neat pets, I've uploaded a picture. :D

Edited to add it is for new imports, the stuff already here is here and would not be covered under this legislation.

This is what I got from it as well. It is more creating an uproar in the snake and reptile community. Here in FL we had a huge problem with monitor lizards that people were letting go after they got too big to be a pet. They were eating small dogs and people were sure kids were next. It was scary. I sure as heck don't want a snake or lizard in my yard that does not belong here that can eat me or my kids!

This has absolutely nothing to do with domestic animals, or chinchillas. Chins are considered domestic farm animals in the U.S.

This is for things like new species of flying squirrels from Australia or exotic frogs from Africa. Things like fire ants, rats and nutria were brought in and took over. There are now no quail in the state of LA due to fire ants. It is about time they stiffened up the legislation for this stuff so they can legally inspect foreign shipments for pests.

Of course reptile people are upset! They like bringing in the exotic poisonous stuff. Heck, I had some giant tanzanian millipedes for awhile. They would most likely fall under that import ban. They were neat pets, I've uploaded a picture. :D

Edited to add it is for new imports, the stuff already here is here and would not be covered under this legislation.

This is what I got from it as well. It is more creating an uproar in the snake and reptile community. I understand why it is needed, and also understand how slippery of a slope it is, which scares me.

Here in FL we had a huge problem with monitor lizards that people were letting go after they got too big to be a pet. They were eating small dogs and people were sure kids were next. It was scary. I sure as heck don't want a snake or lizard in my yard that does not belong here that can eat me or my kids!

It does specify under the list of "approved species" any other animal that is obviously domesticated. So, I am guessing animals bred in the states would be exempt from this. I think the aim here is to prevent the importation of exotics that could then be released into the environment and cause ecological damage, like the snakehead fish in Maryland and DC, or the constrictors that have been released into the everglades.

Did anyone read it?

It will have NOTHING to do with owning exoticanimals, reptile breeders will not get shut down, hedgies can still be owned, this entire bill is about IMPORTING animals from out of the US. How many people here have a pet who was imported and not bred domestically?

Let's say I wanted to start breeding a purple striped chalula with 12 toes on each foot, but they are only found in Honalee, since they are not native to the US, I would have to go through hoops to get them. If the council decides they are a non-invasive species and will not harm anything if they get loose, they will not destroy crops, property, or take away from other native animals property, then I will be able to import them. If not, I can not import them.

I personally think it's a good law. If it had been enacted long ago we wouldn't have starlings here, that I personally despise. They are mean, aggressive, destructive birds, that kill helpful birds like purple martins and take over their nests and kill their young. They are loud and annoying, I could go on... They are in the US only because some idiot thought we needed to import every bird that were in any of Shakespeare's works.

ETA:
I sure as heck don't want a snake or lizard in my yard that does not belong here that can eat me or my kids!
Two words for you... paintball gun. This is why I do not have starlings on my property and my other birds can live happily. My wild finch population has increased dramatically since I got one. And apparently the smaller birds know I'm not going for them, because they don't fly off when I shot it.

Last edited:
I'd love to see blue, red, and yellow starlings! Problem is, around here, too many homes! In the winter, they come in flocks of a thousand or more, making a mess wherever they go! [I've Cardinals here]
Being as I fish, I've read a lot about those "snakeheads" in Maryland - I guess they caught some coming in to the states, illegally, as they're considered a delicacy[sp?] in the orient, and someone had the "bright" idea it'd be cheaper to let them breed in our rivers! Very nasty looking, they attack and eat anything that moves! Teeth like a barracuda! Have already taken over like 50 miles of that river!
They've even warned swimmers!

Actually, I agree with Nicole. I think it's ridiculous that people import lions and tigers and anything else they want "just cuz." It's ridiculous for people to have a "pet" like that! These animals are not meant to be pets. I don't think people think through half of what they do, and end up with animals they are not prepared for.

It's like the old saying "Keeping up with the Joneses." Well if HE has a corn snake, I have to have a python. If she has a tiger, I have to have a wild captured male lion. It's absolutely stupid and somebody NEEDS to put a stop to it.

They stop the harmless little things, like prairie dogs that were bred here in the US, but they let lions, tigers, and God knows what else in. Forget it.

ETA - EXACTLY Chantel. Who in their right flippin' mind keeps an animal like that as a PET?

I have to agree here with Chantel on this one. Here in FL we are always seeing on the news about a Boa that someone let go and now is the size of a bus. People's cats start going missing, then small dogs and then they bring out a snake that has to be put in a dog crate I could fit into. If this animal got itself around me I don't think I could get away and I am a 5'2" adult let alone a child.

I can understand about owning a reptile, and that its the stupid people that punish those that really do take care of their pets. But,, just go on any craigslist pets section in Fl and see all of the snakes people are trying to unload. It is sad.. truly sad that it has come to congress having to pass laws for bad pet owners.

ETA: Up north in the Ocala area they even have animal auctions(they auction off small animals for food) for those pet owners of large cats. I do not even want to think if one of those got loose down here. Florida seems to be the place for all the exotic pets.. I remember driving on the highway once and seeing a zebra out in a field with horses. I had to do a double take on that one.. LOL

Last edited:
Says police Sgt. Kurt Hixenbaugh: "There is no leash law for snakes."

That is AWESOME! Seriously.. how does a 20+' , 120 lb snake just "accidentally get out? Hey honey.. did you shut the door so the snaked don't get out?! I'm guessing they had them outside for some reason and they go away from them.

That makes me think of Spongebob with the worm on a leash after Gary left and he was looking for a new pet..:D

I seem to remember the snake they caught in the Orlando area the person let it go when it was much smaller. There is a huge problem with large snakes breeding and living in the everglades.

That is AWESOME! Seriously.. how does a 20+' , 120 lb snake just "accidentally get out? Hey honey.. did you shut the door so the snaked don't get out?! I'm guessing they had them outside for some reason and they go away from them.

Never mind the door, all it needs is a hole slightly larger than the diameter of its body :p (But seriously its possible that the owner simply did not lock the cages, many snake enclosures require locks exactly because of this )

It all comes down to if the animal can be safely provided a good quality of life, if they cant, it should not be a pet. ( i can understand certain reptiles, but large cats? that is just too much )

I know, but a snake that big is HUGE around! My friend's snake is less than half that size and I know I can't put my hands around her, that's not just a mouse hole or a little hole in a screen door or window!

Seriously though, please do your research on stuff like this before jumping on the wagon, this is how certain organizations get things passed, they get people riled up and tell them what they want them to know or think and everyone signs stuff asking them to pass or not pass bills that they really don't know about.

I know, but a snake that big is HUGE around! My friend's snake is less than half that size and I know I can't put my hands around her, that's not just a mouse hole or a little hole in a screen door or window!

Seriously though, please do your research on stuff like this before jumping on the wagon, this is how certain organizations get things passed, they get people riled up and tell them what they want them to know or think and everyone signs stuff asking them to pass or not pass bills that they really don't know about.

You are absolutely right. When she started to tell me about it i knew i had to post here as all of you would start investigating & be able to break things down.

Ahhh I feel better, which is why i posted... the way that the reptile community is portraying things is that it will affect everything, even already imported exotics. She(my friend) made sure to up roar that my chinchillas, hedgies, gliders, etc wouldnt be of the exception, which is why i kinda got a little nervous. As said decoding their document is never an easy task for me.

I also couldnt agree more that tigers, lions, big snakes, & other reptiles honestly shouldnt be exported to begin with nor kept as pets for any reason. People are are too irresponsible with little pets, so naturally the ones that are with the big ones are certainly to blame. And its fully understandable as when they survive out in an area they shouldnt they cause a lot of harm.

Last edited:
Kate - I totally agree about people being irresponsible! Didn't someone just ask about replacing a chin because her pair got out of the cage [?] and they only found one? Months ago?

Not sure i know about that incident, but im sure its happened. Just think people leaving a cage door of an elephant or lion open, not such a harmless ending.

So, in attempting to sum up: "We'll decide if a non-native animal is safe to keep as a pet and if it's not, you can't keep it... unless it's already been made a pet before we made the rule."

If I'm understanding this correctly, I think the bill addresses the wrong issue.

First off, "Freed" Retics, Pacu, and Monitor Lizards causing the issues are already kept and bred domestically, so unless the necessary legal minds nail down a definition of "domestication" that sets a duration of existence in captive breeding (which *could* touch chinchilla owners, since they've only been successfully bred for about 100 years), I'm not sure how much this is going to help with things like Nutrias, Zebra Mussels, and Floridian Crocodilians outgrowing bathtubs. If the bill is aimed at keeping the Spectacled Caiman out of Maude Lebowitz's Sunshine, FL swimming pool, it's not going to help: Some irresponsible herper in the States already has a potential resident in a tank in his/her basement.

I don't see exotic pet keeping as the problem here; the stupid sort of pet owners that dump animals they don't want or can't handle outside are, and this applies to a surprising number of 'domestic' animal problems as well. (Think outdoor/feral cat colonies and declining songbird populations, or the University of Victoria's "wild" domestic Lop mix rabbit covered quad for starters.) But this brings to light the eternal question: Can one beat sense into the senseless, or should one just beat the senseless anyway? (Joke, that's a joke. :clown: )

I'd rather see it made a felony to release *any* non-native species into the wild, rather than see their import/export banned (exception being big cats, etc.). The in and out (that I understand this bill to address) isn't the problem; the lack of thinking, research and care endemic to crappy pet ownership is.

Latest posts

Back