Anyone with pets of any kind MUST read!!!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midwest Exotics

CnQ member since 2003
i didnt know where to post this as it involves both chinchillas & hedgehogs as well as reptiles & many other exotics.

A reptile buddy of mine IMed me this evening to inform me of bill H.R.669 that is potentially going to be passed if members of the animal community do not stand up for the rights of ourselves & our pets!

I was skeptical upon her explaining what this all meant, but upon my further investigation i found government documents dealing with this.

As i can see a side to their point, this would really break a lot of pet people's hearts to have something like this happen. The pet world would be forever changed!

I still have yet to read everything documented, but thought i would share as it rattled my nerves & scared me a little.

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h669/text

http://www.usark.org/

EEEK!!!! My house would be so incredibly empty & lonely.:(

A very interesting read. Sad, I think there are other things they need to be addressing, but an interesting read, none the less.

It would be a sad course of events, but i do totally understand where they are coming from. Its really the general public's fault because THEY are the ones releasing their animals into the wild which is causing the problems.

A few bad eggs spoils the whole bunch i guess.

I couldnt imagine, at least here, a chinchilla being much of a threat, they would not survive my winter or my summer for that matter. I know my state doesn't allow hedghogs, but I am not well versed on it. As to why, and I have heard you can and you can't have them.

So at least for my area I can not see a chinchilla being on the can't own list.

I couldnt imagine, at least here, a chinchilla being much of a threat, they would not survive my winter or my summer for that matter. I know my state doesn't allow hedghogs, but I am not well versed on it. As to why, and I have heard you can and you can't have them.

So at least for my area I can not see a chinchilla being on the can't own list.

As i do agree that pretty much every pet i own aside from the ferrets & cats, none of my pets would have a chance to survive for long out in the wild.

From what i read the bill says that its ANY animal that is imported into the US. To me that sounds like anything that doesnt currently live in the wild in the US??

I just wonder if those who already own these animals could be grandfathered in or would they be forced to get rid of their pets which seems to me to be detrimental to their cause. It would just cause a larger influx of animals that would be disposed of. I do understand the reasoning but if we can't mandate fixing dogs and cats what makes them feel that they need to do the same to other animals. There goes some more free will. (sigh)

I'm wondering if this is mainly for the halting of the imports of larger exotics. The leopards/tigers/etc that people try to own.

Im not sure, that has also crossed my mind, but in the reptile community people seem to be pretty stirred up.

I honestly couldnt see something like this going forward.. but i guess thats the only ONE way to put a stop to the over population of a lot of them & of course the ones that get dumped into the wild.

Yeah. I just can't imagine they'd be able to take all the small exotic mammals and reptiles from homes like that. I mean, seriously. Our own local Animal Control officers couldn't make it around the city to ensure all dogs were licensed like they were supposed to.

You would certainly think that somehow, as said, the ones everyone already has would be grandfathered in & not just taken from homes. Maybe they will allow people who already own to keep them, but not breed & after death do you part you cant purchase more?

I dont know. I posted because im still confused on what i have/havent read & figured others thoughts might help. lol

The reptile community is also very, very aware of things like this because so many people don't understand the wish to keep a reptile as a pet. Lawmakers and groups like PETA often attack them specifically because their pets aren't cute and cuddly and fuzzy like "normal" pets are. (Said as a dog, chinchilla, mouse and fish owner that's adding a snake to the family this summer.)

I just wish I could find the bill summarized in some kind of plain English before I decide what to make of it. Is some wise person :)sarcasm1:) in Government trying to mandate a rubric for "deciding" if an animal is "Safe for America" or something? That's kind of what I got out of it, but I haven't had to read legalese for a decade (government class). I'm a little rusty.

Hopefully one of lawyer members will jump on here soon and will be able to give a laymen's translation.

If you notice, almost every other word is wildlife! I really think they're talking about animals that can destroy natural habitat for natural species, kind of like polar bears into grizzly country - not enough food, and the polar bear could eat the grizzly! Since they don't go into specifics, imaginations run wild!
Maybe our resident Attorney - Chantel, can read through all this legal mumbo-jumbo and explain it in English!

This has absolutely nothing to do with domestic animals, or chinchillas. Chins are considered domestic farm animals in the U.S.

To prevent the introduction and establishment of nonnative wildlife species

This is for things like new species of flying squirrels from Australia or exotic frogs from Africa. Things like fire ants, rats and nutria were brought in and took over. There are now no quail in the state of LA due to fire ants. It is about time they stiffened up the legislation for this stuff so they can legally inspect foreign shipments for pests.

Of course reptile people are upset! They like bringing in the exotic poisonous stuff. Heck, I had some giant tanzanian millipedes for awhile. They would most likely fall under that import ban. They were neat pets, I've uploaded a picture. :D

Edited to add it is for new imports, the stuff already here is here and would not be covered under this legislation.

Attachments

• Integrity.jpg
    Integrity.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 138
Im not sure, that has also crossed my mind, but in the reptile community people seem to be pretty stirred up.

Unfortunately a lot of members of the reptile community are to blame for proposed legislation like this.

Florida and many other warm Southern states have big problems with herps intended as pets being released when they're no longer wanted. Pythons and Boas that grow so large and can target people's animals and small children are the biggest concern.

But even in the 70's in Hawaii they had a problem with Jackson's chameleons encroaching on native species' habitat. And it all began with someone just releasing them.

Anyways, like a broken record, too many people just aren't smart enough with the animals they take on.

However, I agree, I can't see something like this passing. It's a very broad subject to approach, let alone try to control.

I can't see this passing either. I see all kinds of stuff in front of my house that shouldn't be there, including some lizard from Madagascar I think that I saw in the zoo a few months ago, about 2 feet long. I read a little bit and it did say importation, but further down it said breeding of prohibited animals would be illegal. I haven't read the whole thing, but they don't seem to even have a list yet. It's something to watch, deffinately, but it amazes me how many HR's never go anywhere.

Yeah, the states that mimic a more tropical climate seem to have the worst raps about this because of the obvious, Reptiles especially do well there.

The reptile community has more reason to be worried as those are generally the animals at hand & its usually from the animal killing a person, plant, other other animal/insect/etc living there.

It really is a scary thing, but i as you all agree, i dont think its going to happen. I really think people need to step back & honestly know that letting them loose should never be an option. With large snakes & other potentially hazardous animals they should absolutely have to get a ton of info on the purchaser. Or have something along the lines of a USDA so they would have inspections. If the animal came up missing it would be reported. (it would be far fetched, but if those types of animals are allowed it really should be better monitored.) I would really hope chinchillas & other rodents would be included on the keeper list. Perhaps only pelters would be 'allowed' to breed?

Last edited:
Section 3(f) states: Animals Owned Lawfully Prior to Prohibition of Importation- This Act and regulations issued under this Act shall not interfere with the ability of any person to possess an individual animal of any species if such individual animal was legally owned by the person before the risk assessment is begun pursuant to subsection (e)(3), even if such species is later prohibited from being imported under the regulations issued under this Act.

That means that, as long as you aren't breaking the law by keeping your animals before this law comes out, you'll get to keep your animals afterward, EVEN IF the species you own become illegal to import.

Personally, I understand the reasoning behind this. Too many people have released non-native animals into the wild, to the detriment of our native species.

Latest posts

Back